Welcome to Grasscity Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

HID to Normal light fixture

• Please log in to reply

StraightFire

StraightFire

• Registered Upgraded
  • 111 posts
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

I got a light from my friend (he dont know wat kind it is) it probley is a HID casue it looks like it or it could be a HPS i dunno but Can i put a HID or a HPS light bulb to a normal light fixture and into a normal socket

StraightFire

StraightFire

• Registered Upgraded
  • 111 posts
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

also i tryed to use a normal light fixture (lamp) and it fit but the bulb won't turn on
<!-- / message -->

Profound

Profound

• Users Awaiting Validation
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
STOP what youre doing before you cause a fire or electrical problem

HID lights require a separate ballast to run them
Most have I believe a larger mogul styled screw in base for a mogul socket

What does this bulb look like ??

The Pink Taco

The Pink Taco

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Let's just start here with a little bit of education since the creator of this post can't seem to do any research to achieve his goal.

H.I.D. - High Intensity Discharge lighting is very different than a normal incadescent bulb or a flourescent tube. HID uses a gas pressurized bulb with 2 electrodes inserted. These types of bulbs operate on the principal of excited gasses. The ballast serves a couple of different purposes. The first is to adapt the low input voltage to a number in the 48K volt range. This is the energy used to maintain the excited state inside of the bulb. The ballast also contains a set of capacitor inside that charge when power is given to the unit. These capacitors will fill with a huge amount of energy, then in a instant, they release the energy through the 2 electrodes in the bulb causing a visible spark, which in turn creates the burst of energy needed to start the reaction inside the bulb.

Plugging an HID light into a normal socket will get you nothing. If you are stumped as to why it doesn't turn on when you hit the switch, then you need to do A LOT more reading on the subject before you electrocute yourself.
  • sidious likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users