Being an introvert living in an extroverts world...

Discussion in 'General' started by Anaru, Oct 22, 2009.

1. #41 skatealex2, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
    I'm sure many introverts have an extroverted side to them................

i like being around funny people sometimes. its good to life at the cosmic joke of life

there are times when i feel like talking a lot.

Our minds our a continuing cycle, sometimes i can go a week straight without saying more than a few words, another week i may feel like talking non stop, and like bum said- i am very outspoken on my views also. if someone criticizes my music or the fact that i smoke weed- they are in for a long discussion...... think of it this way- by the end of a long day you are likely to experience countless mood changes and states of mind, even if you are just spending it in college or your room

i get satisfaction out of opening peoples minds........... but there are always those people that just don't listen to anyone else and can't understand that there us more to life then their tiny beliefs. no people annoy me more than stubborn extroverts :poke: , except maybe the dea and suicide bombers :yummy:

2. #42 LegitBaller, Oct 23, 2009
    what if it was the funniest thing in the world uttered by 1 of them?

i used to be extremely extroverted, but as each day passes i get more and more introverted...the more I see people the more I realize how goofy they are and the more I want to chill by myself or with my close friends. Ill never be a true introvert, i think thats borderline unhealthy...but then again so is being totally extroverted.

3. ah man, i hate that, i swear i see it 5 times a day on campus
    i've noticed that the girls in the group usually look exactly the same, too

4. Though I had periods when I was very outgoing and today I would consider myself an outgoing person, I'm an introvert at heart. The problem with introversion is that you sometimes want to isolate yourself and not really talk to other people. However, communication is vital in this world, and the face to face interaction that historically has been associated with this communication is also very important.

If we get too comfortable and we aren't social enough, we might not gain the social skills we need or if we have them they may atrophy. I know for a long time I just didn't have them and I wasn't interested in getting them, hell that would mean I'd be around more people more of the time and I didn't really like people to begin with I told myself. Then I realized you simply have to develop social skills to get a lot of the good things in life. Friends, romantic interests, promotions, etc.. In the process I realized I enjoy interacting with people more than I once thought, and I've since had a different outlook on communicating and other people in general.

5. next time, turn the joke on them

as you walk by, for no reason laugh like it was the funniest thing in the world...

report back :D

6. wow, this is such a cool thread.

i am basically the definition of an introvert, and i agree with the OP that it does suck sometimes.

i HATE when people say shit to me like, "dude, you need talk more" its really annoying to me. i mean, I CANT HELP IT, i just have nothing to say! i dont know why i am so socially awkward.. i just generally feel detached from most social situations and alienated from my peers..

ive been diagnosed with "social anxiety" and "depression" but its bullshit if you ask me. theres nothing wrong with me, thats just my personality! just because im shy, and pessimistic doesnt mean i have some sort of disorder, or disease! thats just how i am and always will be and other people just need to learn to accept that.

its not that i enjoy being some kind of antisocial loner, or that i dislike other people.. its that im often concerned that other people dislike ME. the only people im really comfortable around are my close friends who ive known since elementary or middle school. im like a completely different person when its just me and my friends.. im not afraid to say all of the crazy shit that pops into my head all the time and i often get so talkative and annoying they have to tell me to shut up! but when im around other people, even with my friends present, i instantly turn shy and quiet and dont know how to act around them..

i dont know.. im rambling.. i cant help it, i think too much.. :p

7. #47 Sovereign Psyche, Oct 23, 2009

i hope they didnt present it to you as a "disorder"
    i would like to think that they were merely letting you know about it; so that you can control and empower these personality traits

if you act like yourself
    and (act like you) dont care whether ppl do or do not like you [obviously mostly everyone cares, whether they admit it or not, whether ppl(not all, just some) dislike or like them]

i have a trust issue
    i have been betrayed, and mistreated by a few of my old close friends (whom i knew since kindergarten)
    so i have an issue for letting ppl into my heart, and into my zone
    i, in a way, dont want ppl to like me, so that i dont have to decide who are my closer friends
    b/c i find that the ppl that make me laugh the most, and the ppl that share the same interests/hobbies/ideas that i do; often dont share my morality(which isnt even a huge request)
    maybe im just paranoid

i do censor myself to a certain degree around ppl
    especially if im really high

i CAN NOT! party while im high
    i become an extreme introvert, and mostly observe those around me, rather than engage

however, if im around a person that i trust, i can act like myself(while high)

