Rehab brainwashed my girl!

Discussion in 'General' started by Chunckle McDunk, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Alright, so recently (about 2 months ago) my girlfriend got sent away to rehab for pill addiction and so called marijuana addiction.

So yeah, I had no problem with this, because when I found out how many pills she was doing every night, I thought that it should have been good for her. And thinking about it, I have extremely mixed feelings about the whole thing.
    First off, I'm ecstatic that she's gotten better, because before she left, she was also going through some post traumatic stress disorder from some things in the past, but her going there has really helped her come to terms with what caused it. And not to mention that she's happier than ever.

Except one thing.

Whenever drugs are around or present, she absolutely has to leave the room. Today she was thinking about going and driving home because my roommate lit up a blunt outside the house, and apparently just knowing that there's weed around is too much.
    She calls it a slap in the face.
    But none of this is my fault that she has to take weekly drug tests, so why should I have to go without for it.
    To be honest, I think they've brainwashed her.
    Whenever we talk about it, she goes, "well to be honest, I was an addict, and I really have no control over myself with drugs. I don't have the ability to"

But what I've always held to be pretty damn self evident was that the power to moderate comes from within you, especially with psychologically addictive substances like marijuana. With a little self discipline and mindfulness, moderation is not hard at all.

I just feel like thay've crammed some closed minded ideals into her head.

And the AA meetings that she's required to go to now, are all full of that "you can't do it on your own" bullshit.

Its almost as if the drugs are controlling her just as much now as they were 2 or 3 months ago...

What do you guys think?

2. Help her remember that she does have control if she tries. Itmay be hard but self cOntrol is very important in life

3. She probably doesn't want to be around people who are smoking knowing that she can't smoke too.

No one wants to be the only one not smoking.

4. Word to that.

But if shes happier now then good for her, and she should continue in her recent ways. Although if shes less happier than when she was addicted to pills and such then wtf was the point of rehab.

5. dude she probably misses and is trying hard to not do it again, and just being around it completley fucks with her urges.

be respectful and dont do/speak/ do anything with drugs around her. if shes on rehab, then you have to be sensitive to that and acustom yourself to that while you're around her.

simple, no drugs at all around her. when you go home, drown yourself if you want, is it that hard?

6. I'm a little tired from work and may not be reading this right, but is she just against weed now because of rehab or just doesn't like being around it because she can't smoke? I remember one of my friends got busted one time, think she had an ounce or something, and wound up not being able to smoke for three months by the time all was said and done (Badass lawyer). Our little smoking circle stopped smoking until she could smoke with us again.

7. If she doesn't want to be around drugs respect that. My ex was a pill addict and she went to rehab and it did nothing. So consider yourself lucky your girl got better.

8. Rehab really changes people sometimes. One of my old buddies went a few times, but the last time got him somehow. He came back telling everyone to quit doing drugs because they were bad for you and shit. It was totally the opposite of his old personality.

9. yea bro, your girls smart to quit pills and shit. i went to rehab for that same shit a little while ago, and i guess if you think about it, and the ability to do drugs and not relapse comes from within and selfminded thinking. then you realize in rehab they do teach you that you have no willpower and your not strong enough. from someone who isnt an addict this seems liek brainwash. but what you have to realize is that if your girl was an addict and it got to the point were she was sent to an instuituon then she has a porblem. th eonly way to "recover" from the disease of addiction is to stay totally around it. If you cant respect that you should end the relationship. im not a faggot i understand that you need to stay up. but if your girl smokes a blunt of someshit then fails her tests and/or goes back to pills, the post trematic stress could be worse. im not tryen to give u any adivce if you dont want it. im just saying form an addicts point of view, she's doing what she needs to do to stay clean. you should help heer out, toke up b4 she comes and after she goes. you dont HAVE to smoke in front of her. and if mariujana addiction is a joke( "..and so called marijuana addiction."...just like you think) Then you shoulddnt have to smoke in front of her. all im sayin is that if you cant understadn the way addiction works go to a meeting with her, there all the time youll understand were she is comming form. its not brainwash, its one of the only ways to deal with the disease.

And id reccoment NA meetings. the N.A meetings are generally older folks and all that, check out the Narcotic Anonmys meetings. there better, i myself have stopped going, but they were helpful when i was clean. So Goodluck with all that bro.

10. Good post

11. Damn, something similar happened to a friend of mine, except he was really hostile about people using drugs and is now in the psyche ward of the hospital because he went completely apeshit simply over the fact that there are people out there somewhere smoking weed, and he can't do anything to stop it. I don't think he's ever going to be able to live without constant supervision, lots of medication and weekly if not DAILY therapy sessions; seriously, the guy went absolutely fucking crazy.

12. Well, you see I've tried and tried, as hard as I can without pushing it on her, that self control comes from witin you, but I have litterally stated
    "so what you're saying is that your self control is an outer entity and you yourself have no control over it?"
    She said yes...

This is getting rediculous, she's starting to cut from our time togeter to go to 2 AA meetings a day. They've really got her thinking that she is litterally a hopeless addict.
    We had this huge talk one night, and she is really back to "weed is a gateway drug"
    She basically said "if I smoke again, It will just end up being pills, then alcohol, etc..."

How could such a free minded person think like this?

I mean, she's loosened up a lot, she doesn't get mad at me anymore, but just....ugh!
    Everything. AA is starting to envelop her life, 2 meetings a day, sometimes a 3rd one, and on top of that, she meets with her sponsor.

Man, y'know, when she first got out, she had the mindset of "Ugh, I have to do all this shit."
    Now its "I want to"

13. obviously her sobriety is more important than you and I can't blame her by the way your talking. its funny most of the time the addicts are the ones in denial but you sir are the one in denial. 1st step buddy

14. dont smoke around her any more, or just dont be her friend anymore. dont know what ur other options are, you aent going to change her

15. what if she's cheating on you with her sponsor...

16. I would advise OP to be less self-centered and more supportive of her.

Being clean is clearly important to her. You should help her with that and be supportive of her.

17. It's awesome she got clean, but i agree it seems like a cult.

18. i think that sounds like an addict.
    just be understanding... and you can be addicted to marijuana, you can be addicted to anything.
    if she is a mj addict then dont tempt her, just dont smoke around her like she asked.

19. OP you are sounding pretty selfish in my opinion. If she was a hardcore addict, it is completely understandable that she doesn't want to be around any drugs. While weed is not too addictive on its own, for an addict it can certainly be a trigger towards sliding back to her old ways. You should be focused on supporting her, which includes respecting her wish to not smoke when she's in the vicinity.

20. Some people have no control what so ever. I met a girl once who told me she used to give bjs for a dime bag of weed:eek:. I must have asked her 3 times "really for weed?". Me i can moderate and havent really done anything but weed my whole life. But some people just cant do it.

Weed is harmless enough but it must be hard for her to be around it knowing she CANT do it. Just be incognito about it and im sure it wont matter.