Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can I tell my doctor I smoke?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by CuriousToker28, Dec 10, 2009.

1. #41 iLoveWaterBongs, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2009
    I wouldn't admit that I was smoking weed. Not because of any legal/parental troubles or whatever, but because of anytime you try to go and get some kind of potentially abusable prescription drug (after telling the doctor you smoke weed often, which is technically considered abusing drugs/prescription drugs depending on where you live), the doctor may have reason to believe you show "drug-seeking behavior", which WILL go down on your permanent medical record. This means at any time in the future, ALL doctors who have access to your records will be VERY hesitant to give you any kind of easily abusable medication, because of your "drug-seeking behavior".

Bronchitis is commonly treated with hydrocodone syrup or codeine syrup, so that would only give your doctor more of a reason to believe you are showing this behavior. Don't take the chance of getting this on your record, and instead just come up with a different excuse for your bronchitis. Whether you tell 'em you got it from smoking or not, it's still going to be treated with the same prescription. If you simply MUST tell him you got it from inhaling smoke, blame tobacco, not weed - he's not going to put anything on your record for that. Don't say you smoke tobacco often though, or he may not be able to give you the best medical help you can get. Just say you like a cigarette every once in a while or a cigar or whatever.

2. Don't tell them. They will automatically assume, if you ever have a problem with pain, that you are drug seeking.

Apparently smoking marijuana makes you an addict.

3. Doctor-Patient confidentiality.

Unless your or someone else's life is at immediate risk, they can't disclose any information you tell them.

4. #44 iLoveWaterBongs, Dec 11, 2009
    Read my post, buddy. You CAN be written down for drug-seeking behavior, even with doctor-patient confidentiality. If they know you abuse another drug, and then you come in with bronchitis or whatever (which is treated with an easily abusable prescription drug), then it will make them very suspicious and they may consider you to be at risk of hurting yourself -- which is why you would possibly be written down for drug seeking behavior.

I know what I'm talking about. I'm just trying to help you out here. Don't take chances when it comes to important things like this. If you ever had a SERIOUS medical condition, like real chronic pains when you're older, they would be reluctant to give you stronger drugs and stick you instead with some shitty tramadol or vicodin. Then you will be stuck suffering because you made this mistake when you were younger.

5. I did, but honestly, if your doc writes you down for that just because you mentioned you smoke, I think its time you look for a more 420-friendly doctor.

My doc knows I smoke, and I've been prescribed both opiates and benzos since. You just gotta let them know that it's not a big part of your life, unless it is, which, in that case, maybe you shouldn't be given highly-addictive drugs. :p

Just my 2 cents, and change.

6. #46 iLoveWaterBongs, Dec 11, 2009
    I just updated both my earlier posts, so maybe I made a couple more points in there that you haven't seen yet. I live in Texas and to my knowledge there's no 420 friendly doctors at all here, other then in Austin probably. Well, I'm sure there are some, but we're overall a shitty, conservative, waste of a state -- so I'm not taking chances. I'm just pointing out that you never know if your doctor minds marijuana or not, so it's best to not take chances when it could have a HUGE effect on your medical records for the rest of your life.

7. I believe Norml has a list of doctors who support MJ, although that may only be for states/areas with an MMJ program.

8. I believe they do as well. TX doesn't support MMJ though. so I'm still kinda screwed. If the OP is currently in a non-MMJ state, I even more strongly stress that you not tell your doc.

9. you guys are paranoid.

10. Better safe than sorry. :rolleyes:

11. I'm telling you. If you tell the doctor you smoke pot, most who don't realize marijuana can be used for medicinal purposes, they will make a note of it on your file, which will follow you. I've had some serious trouble getting painkillers for my side simply because my sister told my family doctor I smoked pot. I don't think it's a good idea for you to disclose that information.

They cannot release that information to your family or insurance company, unless you've signed a release form. Some insurance companies require you to do this in order for them to cover you. Ask your doctor who has access to your information, but I'm still saying. It could bite you in the ass down the road.

12. I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for backing me up, Girly.

13. dont tell ur doctor u smoke weed, thye could tell ur parents, police, ur insureance who knows insurance will prolly go up for ur whole family because theyr around a smoker or somthing just tell them you smoke cigs and u ask if you got bronchitis

14. The point of it was to prove that you will be denied coverage because of marijuana. That being said, this isn't the only story of it's kind, just the most recent. There have been people who are medical marijuana patients that have been denied health insurance coverage as well, and they are legal (according to the state, anyway).

Some people feel that way, it's all up to personal choice. Personal, I had bronchitis a couple of years ago and I'm certain my smoking was a factor. The thing is, it doesn't matter what caused it, I had it and I needed to get better. Telling the doctor I smoke weed really wasn't going to help me get better. I really don't see the benefit in telling a doctor (who most likely has a biased, unrealistic view of cannabis anyway).
    Personally, not telling the doctor trumps telling him with the possibility of losing my coverage.

Telling a doctor you smoke weed isn't worth the potential thousands of dollars it could cost you if your health insurance decides not to cover your medical expenses.

15. #55 Cpt Cannabis, Dec 11, 2009
    Same. I told her when i was 15 and nothing happened im still fine today :cool:

EDIT:

@CurtChronic: Your doctor really shouldn't have a real biased view on pot. Mine just told me that even though people say its ok it still does cause lung damage. That was that and it was done. BTW im in Upstate NY if that matters.

16. My friends Aunt (who blazes with us whenever she is in town) straight up tells the doctor "Hell ya I smoke dope all the time!" if they ever asks if she self medicates or if she smokes. Doctor's have never said a thing about it. This is also in Texas.

Back to the OP...
    I do believe that Doctor-Patient confidentiality does come in to play here, just make sure there is nothing in the health insurance that allows them to deny coverage for marijuana use.

17. sooooo ... theres no patient-doctor confidentiality with this doctor lol

18. Well, it wasn't the patient who told the doctor. It was her relative. Doctor-patient confidentiality doesn't really affect the possible outcome of telling your doctor you smoke marijuana anyway. If your doctor is even the least bit anti-marijuana there is a strong chance he will write you down for drug-seeking behavior. He isn't telling anybody what you told him, just writing that you show drug-seeking behavior. Which he CAN legally do. Just don't take the chance and there's nothing to lose.

19. ... dude, i was only joking

20. Okay? I was trying to tell the OP to not listen to things people are saying in here about doctor-patient confidentiality because it isn't that relevant to this.. the doctor will right you down for drug-seeking behavior if he suspects you are, no matter what.