Aquaponic Cannabis

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by geneticengineer, Oct 4, 2009.

1. #21 geneticengineer, May 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2010
    thedankness420

You would be contributing to the best cannabis growing method known to man since hydroponic systems were invented.

2. velanarris

Thank you man. I have been doing Aquaponics for about 2 1/2 years now. I have built several Aquaponic systems.

Attached Files:

3. PrplHz

Thanks sorry I did'nt reply earlier. This thread is going to become an active one. I just documented many different techniques that can alleviate the problem of P during flower.

I want people to get involved if they have any experience with aquaculture or hydro, or ideas to merge the 2. Aquaponics can be applied and there are several benefits.

The major benefits are:

1. self balanced ph, monitoring is optional
    2. just top off, you could do water changes, but its not entirely necessary depending on setup
    3. more automated, with fish feeders you can really just let it go weeks with a float valve for topoff
    4. flavor is ubelievable, just like soil
    5. the nutrients are more absorbable by plants
    6. nutrient burn is almost impossible
    7. no need to flush in my experience. i flushed some and let some go all the way no taste difference
    8. fish can be sold or eaten
    9. costly hydro products avoided
    10. systems can be assembled (just like hydro systems) for under 100 dollars, using recycled parts and containers
    11. the water is not dumped and does not pollute
    12. organic in nature, can be modified towards a chem approach or organic approach
    13. using old technologies in a new way this method can match the yield of its biggest competition, traditional hydroponics
    14. duckweed, worms and other food types can be grown to feed fish for more sustainability
    15. potential for indefinite paradigm shift in international cannabis growing is evident, almost expected
    16. large systems can eliminate the need for food dependance and give you the choice what to put in your body. mercury can be eliminated from seafood as can pesticides from produce.

I could think of more but I am distracted and busy right now.

Attached Files:

4. Cool brotha keep going on this shit... for now I will have to keep my aquaponics just to veg... as the extra nutes needed during the bloom will for sure kill fish... Once we have figured this shit out I will be very stoked on the outcome

5. about what size tank and amount of fish would be suitable for one plant? Also, would you say the fish were better off then in a normal aquarium?

6. Pretty nice concept...all makes sense but seems like a little to much work than needed. But hey i like to see new ideas like this because it only turns into another. Keep up the good work buddy.

Check out this bucket system from Current Culture.... Movies : Current Culture Hydroponics, superior hydroponic systems. Do you think that you could turn one of these buckets into your fish tank with fish for beneficial bacteria and such?

7. All you do is start the fish and hook up the appropriate system. From there its just top offs and fish feeding.

Way less work than soil or hydro.

8. Dank,

The size of the tank really depends on how many fish you plan on having. Start off with a 20 - 30 gallon tank which should be able to feed 3-6 plants. Your nutrients are based on your fish pooing. Take measurements of your nut levels if low add more fish. You don't need to have a proper fish aquarium, I do because it looks better and I think the fish are happier, but you can use any empty container just keep in mind the health of your fish so as long as the container is clean and wont leech anything into your system it should be fine.

To directly answer your question I would start one plant off with a few gold fish depending on the size, gold fish can live to be 30 years old and get pretty big.

check out this link for a good build
    Build a Mini-Aquaponic System

and here for a good system that I think would work great for one plant (with some minor mods of course)
    Small Aquaponic Unit

Hope this helps! Keep going!!!

9. eatyouryoung is right. thats a good starting strategy and it takes little startup costs and gives you a chance to experiment with fish/water/plant proportions.

10. I've started my new Aquaponics build.

11. #31 geneticengineer, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
    Update on my new Aquaponic beakthrough grow.

Here are pictures of my water processing station and current stock of Koi, Goldfish, and a Bullfrog Tadpole. I am illuminating, heating, and aerating the water which has added mycorrhizae, bacteria, microbials, urine, and pond mud; this is to catalyze the "Nitrogen Cycle" which is required for Aquaponics.

Attached Files:

12. Looks really good bud Ill have to post my set up at well

13. Building another laboratory for aquaponics.

Attached Files:

14. Ok I got a decent layout all set up. I have a 4x8 grow space and my laboratory is build around that.

15. Update-

I have built fish tank #1. I am currently treating the water for chemicals and I am cycling bacteria. In 24-48 hours I will transplant the fish I have so far into here.

Featured is FISH TANK #1:

NOZZLE #1 : Venturi Micro Atomizer (<100 micron bubbles)
    NOZZLE #2 : Venturi Crude Bubble Ejector (high air volume mix big bubbles)
    NOZZLE #3 : Venturi Double Intake w/mainline fitting (3 venturi throats, highly adjustable)

Checked out some different fish species today and checked in with the dispensary for some strains. Still nothing that I want mostly "Kush" varieties.

Attached Files:

16. I started my fish training as stated earlier. I am beginning the process of "dog and pony" training for my fish. Together with my fish I am going to grow some good medicine.

Attached Files:

17. why is it that your training your fish? good vibes?

and would you mind explaining a venturi to me? i've read the wikipedia definition a few times prior but how do you use it to oxygenate your water lines? am i correct in thinking that it creates a siphon which sucks air into the line?

sorry for all the questions, but i feel like i just hit a gold mine by finding you on grasscity. damn good thing you made that youtube post about being on the forums:hello:

18. #38 donedeal, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
    have you thought of any way to decrease the leggyness of your plants? diluting the N of the water towards the end of flowering seems like it would be something too difficult to try to mess with...

edit: i supposed you could have multiple tanks with different stocking densities for different stages of flowering. maybe just 2 tanks. the veg + first 2 weeks of flowering tank, and the flowering tank with less fish. with a well developed system and nutrient supplements that would theoretically make up for the decrease in fish right?

19. donedeal you got it man. something like that. it needs to be played with.

the flavor is just like organic soil and the plants are in no stress whatsoever from nutes

20. #40 donedeal, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2010
    edit: this is a great website for anyone who has my questions about venturis
    http://leisure.prior-it.co.uk/venturi-pond-aeration.shtml

it seems they are pretty inefficient to use because of how much they cut down the water flow. i had an idea to put them in few 1" pvc lines but i dont know if it would be worth the trade off