ENTJ, btw, if anyone cares
    i love knowing that
    teaches me a lot
    enables/empowers me, if you will

8. Well said

9. yeah, thats pretty much how it went down.. prescribed me to SSRIs to treat my "malfunction"...

theres not really anything i can do about my shyness.. its just an automatic response for me. i cant just up and decide "ok, im not going to be shy anymore" it just doesnt work like that.

10. Ahh my people! It sucks being a girl and an introvert...people just expect you to be extremely charming and talkative. My old roommate was introverted too and we clicked instantly...we'd have times where we'd be in the same room, not say a word and be fine...and sometimes we'd have really long, meaningful discussions about life and ideas. she was so awesome!
    But the extrovertist world can be harsh sometimes...I get asked if I'm alright or bored all the time if I'm not talking. Yes I'm fine, no I'm not bored, I just have nothing to contribute and I'm fine just listening!

11. yea agreed... us intros have to take over the world!!!

12. I'm glad this thread came up. I find it so annoying when hanging out with certain friends everybody is drinking having a good time and I'm just sitting there hanging out. Then a friend or two will be like "Is everything alright?", "Are you okay???", "Talk!". If I wanted to talk I would! :p

13. ^^^ Quoted For Truth!

14. Ok, first of all most of the books in the bible were written a while after they actually "happened" and were written on a bunch of hearsay(the new testament for the most part). Secondly, you're telling me the stories in the bible are actually true? Like a dude living in a whale's stomach for a few days, are you kidding me? Third, you do know that most of the stories in the bible are just recycled from previous religions right? And last, as a response to your most hilarious statement that the bible has always been the same, the bible has changed a lot over the years, from constantine, to the catholic church, to king james, they all had their hand in mixing it up a bit, i mean king james changed the name of one of jesus's disciples just so his name would be in the bible.

You should take a look at christianity from the outside of your bubble.

And onto the original point of the thread...I don't mind being an introvert, I have a lot of extroverted friends and I have a good time hanging out with them. I'm often quiet but it's cool I enjoy listening to people as long as they've got something real to say. The only time I've noticed problems arise is when extroverted people try to force me into being an extrovert, it just makes me uncomfortable and pissed off.

15. I can now really appreciate being an introvert thanks to the company of you all

smoke weed
    :p

P.s. i jus wanna +rep the Fuck outa you guys.. no homo

16. I am an introvert with social anxiety.

Which sucks.

Almost everyone I chill around are extroverts and it is sometimes really stressful.

Thank god weed cures that problem

17. I have no problem being introverted, i tend to think a lot and choose my words carefully before saying things. At times though i can be extroverted, usually when im in a really good mood

18. Fuck all y'all introverts...grow up, realize everyone puts their pants on the same way and tell the world what you think! For those who don't know how to shut up, thats not extroverts - thats just assholes who think they are extroverts...

19. #59 new buddy, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2009
    this conversation is pretty heavy. I can't think right when I'm tired, so I'm gunna collapse this and come back later

edit: i think that just the fact that introverts actually take the time to understand extroverts shows a gap in intelligence. of course this definitely isn't true for everyone, but I've never met an extrovert who take the time to understand how an introverts mind works. while introverts clearly (even on this forum) take the time to think about how extroverts are different. sorry if im babbling bull shit, im kinda burnt and really tired

20. It's creepie if you sit there silently. If you're going to be offended by someone who tells you to talk more then maybe you should stay home..