Busted by Mom

Discussion in 'General' started by CalamitousDoom, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Hey guys, so last night I hot boxed my car (big mistake) and an hour later my mom called asking for me to give her a ride. I drove for 20 minutes with the windows down trying to air it out, but it was useless. My mom sat in the car and instantly knew, but she didn't directly yell at me she said some remarks insinuating that I was high (like hmmm, you seem a little disoriented).Now things are a little awkward since before I was looked at as the "good kid". How do I handle this? Should I tell her I'll quit? And what's the fastest way to get the smell out of my car (it's leather and I didn't think it'd stay /fail). Thanks in advance.

2. It shouldn't hang in there for more than a few days.. just get an air freshener. IMO I'd tell her you were giving some of your "friends' friends" a ride and they lit up without your permission.

3. keep the windows down to let it air out and spray some frebreze in it or something

also, don't tell her that you will quit unless you actually intend to. You can either be a pot smoker or a pot smoker who lies about his smoking

4. Or you can be accountable for your actions and tell her what you truly think is right instead of lying to the same people who you owe your existence to.

5. You should have hit the freeway. One of my cars is 90% plastic and leather and clears out in minutes.

6. Yeah if it's as important to you as I imagine, I'd say tell her it was some friends of friends like the above poster said. If she doesn't believe you or something, gather your confidence and tell her you'll take a drug test? It's a risky move but it throws off a lot of parents, or it did in my days of hiding. If you do that though and she holds you to it... Well, cranberry juice. Lots. Hahah.

7. better than bustin on mom

8. Sometimes you have to be untruthful to make those people happy mate. Not all parents are the same. I know people who have been kicked out of their houses for weeks to months over smoking weed. My mom had caught me in the past and she was understanding, even when I admitted to her only recently about the times I had lied to her about it. Wherein she told me she understood I was trying to keep her happy while doing what made me happy. I could get into it for hours but my point is just that sometimes you have to do unsavory things to keep "the same people who you owe your existence to" content. It's not like the fables, the truth doesn't always set you free.

9. #9 Skyler Vant, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2009
    I think I'll still go with truth instead of selfishly lying so I can stay in the clear. Sugar coat with all the "right" intentions that you like, you are still selfishly lying to cover your own, or to give others a false impression. I don't care if you can settle for that, it's something I won't.

EDIT: I actually laughed really hard when you said the truth doesn't always set you free. I can only wonder in what context you meant that in. I sure don't see how lying to parents in order to perpetuate a false impression of yourself is freedom, you can't even be "you" around certain people. I don't mean to rail you, you prioritize things differently, and for the most part that's fine. I've just taken the stance that I think is closer to absolute freedom, and that's allowing myself to be me to the fullest extent, I don't want to lie about who I am, (and by extension, the actions I make) I just live it.

10. Just tell her. If you want to live the lifestyle she has to know.

Otherwise prepare to be smoking behind her back all the time, having to go outside, blow the smoke out the window, turn the shower on so there's no smell etc.

Seriously unless you think she'll disown you or something servere then you may as well tell her.

11. How can you call me selfish for having more than my own emotions in mind? I've never hid anything from her, but I've always told her what I know she wants to hear. Call me selfish if you will but I'm gonna chalk it up to you thinking in no way as I do. I've got a strong relationship with my mom and I'll take that over the truth any day. My mom's been aware that I smoke weed for a long time. When I say lie, I mean, I know she'd prefer the idea of me spending $40 on food and a movie for a girl than a fat bag of ganja. This is where I'm coming from with this. I've never flat out told my mom I didn't smoke weed.

12. I think it's only selfishly lying if you have selfish intentions. I personally don't think smoking weed is wrong, therefore I think that lying about smoking weed isn't wrong... That's like saying using detox systems to pass a piss test is wrong because you're technically lying to your employer. But hey some people think lying is wrong no matter what the circumstance, and in most cases I agree... but there are times when its appropriate. Just because you have a different moral compass doesn't mean you should talk down to others, your parents were obviously a lot more accepting than some. But I see where you're coming from, peace and love my brotha :smoking:

13. Ahahahaha, thank you for making my day man.

Edit: I'll try and remember to plus rep you again, I have to spread it around again evidently haha.

14. when i was younger i use to crack the window and put cologne on the vents and cranke the heat allways worked for me

15. Because smoking isn't wrong, so lying about it isn't wrong as well? The way I see it, if I think smoking isn't wrong, speaking my mind about it wouldn't be wrong. Not the other way around. I'm just trying to get a grasp around that logic. But I understand the possible consequences of doing so. I'm not trying to talk down to others, I'm saying I disagree with how they choose to handle it, we prioritize our principles differently.

16. I'm saying you are lying selfishly, because you are qualifying your lie to maintain your relationship with your mother. Don't be offended, we all act selfishly most of the time, it's in our nature. I'm just saying that your lying does have a selfish intent, whether you consider that intention righteous or not.

17. I hate to impose on your 'Society is a bunch of selfish liars' philosophy but our society is built on lies, as most are. In complete truth comes more knowledge than most people can handle. If everyone told the truth all the time, we would all hate eachother and nobody would be able to hold shit in order. I may be as selfish a human being as any other, that I won't deny, but to say I'm selfish for maintaining a good relationship through lies is something I won't accept unless you can give me a better explanation than that. I never once said my lies were just, merely that without them the relationship in question would very easily be nowhere near what it is. I doubt you live your life with nothing but honor and truthfulness and much less avoid lying 100% of the time regardless of what may come of it. Everyone lies, most people for self gain alone, I lied to my mom to make her happy, not myself. You talk as if I said I take joy in it. Which I did not say, and do not feel.

Aside from all that, if a lie encompasses two main characters, and the one being lied to (Person A) accepts, in good concience the reason for Person B's lie, as well as benefits no more or less than B, where does the selfishness come in? Person A gets to believe that Person B has done a positive thing in their eyes, while Person B gets to do what makes them happy. It's what's called a Win-Win situation.

At what point does the liar gain something more than the lied to in such a case?
    If you can give me that in an intellectual and factual form I'll accept that I'm just a selfish bastard. Until then I'll continue to do what makes both parties happy, as opposed to one or the other. Thanks.

18. Thanks for the suggestions. considering how my mom is I will take a hiatus from smoking. I'll volunteer to take drug tests periodically and wait to until I move out in six months to smoke again, besides college is a way better environment for this. I can't tell her I'll continue to smoke cuz my bro did that and he is pretty much cut off.

19. Probably for the best man, Its not good to let a plant possibly ruin your life.

Very well put, and here I was thinkin you were just some dumb noob. :D

20. that's a good idea. you shouldn't lie to your mom when she provides you with so much. imagine if you told her you quit and she blatantly caught you again. you'd be fucked. i wouldn't offer to take drug tests though. even if you are quitting, it would suck if you volunteered for it and it got you caught up later.