outside dwc hydro grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by 69erikm, Nov 15, 2009.

1. i want to see this been thinkin about it for years but i cant grow outside so its only a pipedream 4 me i grow dwc 5 gal indoors and know what im capable of if i could not worry about space and used the sun with 18gal buckets id imagine you'd need a chainsaw at harvest lol other then diggin a hole i dont see it being to much more work maybe even easier outside once shit is dialed in i see a 10+lb monster in the futre best of luck i really hope u do it
    peace stoney

2. :wave:
    hi tarrant28 thanks for sharing., Southern Cali back yard one bucket

hello pnut420 :wave:welcome. I was thinking of using this recyced plastic keg.. well after I drink the beer lol
    IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg

high stony? rofl j/k im not sure how many gallons 81 12 oz beers i think :confused:lol thanks stoney917.

If I use the keg as the bucket and the res, how much air ?:confused: whats that formula liters per gal.

thanks again guys

Attached Files:

3. just toying with the idea playing the what if game Patriofarmer, thanks for stopping by:hello:
    the keg is actually 15 gallons and I think the air rule is one watt per gallon:confused: so i would need about 12 watts for the keg
    and yes happy holidays

4. or was it one liter per gallon:confused::D:cool:

5. #25 ocitown, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2009
    Your idea is something most just dream about,ppl grow hydro and outdoors but both is rare.

IMO it will be VERY easy if the res setup is done right.

Using R/O water and Lucas is what i do with GREAT results indoors,can only imagine what you could do outdoors.:eek:

The solution temps WILL be your most important obsticle IMO.

Chiller would give consistent temps at a price,there are other ways to do the same thing here in SO.Cal. if you do some homework.

Any large body of water can be used as a natural chiller for a radiator core(bought or home made).

The earth is the BEST way if done right,a 55 gallon drum buried with another res inside using water to chill the real solution is one way.

Another is to use the buried drum and a long length of hose(inside the water in the drum) to hold the solution which would have allot of surface area to keep solutions cool.

A float for R/O to feed into the system with Lucas(use the Floranova if possible it's better)

All you will need to do is add some Floranova each day keeping the ppm where you want it.:D

The need to dump solution when chilled to 68F. is not required.

The volume needed for roots idk,my 5 gallon BB's after 4 months were about 70% full,not a bad idea to have them bigger.

This would need to be a RDWC system for sure with 12 BB's.

The float feed R/O and chilled solutions will help the need for a large res to a minimum but the need to keep up on nutes is a daily thing.;)

Very easily done.if you were my neighbor i would love to help with a system like that.:eek::D

6. 4 month solution and it was indoor using a 1K and a chiller.;)

Wish i had the sunshine.:D

HH

MC

HNY to everyone.:D

7. I only want to do one plant wth the bucket working as a res also

patriofarmer & ocitown you two have been great in participating thank you both:hello:

I want to build a platform/stage for the keg to stay out of the sun

8. like a working platform

9. Here in S. Cal in summer you will need to get that keg fully into the cool ground plus a foot IMO to keep solution temps low enough.

10. It really depends on what you are looking for. Outdoor has a lot of benefits over indoor, but an HID bulb at close range can actually provide more light than the sun. If you are after really dense buds, you will do better with HID lighting.

11. lol If you my friend are trying to tell me that a bulb is better than the sun.....what are you saying?:wave:

12. Mainly, I'm saying that the sun, while huge, is really far away, while the bulb can be kept much closer to the plants. Because of the fact that light energy falls off tremendously as range from the light source increases, the smaller, closer light source can give you more intense light.

A high enough wattage bulb is able to provide a higher intensity of light over a small area than the sun can, that is the key way that it is "better", along with the fact that it's under your direct control.

The sun has a lot of advantages, for starters, it's free. But when it comes down to maximum light intensity, it can't beat a big HID light at close range.

This is why outdoor grown bud just doesn't have the density of indoor bud, the indoor bud is being given an unnaturally high level of light.

You can improve on your quantity of outdoor light if you are willing to do some extra work though. If you can make your plants flower during the more intense summer sun, they will benefit a lot from the increased light, it's basically moving the bulb closer due to the whole angle of the sun thing.

You can take advantage of that strong summer light by either covering and uncovering an outdoor plant, or using an autoflowering one to save you the trouble. It still won't beat a high wattage HID, but it will be a lot better than the fall/winter sun.

13. ok let me break this down

Mainly, I'm saying that the sun, while huge, is really far away, while the bulb can be kept much closer to the plants. Because of the fact that light energy falls off tremendously as range from the light source increases, the smaller, closer light source can give you more intense light.

irrelevent

A high enough wattage bulb is able to provide a higher intensity of light over a small area than the sun can, that is the key way that it is "better", along with the fact that it's under your direct control.

control is the only benifit...I would rather loose control and run wild with mother nature

The sun has a lot of advantages, for starters, it's free. But when it comes down to maximum light intensity, it can't beat a big HID light at close range.

ok wheres your proof

This is why outdoor grown bud just doesn't have the density of indoor bud, the indoor bud is being given an unnaturally high level of light.

ok you see I have grow in both and the most dense bud I have ever seen was a batch of winter bud

( ok what is winter bud? winter bud is a clone that is ready to go into flowering (12 n 12) but instead goes to my friends roof garden in December crazzzy dense bud no strech done in 3-6 weeks)

You can improve on your quantity of outdoor light if you are willing to do some extra work though. If you can make your plants flower during the more intense summer sun, they will benefit a lot from the increased light, it's basically moving the bulb closer due to the whole angle of the sun thing.

ok the auto flower interest me have no info about it

You can take advantage of that strong summer light by either covering and uncovering an outdoor plant, or using an autoflowering one to save you the trouble. It still won't beat a high wattage HID, but it will be a lot better than the fall/winter sun

ok the auto flower interest me have no info about it

14. It looks like I wont be able to grow outside this year. are you in the southern hemisphere? :wave:

15. Yes sir I do

16. whats your Latitude and longitude? mine is
    3403′N 11815′W:wave:

17. I have have no idea, what it is.

I have just taken all the sun leaves off, there was some big ones. Outdoor hydro it's the way to go! Summer is slowly disappearing. In terms of light hours. I think the sun is heading your way. lol It is still hot though 35c in the day and 24 at night, cool change coming through tomorrow

Outdoor hydro it's the way to go! It does not affect your power bill. And no bulb is better than the sun.

18. Its time to get our seeds germinating out here in southern cali.....outdoor growing season is here....and I'm tryin to pull the same project off 5 gal. Dwc outdoor grow.....ill post my grow journal when I get started....few more weeks and were ready to go.....

19. Well good luck man I don't think I will be able to pull it off this season. there is always indoor all year :)

20. Not to many people talking bout this. How would you keep temps down in summer? Bury it mostly underground?