Should I join an Apprenticeship?

Discussion in 'General' started by iNate, Nov 18, 2009.

1. I'm 18 with a GED diploma and no job experience. I'm really unsure about what I wanna get into career wise but I've recently been looking into joining an Apprenticeship program in Tile setting. I figure since I was looking to get into a contruction-ish career field why not get trained and paid at the same time and have a job I know you can make a career out of?

Has anyone in the city ever been a part of or known anybody that has become an apprentice for anything? I really wanna know like first hand experience and what its like to have to be an apprentice for about 3-4 (amount of time your an apprentice usually). You guys might say that the only way to know is to go do it, but I want to know if joining one would be a good choice and get some feedback of like the outcomes it has.

Random questions...Can I keep smokin bud? Does the apprenticeship take up the majority of your time? Will I get any days off or time to kick it?

Most wont read through or reply to this, but thanks to my blades that do and are helpful.

2. Well I'm sorry that I can't help with the majority of the questions, but I do know that you will be able to smoke still. As long as you won't be getting tested, there is always time for a quick smoke.

3. im pretty sure theres an initial drug test but im not sure how often or if they even drug test any more once your started. That was another question

4. I think you should do it. I live in WA (not far from you) and jobs are very very hard to find in the area. I'd charge at this opportunity. :smoking:

As for smoking. You're in WA bro :) Everyone who does physical labor in WA smokes weed or knows someone on job site who does.

Known fact ^ ;)

5. I am an apprentice at a local violin shop. Every week, Saturdays 12-4pm and hold a part time job. Don't get tested at either, and still manage to find the time, between 2 jobs and school, to toke up every day :)

6. #6 KundaliniRising, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
    If you want to do some kind of construction for a career an apprenticeship is a great way to get started, since you get paid while your trained, haha it's like the complete opposite of college.

Definitely go for it, an apprenticeship is a better choice than going to a vocational school imo.

edit: and for your other questions, you essentially work a regular work week, 40 hours or whatever, so you'll have just as much time as when you actually have the job title at the job.

and it depends on the company whether you gotta stop smokin bud or not, but most companies today drug test for insurance reasons, insurance companies don't want drugged up people working since they're at higher risk of getting hurt on the job ya know? It's bullshit but thats how it works, at my last job they had mouth swab tests, and the boss would tell you ya got a test in 3 days so behave yourself lol, he was a real fuckin dick, but a pothead too.

7. yeah man, I'm looking to do something like that with welding. Goodluck.. I seem to do better hands on then reading shit out of a book

8. depends on whether or not you like to lay tile lol.

on a personal side i dont think id want to do it, its the most horrible job for your lungs, on top of that you will be dealing with lots of espestice (sp?)

but on the other side you will be making bank for a kid.

id say dont make a career out of it but use it to put yourself through school. thats sort of what im doing with landscaping right now. GREAT MONEY FOR COLLEGE, and a great job until i want to start a career.

now if you like laying tile, take it up, you can even learn how to start your own company

a job is something you do to make money, a career is something you love to do.

9. asbestos* which they dont use anymore.. my uncle passed away from that and bronchitis a few years back, he painted submarines and tanks for 30+ years

10. damn sorry for the loss.

and yeah your gonna have to deal with asbestos when removing old tiles o_O scary stuff

11. I was an electrical apprentice in college
    and later became a licensed electrician when i took a year off

there's certainly nothing wrong with it

in my opinion it beats sitting at a desk. the money is good when the work is there.

my only caution is in reguard to the physical nature of the trades

they wear you down

you've got to be prepared for the impact a physical job will have on your life.

i know a couple career electricians who are litterally crippled from working

we're talking about fiftyish guys who walk like 90 year olds.

dont ever kneel on hard surfaces
    if it hurts, figure out another way to do it
    protect yourself for the day
    the week
    and for the long run

make sure none of your physical work isnt something you think you can't sustain (that means its wearing you down)

setting tile is going to include plenty of time bent over
    and kneeling

something to think about when you make your decision

12. I'm in the same boat as you except I'm 20. If I can't get into the Air Force my back up plan is to join the job corps to be an electrician.

13. I advise committing a crime and going to jail.

Free room, board and health care... and you get to chill with the guys without any women nagging at you.

/thread

14. ^^^Lol have fun, I gots my life to figure out. Thanks for the help people

15. oh and if you're 18
    do yourself a favor and dont "figure out" your life quite yet

you might miss some things

you're better off doing that shit as you go

if you take good care of yourself you've got a boatload of years ahead of you

16. Well i kinda meant "figure out" in the sense of weather i wanna go to school (if we have the money soon) or keep searching for a first job, oor do the apprenticeship. Nomatter how you wanna look at it, i think 18 is a pivitol and important part of your life to get yourself ready you dig?