Running and Marijuana

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by -Peripheral, Oct 26, 2009.

1. I use to be very strict when I was in high school and I avoided a lot of excessive smoking. I actually didn't smoke another blunt after I started smoking in tenth till I got to my 12th grade year.

However, the same can't be said about this summer. During the month of July I probably smoked around 5-7 blunts per week and took rips from a bong every now and then. When college finally came in August I cut down to around 2-3 blunts per week for the next five months.

Now, during this year I have smoked around 7-10 times total. I haven't noticed a major impact on my lungs other than a lot of mucus production. Also, during a few races I did nearly throw up during the later stages of the race. I am not sure if this is from the amount I smoked or not. My times haven't really been affected too much but at the same time I haven't really tested them that frequently.

I am about to purchase a MFLB though because I still have tenedencies to want to smoke with my friends but I dislike the harshness of smoke on my lungs.

Of course, my only concern is after the amount of time I smoked ,which has really been about 7-8 months, would this have done any significant irreversible damage to my lungs or will my lungs be able to regain full capacity again? I think I just unnecessarily worry too much about it though.

2. No damage done, trust me.

My friend just sent me this pic of myself from junior year xc. It's pretty weird seeing old pictures of yourself haha. Check out the bib number. :cool:
    [​IMG]

3. Nice, yeah, I just got a Magic Flight to use now. Probably going to hit it after my long runs for inflammation. :smoke:

4. I love this thread! (even though its old haha). It's about time we have a place for us runners to congregate. I ran xc and long-distance track all four years of high school and did well in an extremely competitive school. 17:23 in the 5k and 4:24 in the 1500m. I would smoke all summer, then run all school year. Then junior year I decided i'd keep smoking during track season, and saw no detrimental effects at all. I probably smoked 4-5 times a week. I have yet to go on a run high though...

5. [​IMG]

From the original tour de france guys...
    OK so cycling is not running, but both endurance sport.
    Not blazing it, worse... Smoking cigarettes, uggg.
    But goes to show, man up and get the fuck out there... Smoking is probably not helping you perform at your peak... But regularly putting in the effort will give you gains above what you have. I smoke weed multiple times a day, and can still leave cycling buddies behind on climbs :p

Not a bad idea to try and save up for a decent vape. Fuck a lightbulb or china made vape, that shit sounds like you will breath in as much random chemicals as THC.

6. Word to the op I've been in the military for the past 2 years and I work out everyday (although I hate running) my pt scores are still low because I still run a 10:30 - 11:00  1.5 mile and  8:00-9:00 1 mile. 

what ive realized is every single time I hear about someone smoking anything and it not effecting there running I've also heard they're good runners. Which could mean :

A)People who are good runners have body built to handle such strenuous  tasks like running. therefore smoke is a small toll on the persons lungs.

B) Being a good runner , your ability overwhelms the  the negative effect that marijuana causes which mean if you stop smoking you just might improve...

C) your not a good runner you just happen to have a different type of lungs, that  are  almost impervious to smoke and can work with  lack of oxygen meaning your body is able to work at 100% longer than others.

7. #27 LQ142, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
    I've noticed a difference in my cardio output since I switched to vaporizing....the biggest difference is my ability to recover after pushing myself to the limit. My lungs used to feel real tight after climbing a hill on my bike but I don't have that issue anymore. THC dilates the bronchial tract, nicotine constricts it. 

Your lungs are self cleaning...working out speeds up this process of removing toxins from the body. I think around 70% of all toxins in the your body are released through the lungs.