Marijuana LEGALIZATION bill alive in WA state legislature HB 2401

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by SeattleRes, Dec 14, 2009.

1. That schoolkid got DESTROYED. Good.

2. anyone wanna make a wager on which way this is going to go?

3. Holy shit! Even the quakers are for legalization!!

4. I'm happy more people on on our side! We may have a victory!:smoking:

5. next week, 1:30. be there or be square.:smoking:

6. that committee hearing was crazy, no control, crazy enough that they might pass the bills.

7. I was pretty confident about the decriminalization bill, but I did not think the full legalization bill had a shot. I'm happy to say that more people were on our side. I still am not sure it will pass, but the decriminalization bill WILL pass, and I think the legalization bill has a SHOT at passing. Let's pray!:rolleyes:

8. #28 Lucien Lachance, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2010
    If getting marijuana becomes the same as getting liquor for minors, I'll be very upset.

15% a gram, huh? How much will a gram cost?

9. I think the idea is to put the decriminalization bill and the full legalization bill together , knowing that chances are that at least one will pass (decriminalization) thus setting the stage for future legalization.

10. They don't specify that in the bill. Thats where the free market comes in.

With it being illegal currently, the price has shot up due to the risk and scarcity. But in a legal market with a huge supply that will be grown within the first 6 months of legalization the market will be flooded with litterally TONS of weed. This will cause the price to drop dramatically. I'm guessing mabye at the most $10 a gram and at the least mabye $5 a gram. 5 sounds good to me thats, 4 grams for 20 bucks. Advertizing could be made emphasizing the 4 and the 20 to make the number(if you haven't guessed) 420 stand out!

:smoking:stoned

11. Decrimnilization is just going to cause more problems with the black market and is a pretty stupid idea.

We need full out legalization so that the state and buisnesses can profit off of it, instead of drug dealers. Legalization is the only option!

12. Can we please get rid of the other sticky that talks about the 2008 or 2009 Washington decriminalization bill? Pleeeeease?

13. I spy a hot bish in that hearing video (behind the speakers that sit in front of the audience)

Great speaker was Roger Goodman. He resold me on legalization

14. Heh I posted that numerous times, and even PM'd about 10 moderators about that...I think the grasscityy. community is pretty lazy about sticky/unsticky.

The decrim is now active for 09-10 and was debated today by TONS in the legislature however.

15. #35 Madrid, Jan 14, 2010
    [​IMG]
    \t
    haha.

just haha.

16. WRITE YOUR REPRESENTIVES!! Make sure to include arguments that are more refined then, "I wanna get stoned legally." Watch the video, (it's on a rerun, but everything is recorded), to formulate an argument that would appeal to them. Here's my letter to my congressman:

We can get this passed!!

17. #37 Don Piano, Jan 14, 2010
    not promoting violence, but 10 to 1 odds says that kid gets his ass handed to him in school tomorrow.:smoking:

Where the hell was Norm Stamper? (sp?)

Ohh, and what the F was NORML saying no to the bill for? No, "It needs to be amended and then we support it." Just flAt out "we do not support this bill".

18. That hat is classic

19. We've found our mascot!

Did you hear this guys testimony? It was like, whoa.

20. #40 Green Wizard, Jan 14, 2010

Not a good way to make new friends. And that poor kid is in the history books now. R.I.P.

Norml says no? What? I missed like the first 30min. Don't remember hearing this. It doesn't make sense. But then again, much of the hearing didn't. No order in that room.

edit:

Donny P, we're good like wood:

Testimony in Favor of HB 1177 and HB 2401, Before the House Committee on Public Safety & Emergency Preparedness

January 13, 2010

By
    Paul Armentano
    Deputy Director
    NORML | NORML Foundation

I applaud the members of the House Committee on Public Safety & Emergency Preparedness for holding this hearing regarding House Bills 1177 and 2401, which seek to amend Washington's marijuana laws.

House Bill 1177, and its companion bill SB 5615, amends penalties for minor marijuana possession offenses from a criminal misdemeanor (punishable by up to 90 days in jail) to a monetary penalty of no more than $100. This is a common sense and fiscally responsible change that will ensure that adults who possess small quantities of cannabis for their own personal use will no longer be subject to arrest or prosecution, or the emotional, social, and financial hardships that follow.

