Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Why marijuana smokers cough up black phlegm and cigarette smokers do not:

Phoggy

Phoggy

• Registered Upgraded
  • 582 posts
I personally did not write this. I found it after googling black phlegm, regarding my recent quit from cigs. I found this and though it was interesting enough to shear. Enjoy!

The main thing going on here is the difference between bronchial dilators and constrictors. Tobacco is a bronchial constrictor whereas Cannabis is a bronchial dilator; this means smoking tobacco will tighten and close the pathways in your lungs where Cannabis will open them up. Nicotine constricts terminal bronchioles in lungs, which keeps tars trapped in the tissue. Its there these chemicals do their worst. THC and the chemicals associated with MJ are dilators. This allows the particulate matter (black mucus) etc., to be expelled, thereby eliminating their effects "on contact" with lung tissue. Anytime you smoke you’re going to have a presence of mucus.

For me MJ has a slight allergic reaction just like my everyday allergies. However it is this very bodily reaction that protects us from long term contacts with allergens, by allowing "matter" to be trapped and expelled. So, the "Black Phlegm" is a good thing.

post note:
(1) THC is a bronchial dilator, which means it works like a cough drop by opening up your lungs and therefore aiding in the clearance of smoke and dirt. Nicotine has the exact opposite effect. (5) Unlike the chemicals in marijuana, nicotine has a paralyzing effect on the tiny hairs along the body's air passages. These hairs normally work to keep foreign matter out of the lungs. This means that carcinogenic tar from cigarette smoke is relatively much harder to purge from your lungs than is that from marijuana.

[1] Heath, R.G., A.T. Fitzjarrell, C.J. Fontana, and R.E. Garey. "Cannabis sativa: Effects on brain function and ultrastructure in Rhesus monkeys," Biological Psychiatry. 15:657-690, 1980.
  • Storm Crow, Al Swearengen, Tastytrichomes and 5 others like this

acl3g3nd92

acl3g3nd92

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Sooo true- i remember hearin my professor talk about this in a psycholoy course dedicated to drugs and humans.

thc is a bronchial diolator and opens up your lungs/airways.

good shit- ive been hacking up the nastiest resin filled loogies and your post reminded me that its prolly from the mixture of tobacco and mj smoke

BlackFlaggin420

BlackFlaggin420

KillinTheDankGramByGram

• Bronze Member
  • 2,059 posts

Twistedd

Twistedd

The Lonely Lama

• Bronze Member
  • 9,410 posts

tokinITguy

tokinITguy

Is it 4:20 yet?

• Gold Member
  • 5,011 posts

BlackFlaggin420

BlackFlaggin420

KillinTheDankGramByGram

• Bronze Member
  • 2,059 posts

tokinITguy

tokinITguy

Is it 4:20 yet?

• Gold Member
  • 5,011 posts

Emblazened

Emblazened

Back to chill

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,068 posts
This is kind of a relief. I've never habitually smoked tobacco but I always cough shit up from baking all the time. It's gotten worse since I started a nightly blunt regimen as well

Solo dolo bdub

Solo dolo bdub

Badfish

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,034 posts
I've smoke for 4 years everyday multiple times for the last 2 I never coughed up black shit untill I started smoking cigarettes. I've quit them now and I rarely cough up anything.

nickkres707

nickkres707

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,736 posts
i cough up some nasty shit but its not black, normally like green

MasterOG

MasterOG

It's a wrap!

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,158 posts
Smoke your resin filled mucus! :smoke:

Addicted313

Addicted313

D.R.U.G.S.

• Registered Upgraded
  • 295 posts
Stop smoking blunts and start smoking papers my man. You wont be coughing up black shit...problem solved.

Catnip83

Catnip83

Stoned is my normal

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
Good timing on posting this info, I needed this little reminder! Since I have asthma and all I was beginning to get a little worried when I began coughing up more phlegm lately...was starting to wonder if I should take a t break for a different reason. :smoke:

MasterOG

MasterOG

It's a wrap!

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,158 posts

Good timing on posting this info, I needed this little reminder! Since I have asthma and all I was beginning to get a little worried when I began coughing up more phlegm lately...was starting to wonder if I should take a t break for a different reason. :smoke:

Ive heard that cannabis actually helps people with asthma, but regardless if i were you id buy a vape (if you have enough money), or theres always other ways to ingest weed other than smoking.

But if smoking is your thing then yea you should prolly take a week break in between smoke sessions.

Hope that helps :smoke:

DojaMonkey

DojaMonkey

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
Every big bong hit i cough up black in my spit lol. I dont smoke any other way and i smoke... alot... lots of black shit comes up! ive always thought this was a great thing, if it stayed in... thats nastay.... thanks for the info

good vibes!

Edited by DojaMonkey, 16 November 2010 - 08:41 PM.

imadamnlegend

imadamnlegend

My username is an anagram

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,015 posts
Also explains why marijuana helps me excercise so much better! Opens up airways and bronchioles thus increasing surface area, oxygen intake and therefore increases rate of diffusion. Essentially meaning i can run harder and longer. Get caffine in there too and you're on fire.

Canada x 420

Canada x 420

High

• Registered Upgraded
  • 6,209 posts
Never happened to me before. My usage has ranged from daily for several months to once of twice a week for a couple months, and i have never experienced anything like that.

I have never regularly smoked tobacco so thats probably why...

Phoggy

Phoggy

• Registered Upgraded
  • 582 posts
Hi! Glad everyone enjoys the information, and thanks for bringing this post back to life!:D

IamBored

IamBored

• Registered Upgraded
  • 574 posts
[1] Heath, R.G., A.T. Fitzjarrell, C.J. Fontana, and R.E. Garey. "Cannabis sativa: Effects on brain function and ultrastructure in Rhesus monkeys," Biological Psychiatry. 15:657-690, 1980

It was tested on monkies, not humans tho....

bongbro

bongbro

MetalHead

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
actually this makes alot of sense for me, since ive been smoking on the reg i noticed i always have a bit of phlem worked up. not enough to consider myself sick but still there.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)