Marijuana LEGALIZATION bill alive in WA state legislature HB 2401

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by SeattleRes, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Breaking news!!!!!! Mj legalization legislation alive in wa state - hb 2401
    \t\t\t \t\t\t

THERE IS FULL LEGALIZATION AND TAXATION LEGISLATION ALIVE IN THE WA STATE LEGISLATURE. It will be debated this January, as well as the decrim bill.

Let's hope it passes and please email your local representatives and senators.

HB 2401 - 2009-10

Details:

Adults 21+ legal and taxed cannabis sold at state run liquor stores.
    Cultivation and distribution also fully legal.
    Tax is 15% sales tax per gram.

2. say whatttttt? that's OD

3. bout time hope it passes it won't but ill still hope

4. Woooo... That would be sweet....

Although.... I skimmed through the proposed changes to law...looks like you'll only be able to buy from liquor stores, and personal possession of weed not purchased through the liquor store and liquor control board will be a crime. :(
    Correct me if I'm mistaken....

5. That's definitely not correct (though not really your fault, the language the use in these kinds of things are crazy, at least for the actual bill). I haven't read the entire bill but have most of it. Most all of the government supplied cannabis will be sold through liquor stores, but with this bill any business that goes through inspections and gets a $500 business license to sell cannabis will be able to do so legally so you would definitely see it being sold in head shops, dispensaries and even grocery stores if some decided to make that jump.

6. #6 ChiefinUp, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
    Hmmm.... interesting, I'll have to re-read when I have more time.

The other problem I see... Is that state contracted liquor stores would be at odds with federal laws...
    During the decrim bill effort in the house, Chris Hurst held it up because of lesser reasons.... I hope no one gets away with that this time!

This is what I'm talking about:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/legaliza...ashington-state-h-b-1177-a-3.html#post3814476
    If Chris Hurst won't support decrim, I'm sure he won't support legalization.

At the very very very least, that even if the legalization bill doesn't pass, they reintroduce the decrim bill... If the legalization bill gets close, the descrim bill should be a shoe-in

7. Is Washington State going to reschedule Marijuana?

As long as it is still listed as a schedule one in the state of Washington it will still be illegal. Even if this passes.

No ammount of wording will change this fact.

The wording is centered around current scheduling of drugs, if marijuana rescheduling does not happen, then this bill is a wash out.

The only thing it will do is strip medical users of rights to grow there own and force all to buy from state of washington, period.

any other questions...​

8. It's a good time for the bill; the new budget is going to slash higher education apart, including getting rid of about half of the state need grant money. So any revenue is good revenue. But I won't hold my breath till I see a companion bill in the senate with Murray or Kohl-Wells signatures on it.

And this is going to sound really misogynistic, and I really really don't mean it to... but I don't think that we can have a legalization bill and expect a female governor to sign it, since female politicians always have to put forth the extra effort to look "tough on crime".

9. The medical patients thing is an angle I hadn't thought of. The bill doesn't say anything about medical marijuana patients. I would assume that since the bill doesn't abolish it then it would retain the medical system, with the specially licensed growers and all that. It'd just be a weird two-tier system, and the marijuana-for-healthy-adults tier would get shut down like that.

10. If I'm not mistaken this is her last term as governor so I don't think we'd have to worry about that as much as if this came up before the last election.

11. It won't pass, but the more people discuss it the better

12. I think you guys have this all wrong. First off this is a bill the reps have introduced into this years general assembly of congress. That means for the whole country! they mean Washington DC not Washington state. So if this bill passes it will take effect on a federal level not state.

13. 5char

14. u are absolutely right Madrid. I followed the article all the way from a different page and it was not worded properly. I thought it was something they where discussing at congress level but i see now that i was mistaken unfortunately for everyone not livin in Washington state. I think Washington state has just taken the lead in my considerations about what state i was goin to move to by the end of the year. Even tho Cali would be nice, Washington might be an easier place to relocate to lol

15. Lets see New Jersey MMJ passed, California had a symbolic yes vote today. What's up Washington state? Is tomorrow the vote? Good luck.

16. Hey guy's they need something like 240,000 signatures to get it put on the november ballot.

We need to find a way to get our signatures out there. :devious:

17. There is that amount of people.

Shouldn't WA NORML be doing something about this? I remember someone talking on here a while back about how he has half the signatures already just in one college he just couldn't get them because of some stupid legal reason that had an easy loophole around it.

18. These proceedings are a mess. They talk about the decrim bill, then the legalization bill, then back to the decrim bill. one person speaks for it, then another against. Just convoluted mess.