All my seedlings always die .... why?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by stankopolis, Sep 22, 2009.

1. i know the feeling stank.... my 1 plant just showed sex yesterday.... damn i dont want to kill that lil bastard..... guess thats the chance you take growing 1 plant at a time. oh well. ive got 3 seeds out of a 1/2 of a decent sativa dom strain.. will probably germ them in the next few days.

2. Ok guys, I think I need more help. I am kinda worried about my babies and am not quite sure what to do next. Here goes:

I have been vegging my plants for close to two months now and I am beginning to show some serious nute def. or ph problems, or maybe it is a root bound issue. I had my plants in MG continuous release soil, so I automatically thought that ph was the issue. I hadn't been nuteing them because of this soil also.

So, after the yellowing was noticed, I started nuteing (FF Grow Big, 1/2 Tp/gal) and also was checking the PH. PH seems fine, I put in distilled water at 7.0 and run-off comes out at 6.4. This is isn't too bad is it. Or is it because there are PH buffers in MG soil that run off will always come out 6.4 no matter the PH of water inserted???

I also have upgraded my cab a little. I have 400 actual watts of CFL @ 6500K and I recently added a 400W MH @ 4100K in an air cooled hood with a 6" vortex fan which keeps my temps at a solid 75-77 in my grow cab.

I planned on switching to 12/12 2 weeks ago, but figured I should try and get this nute thing fixed first. However, its been two weeks and most of the plants still show yellowing of lower fan leaves and I need to start flowering like NOW.

What should I do?
    What most likely is the problem with the plants?
    How can I rectify it?

A thousand thanks.

Attached Files:

3. looks to me like you got some overwatering going on. plus what size are those pots they look alittle small brush some dirt away from the sides and see if the roots are putting pressure on the pots. also i know sometimes soil selection is limited, just try to stay away from the mg with time released ferts. hope this helped. also i would start flowering those babies soon

4. I agree. over watering and get some "clean" soil <fert-less> gl

5. Thanks for the input, I guess I will try and cut back on the waterings, maybe still do it every 2-3 days, but with half as much water as I have been giving them.

I will also take a peek at their roots and see if their bound or not, but quite honestly I don't think I am going to transplant them, regardless of what I find. Will this cause much damage? I don't have enough space for them to get any bigger than 2-3x what they are.

I really appreciate the feedback, I will try and start flowering tomorrow actually, as I have been getting kind of antsy.

6. Thanks, will try out half the amount of water but on the same schedule and see how I make out.

7. I'm actually look forward to one of these showing male, want more space and light for any of the females. Plus I want to try and see if I can make some oil for brownies with the male's leaves and stuff. Is this possible? I was thinking of cooking down all the trim in the oil, straining it, and then letting it cool. Then use that oil in Betty Crocker brownie mix. Done it before with actual herb, not sure if just the trimmings of an unfortunate male plant will work. What do you think?

Damn that sucks though that it was your only one at the time. How's your new grow going? Got a journal or other links?

8. #68 Grasshumper, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009

you would have to transplant them to bigger pots if the roots are pushing out. but if you do end up re potting them because of roots you only have to get a deeper pot not too much wider. you just want them to stay healthy and flourish. i use 2 1/2 gallon square pots. i had the problem with a root that grew out of pot then back down and it seriously slowed things down for plant and it never got bigger than 18 inches. it's still flowering now and in one of my journals here's a pic same size pot as yours with a problem you may potentially get. i my self got bigger pots so this doesn't happen again