no subforum for coco growers???

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Freakshow68, Oct 4, 2009.

1. S'up wit dat???

I have way too many plants ( I should be running about 18 plants in the tray, not 29) going in a 3x3 tray, flood and drain with a 40 gallon rez. I change the rez once a week.

strains:
    La COnfidential
    Kushberry
    C99 (clone only cross between Borthers Grimm C99 and Joey Weed C99)

nutes:
    General Hydroponics 3 part, liquid KoolBloom, Cal Mag

current ppm

ph

Lights
    tray is under a 1000 Watt HPS, there's a 600 watt HPS in the room for my soil girls

medium
    Botanicare coco in one gallon grow bags

Attached Files:

2. and obviously no interest in growing in coco either.

3. Very nice grow. Im thinking about using coco some time in the future. Maybe you can set up a FAQ post for newcomers to coco. Could be the start of a sub forum. I'm very interested.

4. #4 CL4P-TP, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
    there are a few folks here doin a dutch wick .. you just got wait for em to crawl out of the wood work.

I have just started to use 50/50 coir/perlite for my clones and seedlings ( used to use the pellets.. both peat ..and coir) .. much better performance.

5. I use coco but do a coco/pro mix/perlite equal parts mix. Works just fine.

6. hot damn, there are some folks here. Thanks for stopping by!
    I'll see what I can do about the coco FAQ. This is actually my first coco grow, but have been growing in dirt and hydro for a while now.

7. Looks good. Are you still using the ebb and flow? How often did you flood during veg and flower? I am in the process of designing one with coco.

8. High
    nope, I've switched to a recirculating drip fed coco set up. It's working very very well.
    using GH 3 part nutes, plus liquid and powder kool bloom. Ph to 6.0. run the rez til it gets low (20 gallon for the small tray (picture below) and 40 gallon for the 3x3 tray)

bud shots are BlueGod, grown in coco at 7 1/2 weeks 12/12

Attached Files:

9. Nice bluegod? bluesomething x godbud?

10. Kewl a Coco forum, I won't have to sneak over to ICmag as often, I'm considering going Coco later this year or early next.
    Just learning all I can until then.
    Thanx for the new sub-forum
    S.S.

11. INdica dominant Blueberry mom x Godbud

12. I love to experiment with different grow methods! On the issue of coco, I am totally ignorant. Do folk use coco in a drip system, ebb & flow/flood & drain, wick system, or all of the above? :smoke:

13. mainly a drip system, either drip to waste or recirculating like i use. I run the timers for 15 minutes and catch the runoff in the main rez, much like an ebb and flo hydro setup.

i haven't seen any wick system coco grows - it's not like growing in passive hydro (hempy)

14. Is coco cheaper than hydroton?

15. #15 wharfrat74back, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
    yes . but you can reuse the hydroton.. well you can recycle the coir( mulch, vermicomposting, etc)

I start in 50/50 coir/perlite (solo cups).. and I water from the bottom using the coir as a wicking agent, giving the plants about 20 minutes every other day in an inch of water then solution later in life.
    and I have seen few growers who use 1-2 gallon grow bags and a soiless coir mix and they just water 2-3 inches of solution a week into 4X4 EnF trays

and cool a subform for coir :hello:.... TY GC and freakshow

16. coco can be rinsed and reused. I am about to start doing this.

I'd love to see pics of your grow, Warfrat. thanks for posting

17. What are the advantages of growing with coco vs other mediums? I'm sorry, I just don't get it. I've been using hydroton for years in a deep water culture system but I want to know.

18. well, i have done DWC grows and had to chenge the rez every week to keep the crud away. Since switching to coco, i get a more stable reservoir (ph wise), and I run the rez til it is low, with no algae or crud growing in the rez. The plants get a fresh flush of nute solution 3 times during lights on. I get fantastic growth, like hydro, huge buds, like hydro, but my buds taste like they were grown in soil. I don't have to renute the rez, I just check the ph to make sure it's not drifting too far. I usually just add a little ph up to get the level back to 6.0-6.1 and other than changing the rez out when it runs low, it's pretty much hands free growing. Ease of soil, easier than DWC hydro with hydro yields. I know a lot of big commercial growers growing in coco beds and getting fantastic yields - like this:

can't quite grow like that in DWC. soil yes, but you won't yield as much

Attached Files:

19. :eek:those comercial grows are crazzzzzzy:eek: but dont the plants compete for root space?

20. ^ yean plz answer that