Soil Help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by pootiebigwang, Dec 14, 2009.

1. My roommate and I have almost started the epic journey to growing. The only thing I am wondering about is if I need anything extra for the soil. We bought some organic soil mix from Farmer D and also bought a big ass bag of earthworm castings and perlite. The Soil Mix consists of (according to the back of the bag):

55% aged pine bark
    30% farmer d biodynamic compost (which consist of cotton gin waste, pine peelings, chicken litter, composted green waste, peat humus, granite dust, processed yarrow, chamomile, nettle, oak bark, dandelion, valerian and horsetail herb)
    10% top soil
    5% sand

What else do you recommend that I add to this soil without it killing the young plants? We already bought some fox farms nutes for a little bit down the road for vegetative and flowering stages. Also I would like this soil mix to last me from seed to harvest with no transplanting.

also what ratio should each ingredient be for a 5 gallon pot grow (although the pot itself is 20 gal would that really make a difference? I didn't think i would need that big of a pot but it was free so what the heck) like 50% soil 25% perlite 25% earthworm castings?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. I'm only replying to say I've never heard of your soil. Odds are, not many other people here have as well. Try researching what other people have written on the internet about it before throwing a random question around.

Your post makes it sound like your only growing one plant. You only have a 50/50 shot of getting a plant you can use. You need 1 planter per plant. A 5 gallon planter will cost $4-5 so just sack up and get them.

3. you could mix some of those veg fox farm nutes into the soil. you sound quite set though.

4. my question really wasn't towards the soil itself (which makes my thread title misleading). I know that not many people have this soil, however not everyone has access to fox farms soil and shipping it alone is too much money. I already know this soil is fine as it is organic and not pre-nuted like miracle gro. My question was mostly towards what extra things (ferts, perlite, etc) I need to add to the soil outside of what I already have and what ratio the mixture should be in.

I have feminized seeds so one plant under a 400w hps system is more than enough for both of us and it being our first grow I would rather see how we handle one plant before trying to add more.

I came here because last time I looked it said absolute beginners and unfortunately the majority of the posts about soil are just about people who use fox farms and black gold both of which are not readily available in my area.