Basketball The Official NBA Thread

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Dickie4:20, Oct 8, 2009.

1. weird....i feel like there should be a charge for this. THIS. DICK. AINT. FREEEEEEE.

2. Good bounce back win in TD Garden tonight.  We had some deep rotation guys carry us to victory in this one (no Wade or Whiteside to go along with Bosh DNP).  Talk about professional, shaking off that terrible loss that happened less than 24 hours before tip off.  

Same problem tho, couldn't score for shit in the 4th quarter.  I believe we had 14 points instead of 9, and you have to take into account they had us shooting FTs for intentional fouls.  Either way a win is a win, and I'll take anything at this point.

Unfortunately, the Bulls moved into 3rd which makes me question if it's even worth pushing for that 6th seed, not that we have a good chance of grabbing it anyway.. But damn that leaves the choice of ATL, Cavs, and Bulls first round.  Cavs have LeBron, and there's no way he'll lose to his former team in the first round - what a legacy hit.  Bulls are looking too deep, they'll wipe the floor with the Heat and I can't stand to watch that; I'll always view the Bulls as Bitches.  Definitely not trying to see Noah happy at my team's expense.  They shall remain our son's in my mind.

That leaves ATL, who despite being the run away 1st seed well they've struggled quite a bit in this final stretch.  And most important of all they aren't proven as a playoff unit.  I mean I kind of expect them to excel, but.... Well damn it's pick your poison really.  I don't see the Heat beating any of those MOFOs to be completely honest with you.  I'm just trying to see who we can extend the series a little against so I can see my team play a little more ball, potentially get the rooks some playoff experience.

3. Bebe guapo , ill throw all the pesos u want

[​IMG]

4. I think the Warriors need someone they could give the ball in the post to.  When the game slows down in the playoffs, perimeter play gets very tough.  Not to mention a post game frees up everything else on the floor.  I've just never seen a team win it all without anyone at all that they could give it to in the post.  The Heat weren't able to really be successful until LeBron added the post up to his game, and that allowed for Wade cuts to the basket, Bosh open jumpers, ect,.  
    \nNow I know people will say "but they're up there in points in the paint" , yeah but they're also up there in fastbreak points so that stat is a bit skewed.  Bogut is only averaging like 5 points a game, and he really doesn't play that role.  Maybe they'll need to get David Lee more active in the rotation. 

5. valid points, but you also have to consider that the Dubs as a team probably have the strongest gravitational force pulling defenders toward the perimeter.  it opens up the paint a lot for drives and cuts to the extent that they almost don't need a major post-threat.  even when the shooters aren't connecting, they still have enough fire power that defenses still have to continue to respect their shot, and the gravitational pull still continues to exist.

honestly there's never really been a team quite like them in NBA history because of how perimeter oriented the game has become, and they exploit that more than probably any team ever.

im really curious to see how they fare in the playoffs this year.  i have high expectations for them despite the argument you can make about them still being unproven.

6. #57486 tetoleetd, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    i would like to see david lee play more minutes, but with speights playing so well and bogut being key to the team's success, plus big dick dray's emergence.... its just hard for lee to get more than 15-18 minutes most nights.

and i agree with Fresh that the warriors dont really need a dominant post threat. our offense has so many options and has been executing so well for most of the year, that i dont think lack of a post presence is going to cost us a series. plus the warriors are a good half court team, its just that we are excellent when pushing the pace. i dont think playing a more halfcourt game will hurt us much at all.

if we lose in the playoffs its going to be because our shots arent falling or we didnt take care of the ball IMO.

that's true for literally any team playing in any basketball game ever lol.

8. i guess if you want to look at it from a simpleton's perspective.

there can be many reasons why teams lose games. its not just because of shots not falling or turnovers lol.

various reasons could include:

injuries
    bad defense
    not enough talent
    bad matchup
    bad coaching
    bad luck or bad break
    etc

so my point is the warriors will only lose if they beat themselves, I.E. dont make the shots they normally do or turn the ball over excessively which has been an issue at times this season.

