Anyone ever drank Moonshine?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by ykm420, Oct 11, 2009.

1. it tastes and smells horrible. I cant even smell it anymore without gaggin. Even in a mixed drink its extremely noticeable.

2. Lol I've lived in the south my entire life and It's always been the opposite, except they use a different phrase than black man. But yea, shine will tear you the fuck up if your not careful, make sure where you get it from is legit, or it can make you go blind.

3. sorry to double post, but dude your spreading misinformation, its not about the alcohol content, its about the person making the moonshine not following the correct procedures. 140 proof will make you blind just like 195 if the guy messed it up. I can't stress this enough, be careful.

4. first time i drank moonshine i was trippin balls on lsd tubing on a river...chugged a bottle of something someone handed me ....burned like hell ...then i was possed by belial himself...doing backflips off the high banks....pounded a pint of jd like water on the ride home..next day couldnt see shit...and drank a enormous amount of water. but you can buy everclear 190 proof...same thing really,,,after 190 its jus straight ethanol,heck go to the gas station.

5. Bros,

Some of my favs are peach and strawberry, my good friend is from Kentucky so I have an endless supply lmao...

BBB

6. If its made out of peaches or strawberries, its brandy. Illegal brandy prehaps, but still brandy. Moonshine is always made out of corn.

7. ive seen people soak peaches or strawberries for weeks at a time in the moonshine to flavor it. thats probably what hes saying.

8. yeah its like making hooch in the clink accept you do a few more things,people round here make apple jack,moreless a fermenting process then you freeze your final product a couple times to get the good jack mayne.

9. Apple Jack is some good stuff! I had that in Vermont once.

10. #51 LD100, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
    Aw, c'mon guys, with all this "it can blind you" stuff. Ya need to do your homework! The main problem back in the way was that they were using lead/galvinized pipes and brass fittings. In the manufacturing of brass, they use lead. You need to use all copper for your distillation appiratus.

The second problem is the part of the distillate that is harmful to you. When a mash or wash is fermenting, it is converting in to all sorts of alcohols, the main two being methanol and ethanol (ethyl) and some other lesser alcohols. Methanol is poison, so is ethanol (drinking alchohol) but methanol is the one that will bind you in large doses. It is present in anything that is fermented, but when you distill it, you concentrate it. It's also the reason for those really crappy hangovers you get, because basically, you just poisoned yourself :hello::p

Lucky for us though, different liquids turn into gas form at different temperatures. Alcohols temperature comes before water, and that is how we are able to seperate the two. The wash is heated up slowly, the ethyl/methyl alchohols turn into hot vapor, travel up the column of the still, go through a condenser where it is cooled down into a liquid form, and exits through the end of the condenser into where you are collecting it. Even better is that the more harmfull of the alchohols (the ones that are truely bad for us) come out in the largest concentration at the beginning of the run. This is approximately the first 50ml of distillate, you take this (called "taking a cut") and get rid of it, or store it to use to clean things. THAT is the part that is harmful to you. Everything else is fair game. But please don't hold me to any actual number on that, there is a formula that takes into account the amount of wash in your still at the beginning.

Anyways, its interesting I came across this thread, because I just found a few pictures I took of my still, as I was putting it together. the column has not been cut to size (the thick part). It would attatch to a lid of a "boiler" which contains the wash/mash. The two openings on the arm, are where the water flows into and out of the condenser. Naturally, the little opening at the end is where the alchy comes out :p

Here is a drawing that tries to explain a little better how everything fits together. The Leibig condneser, as its called, basically has a straight tube, that is sleeved with cool water flowing through.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the column/arm assembly I put together with a friends help. The column isn't cut to length yet. The cap on the bottom should have a hole and be attached to the top of the boiler (using STAINLESS STEEL, nothign else.)

[​IMG]

Word of advice, never put high proof alcohol into plastic; it leaches all the nasties out of the plastic, and is horrible for you, and tastes bad too. If you have any Q's feel free to ask. :D Hope you guys enjoyed!

LD

11. i love apple jack moonshine. becareful with a fractionating still, if your math gets fucked up you will not get all of the methanol out of the wash. triple distilling in a pot still is safer...well except for the tendancy of boiling alcohol to explode. but either way follow the instructions to make the still exactly, not a lot of room for error

12. i've had moonshine many times

whenever i drink at my dealers house the moonshine always comes out

13. underestimating the strength of moonshine, one night i decided to mix about 6 shots with a couple xaneys. needless to say i was completley trashed the entire night. but the upside? no hangover the next day =)

14. Yea, here's a good equivalency chart I found online somewhere a couple days ago. If only more people knew this before they started pounding shots like they are superman. :hello::rolleyes:

The uber-alchohol there is Everclear. It comes in two strengths, this one being 95%, or 190 proof.

For any of the few that don't know, proof is just double the %. ;)

Attached Files:

• 3947.jpg
      3947.jpg
      File size:
      244.2 KB
      Views:
  15. The mr distiller thing is crap from what I hear. It does not maintain a constant temperature, making it hard to make accurate cuts of your distillate, which ends up with it tasting nasty.

So true. If anything, take a larger junk cut than you calculated, itll taste better anyway. I've always wanted to try some apple jack but never got around to it. Maybe I will. Fractioning stills or more complicated than pot stills, and produce a much higher proof distillate in a single run. Fractioning, reflux, vapor management, liquid management...they are all more for your vodkas, and other pretty tasteless, more pure, alcohols. Pot stills are where you get your whiskeys, ect. The are built for taste, to show the work you put into the mash. :D

Exploding stills is a result of poor design. There should always be a safety; somethign that gives out under pressure. I could see vapor management being the most critical with this since you are dealing with valves and such.

Super jealous!

I think the reoccuring theme here is, if you're going to try this...RESEARCH...A LOT!! There is a great forum, that is not hard to find. I won't link it though, that has to be against TOS, but it has something to do with distilling at home. ;)

16. I think I posted in here a while ago, but just thought I'd add that I'm about to begin construction on a still myself. I've got ALMOST everything hardware wise, and should have it up and running as soon as i get some time to throw it all together. One of my best friends has had one on his property for almost 7 years now, and mine will be pretty much identical to his. He has also been generous enough to share his recipe with me, so I'm pretty excited. :hello:

17. fuck ya. drink the best and drive the rest hehehe. seriously you can use the junk cut as starter fluid, seen it done

18. haha just the other day this kids parents make it. it was bomb. shitty tastin but got you smashed.

19. oh yeah, that shit's a real easy way to get blackout.