CAn someone break this down for me?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by ucanfindmeinTHC, Oct 22, 2009.

1. What does the government actually think could happen if marijuana was legal that's keeping them from making it happen?

The only thing I could think of is there could be a spike in distribution of harder, more synthetic drugs, but with the resources they would be saving not prosecuting marijuana participants they could go after the real problems much more efficiently.

2. I don't know. Even Obama's memo yesterday called marijuana a "dangerous drug".

Why would he allow that when he's smoked it himself and he knows it's absolutely not dangerous?

It's got to be a political thing, something like if he doesn't say that then some people he needs to work with him will refuse. I think that's how they get rid of people they don't like in politics, everybody just refuses to work with them until they quit.

3. I was actually thinking of this earlier and on other occasions and i really can't think of any answer with solidly conclusive evidence, i really can't. We all know what marijuana prohibition is originally based on, racism and greed and Harry Anslinger, but as for why the government is continuing the ridiculous drug war? There are absolutely no facts in favor of keeping marijuana illegal, and i'm not saying that marijuana is harmless but it is blatantly more harmless than alcohol is.

One answer i can think of is that the old, biased generation is still in power. There are still some reasonable people on our side in the political world, who support legalization, but there are also still politicans who believe there is no such thing as medical marijuana and that marijuana ultimately leads to heroin..

And also, just not enough people have spoken up on the issue. Different polls and surveys result in different results so it's hard to be sure, but currently a little less than the majority of the country believes in legalizing marijuana. I'm sure that number will have to rise up to a majority of the pop. being supportive for anything to get done

But other than that, there is absolutely no scientific or statistical evidence that supports continuing prohibition, none at all. It's embarrassing and frustrating actually

It's all a matter of time before more and more people begin reconsidering their opinions and opening up to the facts

4. Dude, theres lots of reasons... farmers will grow weed instead of food and there will be no more food at wal-mart, kroger, nothing, just weed everywher... these arent things i beleive at all but thinking thru the mind of people who don't want it legalize yeah, there are lots and lots of crazy, but legitamate consquences and precautions that have to be taken in order to get all of this Cannibis Prohibitation taken care. The last time this country had prohibation was 1919, and they fixed it wiithin 1 year, and look at all the problems it created... Great Depression? Then a World War? Just look at the problem they have on their hands right now, they know it's a huge issue, a country can't just become an economic superpower based on capitlism, scarce resources, pharmeceutical companies, oil based plastic, gas based cars, and making Cannibis illegal and then after 60+ years all the sudden say ok hello world! we're actually gonna say its cool to grow weed all over and make all our clothes from cannabis, give all the people cannabis instead of vicidins,xanax,OCs, adderals, crack, meth, anything pharmeceutical companies and drug cartels depend on, create cannabis based plastics, and run all the cars on hemp oil burning diesel fuels and say, it's all cool right? We're just gonna switch over and make our trillions in debt go away, stop buying forgein oil, chinese shit, and just make everythign we ever need to love, eat, and be happy right here in America right under the sun. We all know all these truths about marijuana, there's so many versatile products that would be made from it, to compete with all the current products.
    Well I hope that all makes some sense.. other risks I've heard about legalizing is religion, all the politicians have to follow, some people think holy war would start if it were legalized.. there's a lot to think about..

5. The video pretty much summed up most of the reasons why it is illegal. There are many historical reasons why it was made illegal originally and has stayed illegal over time, but I think the main reasons why it is still illegal to this day is because the entire federal and state infrastructure and industry that has been built around it. Without marijuana, the DEA wouldn't be able to justify the size of its annual budget. Every State, and every major city has a drug task force that is designed around the prosecution of marijuana users and could not exist without it. When you have that many people in influential positions of power that their jobs rely on marijuana staying illegal, it will never be legalized. The reason that most of the Americans who don't want marijuana legalized believe the way they do is because of the propaganda that is spread by the same people that would lose their jobs if it were legalized.

6. Lobbyists working against anything pro-marijuana is my best guess. Something tells me TPTB might have something to do with it as well... who knows :confused:

7. Keeping money in the "right" pockets just about sums it up.