R.E.'s First Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Rotten Egg, Dec 11, 2009.

1. finally got some clones today (northern lights and luscious purple) from my clinic..they werent the best looking clones but i hope they work!
    my set up is roots organic soil and 1 600watt hps light. I just gave them 200ml of water and put them in there new homes...any advice and comments welcomed!

[​IMG]

luscious purple
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lookin good.
    you should have gotten seeds though, its a much more rewarding experience to smoke something you grew COMPLETELY on your own.

im not telling you whats right or wrong, just id prefer that if I was growing at all, i would start from the beginning.

vury nice setup though. hopefully in some time those babies will put out some dank buds!

props.

3. I plan to eventually once i get the hang of things this way was a sure fire way of getting a female and since i smoke for medical reasons it will give me bud faster since im going broke at my clinic lol...thanks for the input im gonna try to get some better pics and try to read some more im still unclear on a watering schedule but right im looking at 200ml every 3 days until these girls "talk" to me a little more

4. after doing some reading, i felt i hadnt watered enough...ive very new to this and it seems water is one of the untalked about topics lol

i gave a half gallon of water to each plant...the luscious purple seemed to be wilting a little bit. the top of the northern lights is a little yellow, i got it that way and one leaf on the purple is a little yellow too..hope i can get pass this.

the stem of the purple is a little dark, kind of weird
    [​IMG]

wilting a little bit?
    [​IMG]

the top of the NL
    [​IMG]

also ive read that clones should go to 18/6 off the bat and ive also read 24/0 anyone have any input? guess i'll see these threw, i dont know how long to veg for either hopefully between the books i have, grow journals and some help from ya'll i'll get this going good :cool:

5. Looks like you got started now. With watering watch for the plant to tell you when to water, when the leaves droop its time to water this will give you an idea on how fast are using up the moisture. Maybe give the purple cindy a little support on the main stem.

I use a 18/6 cycle for my clones/veg but you will get more growth with the 24/0 is the thought. How long you veg is your choice, rember plant can double in height when they flower so you dont want them to outgrow your space.

6. Hi R.E. like burntwood said, water when they need it, don't put them on a watering schedule. I use a cheap Moisture Meter to tell when my plants are thirsty. Over watering the young ones can kill them just like under watering. Plants will also droop when they're over watered.

When a plant is over watered, it prohibits o2 (oygen) from getting to the root zone. just like the plant's leaves need co2, the roots need and LIKE o2.

In my grows, I let the soil dry out to the point where the meter reads dry...or the red zone as I call it, then I water the hell out of them. If I were to guess, I would say your plant's have plenty of water for the next week.

Other than that, looks like you're off to a fine start......can't wait to see your Purple plant at the end of it's life............good luck and good growin'

chunk

7. I just checked my girls, I had thought about helping the purple stand straight up but it seems after the water and the hps light shes starting to stand tall and proud! she has alot of under leafs that are curled up/almost like there dieing but the bigger leafs are thriving.

the NL is getting her color back so that makes me feel good. I was thinking of picking up a water meter today too since i need to get something to spray (like a spray bottle) them. im thinking i should get a fan for them too oscalate on them.

im very thankful to have 2 people in my grow so early into it....major help indeed ive seen people go a couple weeks with issues before getting some regulars in there grow so i thank u both :)

8. If the girls are starting to stand proud, they're getting adjusted to their new home.....and loving it.

Yes. a fan is a must have..........the gentle air circulation helps the plant/stem build strength, plus it circulates fresh air to the plant.

I'll be visiting your thread often R.E...........glad to have another fellow organic enthusiast.

chunk

9. yea im going to pick one up forsure today then. in early 2006 I had just came back from japan (i was stationed there) and my wife got on the organic food kick...every since then we havent looked back! we've tried to make every aspect in our life as GREEN as possible. Once I got medically retired from the military I had alot of issues and a fellow veteran introduced me to medicinal marijuana and I have since cut 5 daily pills out of my life and im down to 1 and my marijuana. its been a year now and ive now decided to grow for myself and organic was the only option. im just really thankful to have the resources available to do so....internet has become a gift and a curse haha

10. Since you've lived in Japan, you've probably heard of "Bokashi" composting. If not, do a Google search......a lot of organic enthusiasts use Bokash composting principles to reuse and re-vitalize their soils.

The internet has been a great teaching tool for me also. I grow medically for my wife, an MS patient. I use virtually all of the plant. Fan leaf, trimmings etc. go for hash/hash oil. Bud leaf or sugar leaf as we call it goes for canna-caps.

These are capsules I make that are taken like an herbal supplement. 2-3 capsules keep my wife medicated for 4-5 hours.

I use the under buds for tincture. Tincture is an extract that is made with grain alcohol. The extraction method makes a potent, powerful liquid medicine that can give 8-10 hours of extreme relief. You can place a dropperful or two under your tongue for immediate relief, or mix it with juice and it will start to work in an hour or so.

There is also canna butter, which acts like the tinctures, but is used in baked goods, on toast etc, which gives relief like the tincture. I haven't made canna butter yet........it's a calorie conscious thing.

