Welcome to Grasscity Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Gas from a lighter

• Please log in to reply

bmxblaze

bmxblaze

• Registered Upgraded
  • 114 posts
Is the gas from a lighter harmful? Even at the small amounts that you inhale when you light a pipe? I read this on the beeline hemp wire website but i thought that it might just be advertisement to sell their product.

Similar Topics: Gas from a lighter     x

David5534

David5534

• Registered Upgraded
  • 900 posts
Butane isn't really good to be breathing in but as long as your lighters flame isn't green then all the butane is burning off.

legalizeitMI

legalizeitMI

Smokin since '07

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I used to wonder the same thing back whn I started toking, ur fine as long as your not tryin to huff it or somthin

AuZy_BudZ

AuZy_BudZ

• Registered Upgraded
  • 112 posts
Well we are breathing in Carcinogens anyway. I am sure a little butane is not gonna harm us, unless u are sitting there inhaling it.

I would wonder more if it will kill our high then the harms of it. lol

Shazbuckle

Shazbuckle

Weed And Beer

• Registered Upgraded
  • 377 posts
Get beeline!

"It does require an external flame, candles work
great when convienient . Lighters also work great.
Let bee line take the butane hit for you, so you're
not inhaling the butane gas and flint directly from
the lighter. Skip the stinky chemicals released from
matches altogether. "

:D

No seriously, beeline rocks. You can even make it yourself!

http://forum.grassci...ht=make beeline

Edited by Shazbuckle, 13 December 2009 - 05:31 PM.

MrGers

MrGers

Taco Aficionado

• Registered Upgraded
  • 6,884 posts

Butane isn't really good to be breathing in but as long as your lighters flame isn't green then all the butane is burning off.

I'm sure there's some chemistry behind this, any chance you can explain it?

dazednconfuzed

dazednconfuzed

Man On The Moon

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
If you're breathing the butane gas directly, without combusting it, that would be harmful (some people do this, it is an "inhalant" that when abused leads to extensive brain damage). However any hydrocarbon (butane, propane, etc) will combust in the presence of oxygen to water and carbon dioxide:

2C4H10 + 13O2 ---> 10H2O + 8CO2

Or more generalized for any saturated hydrocarbon:

C(n)H(2n+2) + O2 ---> CO2 + H2O

Long as you have a flame you'll be fine.

Edited by dazednconfuzed, 13 December 2009 - 08:05 PM.

ChronicBxR

ChronicBxR

"Pro-toker"

• Registered Upgraded
  • 526 posts

If you're breathing the butane gas directly, without combusting it, that would be harmful (some people do this, it is an "inhalant" that when abused leads to extensive brain damage). However any hydrocarbon (butane, propane, etc) will combust in the presence of oxygen to water and carbon dioxide:

2C4H10 + 13O2 ---> 10H2O + 8CO2

Or more generalized for any saturated hydrocarbon:

C(n)H(2n+2) ---> CO2 + H2O

Long as you have a flame you'll be fine.

This ^^^

But lots of CO2 isn't very good either, but beeline won't help you there.

I always felt better using beeline than butane anyways though.

Picklesnshakes

Picklesnshakes

Exploding Pickle in Sig

• Registered Upgraded
  • 831 posts
Butane poisoning sucks ass. I got it once while smoking salvia. It was my first time, and the person at the counter suggested I get a torch lighter because salvia requires a higher temperature I guess. Anyways, when I went to smoke the salvia, I was having problems with the torch lighter igniting. So while I was trying to spark it, the torch lighter is still shooting butane gas (that I am inhaling because I'm trying to smoke the salvia). I had a little salvia experience (it was only 5x) and then I got a whole boat load of negative symptoms. I got really nervous, had nausea, cold sweats, the whole thing. It lasted for about 1-2 hours and then I was fine. I thought at first that it was the salvia that did it, but after I looked it up online I found that I had butane poisoning, everything matched perfectly.

So, moral of the story is don't inhale lots of butane through a torch lighter.

David5534

David5534

• Registered Upgraded
  • 900 posts

I'm sure there's some chemistry behind this, any chance you can explain it?

You mean why the flame is green when the butane isn't fully combusting, i'm not really 100% sure but i remember hearing it had something to do with the flame not getting enough oxygen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users