My Coffee Can Carbon Filter

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by BalladBlack, Dec 5, 2009.

1. How do you keep the mesh pen cup from falling out? Also, does the fan pull into this or blow through it?

2. I just force fit the mesh cup into the can, and it blows out through the carbon.

3. Cool Filter I love the Grab whats around attitude... I had an idea for something of similar style for a 6" I will have to give it a try now.

4. hey man where can i buy the carbon from ?

5. Online (ebay, amazon work), Petco, Aquarium Store, Koi Pond type places.

6. I got mine at Wal-Mart, it's everywhere really.

7. Sweet tutorial, I will have to try this since I am economically challenged at the moment (I'm sure I'm not the only one). Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

8. so hows the filter holding up guys? I plan on using this on a 2.5' x 2.5' x 6' cab that has a 150 hps light and about 3-4 small plants. Will this filter work out for me? thanks

9. do you think i could do this with something smaller than a coffee can?
    such as a plastic cup [[ not a party cup ]]. a drinking cup you would have in your cabinet? lol:confused:

10. Oh yea, just follow the same idea using different materials, be creative and have fun with it.

11. Just so everyone knows, fans are up to 4 times more efficient at pulling air through a scrubber than they are at pushing it. Otherwise should work great!

12. ok so this might be a stupid noob question but uh if you flip the pen cup upside down while inside the coffee can, wont all the carbon fall out from the pen cup? lol

13. check out this store for new activated carbon. Cheaper than amazon and e-bay. free s&h too.
    link: My Products

14. Is the stinky air being pulled thru the filter come thru the slits in the can or the hole in the end?

Can someone draw or explain how the best way to connect this would be?
    (ie- light-- dryer vent-- handy dandy homemade scrubber filter-- fan --)

Thanks ya'll!

15. that's rad. can you post a picture of how you have it rigged with an exhaust fan to it please?

16. OMG THIS IS SO FREAKING AWESOME
    Just made mine and it works like champ
    Thank you so much man

17. this just gave me an idea time to go get it started. and would i need one for my veg room too or just my flowering or both?

18. First time doing this, can someone post a pic of theirs actually connected to.a fan please

Sent from my LG-P769 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. so how did the filter work out for ppls? anyone worked out which way it was meant to be conected etc?

20. Excellent idea! I plan on making mine as soon as the fan arrives, just wanted to add not sure if anyone else has covered this, but "Pushing" air through instead of "Pulling" is better because it creates a vacuum affect that increases the air flow. Also, depending on the size of your grow opt an intake fan could also be restricting your air flow, it would be better to have a "hole" and have a fan a little ways away from the hole passively pulling air in. If you force air in or "Pull" you're putting more strain on the intake fan which causes excuse heat and thus kinda defeats the whole purpose of the fans. But if you instead invest in a more powerful exhaust fan to do the work of both you save money on electric bill, increase air flow, and decrease unneeded heat from multiple fans. Now you will need passive fans to blow the leaves around but those don't put out as much heat as say intake or exhaust fans. Sorry for the little rant, other than that this post is on point! Thanks for the great idea!