HID to Normal light fixture

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by StraightFire, Nov 23, 2004.

1. <HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>

I got a light from my friend (he dont know wat kind it is) it probley is a HID casue it looks like it or it could be a HPS i dunno but Can i put a HID or a HPS light bulb to a normal light fixture and into a normal socket

2. also i tryed to use a normal light fixture (lamp) and it fit but the bulb won't turn on

3. STOP what youre doing before you cause a fire or electrical problem

HID lights require a separate ballast to run them
    Most have I believe a larger mogul styled screw in base for a mogul socket

What does this bulb look like ??

4. Let's just start here with a little bit of education since the creator of this post can't seem to do any research to achieve his goal.

H.I.D. - High Intensity Discharge lighting is very different than a normal incadescent bulb or a flourescent tube. HID uses a gas pressurized bulb with 2 electrodes inserted. These types of bulbs operate on the principal of excited gasses. The ballast serves a couple of different purposes. The first is to adapt the low input voltage to a number in the 48K volt range. This is the energy used to maintain the excited state inside of the bulb. The ballast also contains a set of capacitor inside that charge when power is given to the unit. These capacitors will fill with a huge amount of energy, then in a instant, they release the energy through the 2 electrodes in the bulb causing a visible spark, which in turn creates the burst of energy needed to start the reaction inside the bulb.

Plugging an HID light into a normal socket will get you nothing. If you are stumped as to why it doesn't turn on when you hit the switch, then you need to do A LOT more reading on the subject before you electrocute yourself.