Interestingly. I don't smoke/use weed myself.......I grow for my wife to help her manage her MS. I would march to the Capitol steps though to fight for MJ and MMJ patients rights to have it legalized.

Don't get me wrong, I used to smoke it back in the day......keeping a job with the possibility of a random drug test (invasion of privacy) is more important to me right now.

Besides, I get my kicks from growing it, and making all the home brewed/home made meds for my wife.

Glad to see that you too. can manage your health problems with this magical herb and not have to be a slave to the big pharmaceutical companies.

Have a good day.....................................chunk

11. those cannacaps sound awesome. being so new to this i love it, i get to learn so much and it gives me something to do since i usually sit at home all day. i wasnt into gardening when i was in japan but i will deff look up bokashi!

I think im going to go 9/10 days of vegging and then switch them over, also gonna look into scroging

12. Scrogging and LST are both good tools to up your yield......there is also supercropping. I supercropped a couple of my plants this grow. The thing I like about supercropping is it's the easiest to do (being lazy)

No incessant tying down, or tucking under screens, (although the results are better) but definitely all of the different methods will up your yield from one plant. This is especially useful in MMJ states with limits on the amount of plants you can have.

In my state, the laws are vague....we're allowed 15 plants........and 24ozs. dry, usable flowers. Nothing about veg/flower amounts, just 15 plants.

Keep up your studies, you will be richly rewarded.......both with meds and a new addicting hobby.

chunk

13. supercropping looks promising too, i had never heard of it. gonna take some better pics of the purple..shes worrying me

14. i got to figure out how to get my flash to work while taking these pics..stupid smart camera knows theres alot of light in there so wont flash so u can see the true colors lol

got a fan in there
    [​IMG]

the purple leafs im worried about
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

am i stressing too much and this is normal/just the plant bouncing back from going from being a clone to my 600watt hps?

15. Try taking pics right at lights out (if your on an 18/6 light cycle), otherwise you'll have to deal with the HPS making your pics seem yellow/red. Some folks here just use an incandescent or cfl bulb while taking their pics, then resume the HPS.

IMO, The tips of the leaves look like they were that way for a while. I'd pay more particular attention to the new emerging growth. Those leaves are going to eventually be at the bottom of the canopy, and will be the first to die and fall off anyways.

It's easy to be overly doting on your plants when first getting into growing, and eventually you will get a feel for their wants and needs. Don't stress too much, you've got a valuable resource here at GC.

If you ever need some immediate help a post here will get you some quick answers. jcj and oci are usually monitoring the thread closely, and will help at the drop of a hat. there are others that frequent the thread that chime in too, so help is always close.

Keep having a good weekend bro.....seems that your girls are in good hands.

chunk

16. Thanks chunk...i knew i was stressing hard...ive been debating about picking up a couple more clones to not "waste" all this space and light

17. If you've got the space......grow for it!

18. picked up a water meter which also has a pH level meter too good 10 bucks spent..picked up some more organic soil and 2 more clones (grand daddy purple and another northern lights)

also adjusted some settings on my camera and got some good pics :0)

all 4 ladies
    [​IMG]

from left to right
    northern lights #2 i picked up today
    [​IMG]

northern lights #1
    [​IMG]

grand daddy purple
    [​IMG]

luscious purple (she seems very happy :0))
    [​IMG]

19. Nice.........I just came into a Grand Daddy Purple clone myself........and a bunch of my plants that are about a week away from harvest are turning purple.

I crossed some of my regular strains earlier this year with a purple hash plant, but the hash plant really didn't show a deep purple. The plants from the seeds I made however, are really starting to get a deep, purple color. We've also had some arctic like weather, so my room has been getting down in the 60's at night. This could also be a factor in the purpling.

I'll have to add some pics to my grow journal.....the most recent pics show one of the plants just beginning to purple.

Glad you were able to fill out your grow space bro......it's gonna be twice the fun and excitement. Also, the new moisture meter is IMO, one of the best "tools of the trade". I wouldn't grow in soil without one.

I just did a bunch of retro-fitting in my room today. I had air cooled hoods that were leaking air when my cooling fan was on. This was pulling co2 from the room. I replaced the a/c hoods with cool tubes and fixed the problem.

My room is a CGE (closed growing environment), and I've spent this past 2 months grow getting it dialed in. Hopefully it will run itself from here on out.

I'll talk to you soon........
    chunk

20. I know i was looking at ur journal and they are amazing...one day i hope to have a set up that runs itself haha i woke up this morning to find the ducting into the light blew out the grow box completely so my light wasnt getting no cooling for i dont know how long but got that fixed thankfully...

cloning and crossing my own strains is something i wanna try out too eventually im reading as much as i can a day and gaining alot of knowledge so i THINK i should be good with this grow just 2 things worry me right now....

1. Pest or spidermites to be exact

2. My luscious purple is farther along in life (it seems) than the other 3 and i dont wanna cut the 3 short by flowering early just for the LP.