Barney's Farm Blue Cheese = Hermaphrodites

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by ssd, Oct 27, 2009.

1. So I ordered 10 BF Blue Cheese seeds from The Attitude and germinated 5 and out of 5 I get 3 Hermies. I'm fairly new (2nd indoor grows) to ordering seeds online but is this normal? I also ordered the Sensi Seeds Jack Herer strain and 3 out of 7 are hermies as well. I do the 18/6 to 12/12 lighting with MH for veg and HPS for flower and I just kinda shocked at the amount of hermies I'm getting

Someone want to recommend a good strain that is hermie free or is this normal for online seeds? Both seed strains by the way we not fems.

2. Are you having light problems or something dude? All my Barney's bluecheese which are in flowering in my journal are 100% female. Infact all my Femmed seeds have been groovy with no herimes, I have even cloned some.

3. I don't think so. What would cause them to go hermie from normal 1000w lighting? Fully sealed grow op with no light leaks. I must be doing something wrong though if nobody else is complaining. The only ferts I use are Fox Farms and Worm Tea.

4. Its not normal at all dude and most hermies that I see around the city are caused by light leaks.

Hope things work out for you.

5. Im growing BF blue cheese and no hermies, I order all my seeds from attitude online and have never had a hermie. Can you think of any other stress they are getting? Usually light leaks are the culprit, I tape the little red light on my power strip even.
    Have you ever stood in your grow room for 5 min. at lights out, if its possible for you to do then you should.. Good luck.

6. Hows your PH? check it regularly?

7. excuse the half off topic question but how does leaking light cause a plant to become a hermie?

8. Irregular light patterns will stress your plant out. going from flower to revegg back to flower in a short time is a good way of triggering it, but even small light leaks can 'confuse' the plant.

9. :mad: My blue cheese from barneys farm seed was small as shit and did not germinate at all

10. Absolutely. I use a Hanna Checker digital PH meter and water at around 6.5. I noticed adding the worm tea and bloom that it goes acidic and needs to be adjusted.

I have stood in my room with lights out and its dark (attic) I also taped over the green fan light that was glowing. With 2 separate strains from 2 different companies going hermie I would have to believe that it's something I'm doing. I did have to enter the room at dark for a minute or 2 a couple times this month. I wouldn't think that would have any affect but maybe it did.

11. I dont think going in a few times would do it, I cant think of anything else that makes em go hermie. light leaks and stress. Have you ever checked the runoff from watering?
    What soil are you using? My BF blue cheese seed was pretty small too, it popped up fast though and grows very vigorousley.. Ill keep thinkin about the hermie prob

12. I only use Organic Sun Gro Sunshine mix Sun Gro Horticulture | Products | Sunshine Professional Natural & Organic Mixes and I never check my runoff PH which I will do tomorrow when the lights are back on. Thanks for the advice :)

13. what does it mean when the the plants become hermie?

14. A female plant that "hermies" will develop male flowers and eventually produce pollen.

15. It meens when a plant has male and female reproduction parts, they will polinate themselves and your bud will be full of seeds and poinated pot doesnt grow nice and big and full of resin. I found a pic on the net of one, hope you dont mind me jackin your thread ssd

Attached Files:

16. o that sucks. how do u prevent this from happening

17. Dam bro I would have to say the problem is on your end. 2 different seed companies same results. I feel for you bro.. Those Jack seeds don't come cheap. :(

18. If I remember correctly you said you were growing in the attic? If thats the case the stress causing your plants to hermie may not be a light leak, it may be heat related stress from unnatural temps during light and dark cycles. I have had this very problem, in my case the lights out temps were higher than the lights on temps, I solved it by adding HVAC to my attic grow and more closely regulating temps

19. I only use the attic grow in the winter and grow outside in the summer. The room is very insulated but because of the fresh air intake the temps drop to 60 with the lights off and 70-75 when on.

Would you please tell me what model HVAC you use so I can look at it?

20. Barney's Farm has had several reports from growers here of getting hermies.