Basketball The Official NBA Thread

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Dickie4:20, Oct 8, 2009.

well i can see how people might get upset at that..because of the "passion of the game", and not playing for the paycheck etc etc..

but i'd agree with you. 

get your money, people are just mad..let them hate. long as you get paid, who cares, really? 

2. #51862 Fresh Error, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
    how am i leaving that out?

i acknowledged your post and responded to a different part of it.

and guys "busting their ass for 82 games a season"

those poor poor millionaires that get entire summers off every year! :laughing: yes, they work hard and sacrifice their bodies over the course of a season but he's done that for the better part of 17 seasons.  let the man get his money and try to get healthy again if thats what he wants to do.  i see nothing distasteful about that.

3. #51863 JaySteele, Oct 24, 2014
    Putting words in my mouth dude.

I never expressed any ill-will towards Nash getting his money, I just cleared it up for those that figured this was only a story about an old man struggling to continue to play only for his passion of the game. Which is how your post came off. I'm not feeling sorry for anyone either.

For whatever reason you decided to get into the semantics of my use of the word "nothing." You probably still didn't get it so I'll give you an example.

Johnny: "Wow I got that xbox one for nothing. I only paid $100 for it!"  Obviously he doesn't mean he did absolutely nothing.

4. The only reason I should not be bothered by Nash hanging around is because its the Lakers wasting money, and I love when they do that.

-(Tim)-
    TakeTheCrown

5. fair enough.

6. #51866 JaySteele, Oct 24, 2014
    I find what Nash said, about people not wanting athletes to admit the financial aspect of the game plays a huge part, actually very true.

There's people out there that have no problem with the fact owners are trying to reap a profit, but expect their pawns (players) to not acknowledge it.  It's like they want to live with the blissful ignorance that this isn't a business and players are superheros saving the beautiful sport of basketball one generation at a time.

You can sit here and say "Athletes are so overpaid they don't need anymore money blah blah blah" but really they earned their place in a competitive league and rightfully deserve to make a small percentage of all the money the league ushers in off them.  Plus it's all relative.  As Kobe said, "Yes we're overpaid, but so are the owners."  Entertainment is highly valued in society, that's just how it is and will always be.  You can't be complaining over something like that while you have NBA league pass charging your credit card.  We the consumers are the reason these guys are overpaid.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Athletes arent paid relative to what they bring in. Damn shame. It sucks Nash cant play but he's just taking advantage of the situation he's been given. Definitely nothing wrong with that...ill just miss the 8 second offense days of old :(

8. Yeah I just realize Nash will be next to Moses Malone as the only two players to win multiple MVPs but not have a ring.

Anyways, 
    Would you guys sacrifice having to see ads on jerseys in order to get fewer TV timeouts?

• Like Like x 1
  9. that's like choosing whether id rather have my left or right nut cut off

• Like Like x 4
  10. i love these NBA BIG clips man
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDYyTjrkJZM

• Like Like x 1
  11. I'd rather have tv timeouts.  gives me time to grab a beer from the fridge without missing anything.

plus if they put ads in jerseys you know that means there's gonna be ads on the ones we can buy too.

• Like Like x 2
  12. plus if im chillin and watching the game with some buddies or something, thats more time the games on for and more time to talk about the game or just shoot the shit during commercials

tv timeouts are lame but i wouldnt even notice if there were a couple more of them.. there are enough stoppages in an NBA game that it would all just blend together anyway

ads on jerseys.. that compromises the entire aesthetic of the sport.. which sucks cuz basketball gear is fresh the way it is

• Like Like x 3
  13. i miss the days of nash and dirk dominating together

14. I fucking hope they don't put ads on jersey's like they do in Europe. I know it's all about money, but It looks stupid as hell.

Speaking of jerseys. I think Charlotte has some new rad looking uni's

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. God damn you Collison...

16. What a bloody game. 4 game ending injuries tonight.

17. Yeah yo the hornets have always had fire jerseys

18. YO.  WE DRAFT IN ABOUT 30 HOURS

HEADS UP YALL.  BE THERE IF YOU CAN.  IF NOT, SET YOUR AUTODRAFT PROPERLY.

• Like Like x 3
  19. I'll be there, but just wanted to point out that I could not find the auto draft rankings. I looked for 15 minutes too. Its so easy to find on Yahoo.

-(Tim)-
    TakeTheCrown

20. Oladipo or however you spell that niggas name from the magic.. Well he's out indefinitely.. Suffered a fractured face (probably jaw) in practice the other day