Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Renters and how to deal with them

• Please log in to reply

evilhoodlem

evilhoodlem

Medical Grower

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,380 posts
Hey.

I wanted to start a small 4 plant grow. I have an active Medical prop 215 card, and Everything is by the book.

My roommates dont want me to grow because in the lease we signed to rent the house it said "no drugs, and pets." and are afraid we will be evicted.

since i have a medical card can i still grow and not worrying about being evicted because we broke the rent contract.

Thanks Evil :smoke:

Ice Queen

Ice Queen

• Registered Upgraded
  • 215 posts
There are no protections for MMJ patients with respect to employment, and the situation for housing is not much better. If your rental agreement prohibits drugs, you are in violation of the rental agreement if you grow in your house.

In short: grow at your own risk. If your roommates rat you out, or you're discovered by your landlord, you could be evicted. You can try taking your landlord to court, but you'll still be homeless in the meantime, and it's extremely unlikely you'll win since you signed a contract saying you would not have drugs in the home.

Edited by Ice Queen, 10 October 2009 - 03:20 PM.

HotMark

HotMark

I'm myself, deal with it

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Yea I'd have to say don't do it. However, IF you know 100% your landlord smokes himself (like if you two lit up together would be a sure sign) then you could ask if it was ok. However I doubt that's the case here.

WildWill

WildWill

Just Wild and Crazy

• Old School
  • 20,034 posts
Yeah, your recommendation doesn't protect you from eviction in the least. In the past evil landlords have evicted disabled patients because they smoked/grew in their units against the lease.

I wouldn't try it at all. ESPECIALLY if your other roommates are against you doing it. It's one thing to thumb your nose at the landlord, it's quite another to disrespect your roomies wishes.

NOW, if you move into a new place and the lease HAS no drug clauses, there's nothing they can do. My new apartment has no drug clauses on the lease at all, it's a very simple agreement, but alas, I killed my plant. Unfortunately most landlords use a boiler plate lease agreement from the apartment associations, and they all have the drug policy. Perhaps if you're up front with potential landlords during the interview process, you could find a sympathetic owner who's willing to strike that clause.

Fortunately the DEA has stopped threatening to seize property where patient grows are happening, and since the various communities are basically telling patients to grow their own, a small personal grow isn't threatenting at all anymore. BUT definitely don't grow more than you're allowed, and don't even think about diversion.

evilhoodlem

evilhoodlem

Medical Grower

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,380 posts
Damn I was really thinking there might be some law that you guys knew that could help me out. But I guess I'll have to bit the bullet this time.

As much as I love growing, I love my roommates more an don't want to make anyone homeless. And I don't think it would be worth the risk if it means getting kicked out.

It sucks my grow was going to have weather sealed doors and stuff like that to seal it for light and smell. :(

thanks everyone, even though it was bad news :)

aaronman

aaronman

n'wah

• Registered Upgraded
  • 14,794 posts
It just says "No drugs"? So you can't have coffee or aspirin in the house?

If it says "No illegal drugs" then I'd say you're cool.

WildWill

WildWill

Just Wild and Crazy

• Old School
  • 20,034 posts
Nope...evictions have already occurred for being a legal MMJ patient growing in an apartment

AltWeeklies.com | San Luis Obispo New Times | Evicted for Medical Marijuana?
Local medicinal marijuana patient evicted - KESQ.com Palm Springs, Coachella Valley - Weather, News, Sports:

evilhoodlem

evilhoodlem

Medical Grower

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,380 posts
I wonder if I can just write the landlord and ask permission. But, I think thY could go wayy wrong.

calicheese23

calicheese23

Bronze member

• Bronze Member
  • 1,179 posts

MadScientist215

MadScientist215

The Mad Batcher

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,375 posts
you could always move to humboldt. they do things a bit differently there :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users