9. #57489 TimothyTheFirst, Mar 27, 2015
    those are also possible reasons for a team to lose.    but shooting well and not turning the ball over are kind of synonymous with "playing well", and teams who don't play well tend to lose.

all the speculation over whether or not the warriors will be successful in the playoffs is kind of...  we'll find out in about a month anyways, lol. 

also, I just stumbled across this. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2222903-br-nba-legends-100-ranking-the-greatest-shooting-guards-of-all-time/page/28

I don't agree with a lot of that list (plus the fact that they included several point guards on there...), but it's kind of interesting.

10. i havent said either of those things though. im just saying they will only lose if they beat themselves. i dont see them getting outmatched or out coached.

11. ...

...*regular season stats ^^^*

and in the playoffs I could definitely see the possibly being outmatched or outcoached for a series.  I wouldn't bet on it, but it could definitely happen.  if they run into Portland in the second round and Aldridge goes off like he did in the playoffs last year, that could be a problem.  

The rockets could also be a really bad matchup for them if howard plays to his potential, the rockets are also really good on the perimeter so GSW wouldn't be able to just collapse on howard.

Plus I'm not ready to say Steve Kerr is the best coach in the NBA in his first season.  We've seen Poppovich out-coach some of the best to ever do it, he could give Kerr a lesson in playoff basketball.

Once again, I'm not guaranteeing the warriors go down in the first round or anything, but they're not the 96 bulls no matter how you wanna break it down.  they're beatable.  

12. I just wish everyone including the media would stop gassing my team so excessively. I feel like if anything will be their downfall, it will be the pressure.

13. I'm going to laugh when half the guys from Kentucky who make the jump to the NBA are out within 5 years in the NBA. Maybe 2-3 players become NBA rotation players. These kids look great in college, but they are playing a bunch of kids their age, or NBA rejects (kids that stayed in college because they knew they'd go undrafted). Given that all the great prospects leave after 1yr, I'd say the amount of talent in college basketball has gone downhill since you don't have many of those juniors and seniors that could be in NBA team like there used to be in 80's (and to a lesser extent in the 90's). Kentucky shot 37% vs Cincinnati in the tournament, you imagine what they would shoot like against an NBA team? For the season they were a .466 shooting team, and that's vs a ton of small, terrible schools too, imagine vs an NBA team, they'd probably he shooting under .400. It's unbelievable to me that people think Kentucky could beat an NBA team.

14. KD out for 4 to 6 months

15. #57495 Fresh Error, Mar 27, 2015
    KD to undergo bone graft surgery in his foot and miss 4-6 months

wow.  with how infrequently people post in here its pretty impressive that i got ninjad as i was posting that :laughing:

16. GS fans can smile now knowing they surely won't have to worry about a fully loaded OKC team now.  That series goes 5 games at most.

The Curse of the Non LeBron MVPs is confirmed. Rose missed 39 games the next season after winning MVP award, Durant after 27 games. 
    I feel sorry for new MVP, whoever it will be.

[​IMG]

That's 3 foot surgeries in a year span.  Never a good thing for a big man.  I'm hoping the basketball gods spare him for the sake of the league.

17. #57497 TimothyTheFirst, Mar 27, 2015
    they were also both on the cover of 2k (durant and rose).

shit there might be a 2k cover curse now like there used to be for madden.  Kd missing a ton of games this year, lebron missed a few last year (not a lot tho), Rose missed all of 2k13 when he was on the cover with durant/blake

and before that everybody on the cover was retired for a couple years.

also, I feel like it's really hard to say if the overall talent in college basketball is better or worse because of one and dones.  I'd guess worse for the same reason you said, but there's also a lot more training and camps and instruction for top high school kids than their used to be.  it's taken a lot more seriously these days.  by the same token AAU is kind of shitty basketball most of the time.

and most of kentucky's roster will definitely be role players at best.  Most of the guys Calipari has sent to the league are.  Outside of wall, cousins, davis, rose, there's a lot of decent-pretty good role players.  Thing about this years kentucky team, is that most of the team looks like a decent rotation guy in the league.

18. Kd dips out on team usa to avoid injury, ends up missing most of the year anyway. And the guys that did play for team usa are all having great years, except for pg obviously

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. it's not like it affected team USA in anyway, they still dominated every game.  KD got the stress fracture in preseason, only a couple weeks after fiba ended, so extra stress would have just advanced the injury most likely

20. warriors hit the 60 win plateau(franchise record too) and clinch the top seed in the west.

[​IMG]