Eagle Talon TSi & Mazda Rx7

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by epiq, Nov 30, 2009.

1. #21 SkunkWoodz, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014

it's my superior intelligence of both the internets and engines.

and cuz it's a badass swap. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lbSFC2mjRU

Also, if you don't want answers, don't post a question, dick.

3. relax brocicle. all insight is welcome. also wikipedia.

condescension isn't becoming.

i admit, i'm ignorant to a lot of japanese engines, but i've probably forgotten more about bmw's and porches than you've ever known. just stating it for the record. i'm an enthusiast, and i tried to start a discussion about japanese engines in order to gain knowledge. your post, a simple engine code and "duh" was the exact opposite of what i was looking for. you do nothing to tell me why to use that engine, and insinuate that i'm stupid for asking such a question. but feel free to chime back in if you want to say something useful, maybe pass on some of the great store of automotive knowledge you claim to have.

5. Chill with the bullshit.

6. F20C, SR20, 3sgte.

Then the real good ones: 4g63 and 4b11

7. Ahh I forgot about the 4g63 ^ that's a good idea

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..💨⛽️

8. #28 SkunkWoodz, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
    My apologies to the city, I didn't know calling someone a dick was such a heinous offense.

Nothing wrong with a "go to" solution, never.  Tried and true never lets you down my friends.  Instead of him asking "why the sr20?" he chose to go pardon the term this time,  a dick, by posting something he knew would be offensive to me.

Maybe we can all stop attacking me now. yes?

And turin, bub, don't flatter yourself with your arrogant remarks about forgetting so much information, no one likes a braggart.  My specialty is rotary engines, don't care too much for cars that have headgaskets.

By the way turin, never insinuated you were stupid, how did you gather that? 

Not to mention you were the one trying to hi-jack this thread.  Perhaps if you had made your own thread about what YOU wanted to know, maybe you could have gotten a better answer from me.  I apologize for putting duh at the end of my short and sweet answer, but that is just my personality coming out in text.  If you can't handle the word duh, maybe you shouldn't participate in online forums.

i was just returning your arrogance in turn. and how is it hijacking a thread when two thirds of the posts on the first page are discussing various japanese engine swaps and getting the most bang for your buck? as to your "personality in text", its shit. and don't forget, nobody likes a braggart:

10. #30 DBV, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
    Turin,

If you're on a budget, you should look into an rb25det NEO motor. Easy to output decent HP and can be had for great price. Not sure what would be involved with e30 swap though.

You could always go for baby 2jz and go 1jz. Still a great motor with high output and also decent pricing. Personally I went with a newer vvti model though because the older gen 1jz's are looking very old and tired these days.

IMO, there are great 4 cylinders out there, but if you're going to get fully committed to an engage swap, why settle for less ya know? Unless figment is an issue.. If that's the case, and you're looking at JDM motors, you could look into the vq35

fitment isn't an issue, the engine bay was designed to accommodate a straight six. i just like the balance of an e30 with a four cylinder. i've even been considering a diesel mercedes swap but that just might be going to far. really i'm just pooling information to take to craigslist, to weigh all my options as far as difficulty and price are concerned. i'm going to be installing convertible springs in my 318i next week to gain a couple inches of ground clearance. idea is to build a fun car that can be driven on some of the rougher back roads here in maine. i thought that perhaps the larger import scene might mean prices could be lower than the needle in a haystack parts lists i've come up with and tried stockpiling.

given up on m50 swap because i can't get a few necessary things locally. and by locally, i mean in my state.

12. Ahhh ok, gotcha. Yes, weight balance is always a good factor to consider as well. Honestly, I've pretty much steered away from 4 cylinders so I can't be much help in that department.. Only ones I know of worth considering is the sr20, 4age, 3sgte and the 4g63 (not sure about this one in rwd format though). I'm sure there's more out there.

As far as sourcing parts, all of the above shouldn't be too difficult considering how often people swap them, but most older jdm motors will require online ordering as even dealerships tend to not stock older parts but can usually get them.

13. 3sgte would be awesome for rally since it was made for rally in the homolagation st165 celica

http://youtu.be/Z62r-O7ha8k

14. the 3sgte sounds like a potent engine. how reliable? what am i looking for? a wrecked mr2 or celica?

15. Generally, the best route to take for a swap is a front clip. Basically they cut the car in half and ship it from Japan to USA. Japan motors will basically ALWAYS be cleaner than most US motors with that much age.

Now front clips are not usually cheap so you can always order just the motor and trans if you want to save a little, but the front clip is convenient because it has a LOT of little things you may or may not end up needing later down the line.

I'm not sure if they buy 3sgte's, but I'd personally recommend JEI in Virginia for any swaps you are considering. They gave me a great deal and even refunded me 300$ when I explained to them why I can't use the ecu that came with my motor. Not to mention the motor was practically in brand new shape which isn't always guaranteed in motor swap territory..

16. in my research i've found that i don't want to use an engine from an mr2 because the oil sump is different and in a front engined car could result in starvation. debating whether this is cost effective, comparing it to rebuilding my m10 for turbo. both are pretty close in price.

17. Yeah 3sgte in America is not the most practical of the turbo 4s lol but it has character to it lol...

what initially attracted my attention was the power output, almost exactly what i want in my e30. great for dirt roads...

19. Unfortunately I believe the 3sgte from the gt four celica is awd so you may have to work out a way to remove front transfer box if you go that route. Also not sure on its oil pan configuration.

Keep in mind that motor swaps will always be more expensive than initial expectations for one thing or another. It all depends on what you plan on doing as far as freshening it up, but as I've learned myself, things will come up and you'll end up buying parts you didn't expect to have too. Also the longer the swap takes, personally I look into options of what I can do and things really start adding up.. Lol. I started out just wanting 325 whp, but have now built my motor up to about 425-450whp range. It really is fun and worth it though to have a motor to build the way you want it while you can still dd your current motor.

Turbocharging your motor you have now is always a nice easy option, but also keep in mind that old tired motors are less likely to take boost without a full refresh and possibly lower compression pistons if needed.

Unfortunately playing the power game does cost money. You have to pay to play the game, but IMO it really is worth it as long as you aren't starving yourself to do it. Lol.