In 2007 law enforcement nationwide arrested nearly 873,000 persons for marijuana violations – the highest annual total ever recorded.[1] Of those arrested, approximately 90 percent were charged with minor marijuana possession only.[2] These prosecutions bring tremendous and fiscal, professional, and emotional hardships upon those arrested – including (potentially): incarceration, probation and mandatory drug testing; loss of employment; loss of child custody; removal from subsidized housing; asset forfeiture; loss of student aid; loss of voting privileges; loss of adoption rights; and loss of certain federal welfare benefits, such as food stamps. It is illogical and irrational for the state to allocate its limited law enforcement, prosecutorial, and judicial resources targeting and punishing these otherwise law-abiding adults.

Further, law enforcement resource allocation is a zero-sum gain. The time that a police officer spends arresting and processing minor marijuana offenders is time when he or she is not out on the streets protecting the public from more significant criminal activity. Passage of HB 1177 would allow law enforcement, prosecutors, and the courts to re-allocate their existing resources toward activities that will more effectively target serious criminal behavior and keep the public safe. The move would also have the added benefit of saving state taxpayers' money. According the fiscal note prepared by the Washington State Office of Financial Management for SB 5615, enacting HB 1177 would save state taxpayers over $16 million annually.

Public opinion strongly favors such a reprioritization of law enforcement resources. Marijuana 'decriminalization,' as proposed under HB 1177 presently enjoys support from the majority of Americans. According to a recent CNN/Time Magazine poll, approximately three out of four citizens favor a fine over criminal penalties for the possession of marijuana.[3] In fact, thirteen states – including Oregon, Maine, Nebraska, Ohio, and Mississippi – have already enacted various forms of marijuana decriminalization, replacing criminal sanctions with the imposition of fine-only penalties for minor marijuana offenders.[4] In November 2008, 65 percent of Massachusetts voters approved a statewide proposal nearly identical to HB 1177.

Finally, the passage of HB 1177 would not negatively impact marijuana use patterns or attitudes in Washington. Passage of similar legislation in other states has not led to increased marijuana use or altered adolescents' perceptions regarding the potential harms of drug use. In fact, the only US government study ever commissioned to assess whether the enforcement of strict legal penalties positively impacts marijuana use found, "Overall, the preponderance of the evidence which we have gathered and examined points to the conclusion that decriminalization has had virtually no effect either on the marijuana use or on related attitudes and beliefs about marijuana use among American young people." [5]

While passage of HB 1177 is a necessary first step to help lawmakers reduce state costs and improve public safety, NORML ultimately favors the creation of a legal, regulated, controlled cannabis market for adults over 21 years of age. By enacting state regulations governing the use, production and distribution of marijuana by adults, legislators can effectively impose controls regarding:

Which citizens can legally produce marijuana;
    Which citizens can legally distribute marijuana;
    Which citizens can legally consume marijuana;
    And where, and under what circumstances, is such use legally permitted.
    The absence of existing state and local government controls – as is the case under present law – jeopardizes rather than promotes, public safety.

For example, prohibition abdicates the control of marijuana production and distribution to criminal entrepreneurs such as Mexican drug cartels, street gangs, and drug dealers who push additional illegal substances;

Prohibition provides young people with easier access to marijuana than they have alcohol;

Prohibition promotes the use of marijuana in inappropriate and potentially dangerous settings such as in automobiles and other public places;

Finally, prohibition promotes disrespect for the law and reinforces ethnic and generation divides between the public and law enforcement. According to the FBI Uniform Crime Report, 75 percent of all marijuana arrestees are under age 30; African Americans account for only 12 percent of marijuana users, but comprise 23 percent of all possession arrests.[6] This policy, at best, creates widespread disrespect for the rule of law and, at worst, threatens the stability of society.

In closing, both HB 2401 and HB 1177 seek to reduce government expenditures and promote public safety. These are goals that lawmakers should support. It makes no sense to continue to treat responsible adult cannabis consumers as criminals.

# END #

Paul Armentano is the deputy director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), and is the co-author of the book Marijuana Is Safer: So Why Are We Driving People to Drink? (Chelsea Green, 2009). His writing on marijuana policy has appeared in over a dozen anthologies and in over 500 newspapers and magazines. He is a former consultant to Health Canada.