First grow ever to flowering, 1 Blue Dream

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Philopian, Sep 21, 2009.

1. #1 Philopian, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009
    This is my first grow grow to flowering :hello: I am in North Cali. I am married 44 years old.
    I didn't do anything to fertilize until late the 3rd month of vegetative growth and after a month switch from miracle gro 23-18-12 or something like that to a botanical extract 4-26-26 for flowering. I put frog tank water, it's an underwater frog in a 55 gal tank, in once a month for nutrients. I have live aquarium plants and only sparingly add nutrients to the tank water, the feeder fish and small nitecrawlers served as food make up the rest. I have a fluval filter. I don't know the PH.

Can anyone confirm in the post that follows with pictures is the plant a Blue Dream strain? The buds smell like Northern Lights to me. It was planted from local bagseed, local in Northern Cali.

Kerry Lynn is on her 3rd week of flowering, I did LST to keep it under 27" until 2 weeks ago I wasn't creative with the tops sticking up that now make it 31" tall.

My wife just interrupted me to smoke, and I just wonder did my dog pickup half a doobie?
    It's not there, I looked around the house and the yard, and no I didn't forget where I left it.
    He is almost 23 months old, a brazilian mastiff, and he has taken a nip at my plant already.
    Have to watch him, don't want him to ingest too much mmj, not good fog dogs.

:bongin:
    Phil

2. wow... did you actually type all this up.....

... i hope you copied it from word or somethin.....

pics would be nice... awesome post

3. damn dude wish it was more small and concise im too lazy :wave:<~

4. #4 Philopian, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009
    I started saving all the info back in August and named it "August Grow Journal"...so it's been a work in progesss. I copied and pasted 90%. I just edited it down, I thought of putting it in the new to growing section.
    ;)
    It started out just planting a seed amongst 5 Anaheim chili peppers growing in an approx 8 gallon container with a mixed soil content. I never fertilized it until about the start of the 3rd month when it reached the heighth of the chili plants. Then I joined grasscity forums and ditched the miracle gro and last week transplanted to a 15 gallon. Now I can rub the stems and get a nice minty smell. Supposed to be Blue Dream bagseed, after researching images online it looks inline with the budding I saw anyway. The minty bud smell reminds me of Northern Lights. This is my first mj plant that I planted and it started budding.

I planted a sour diesel bagseed a month earlier and it turned male. I harvested pollen when the blue dream went from showing pre-flower to the first pistils sticking out. Saturday in it's 3rd week of flowering I took the pollen and very carefully dusted a lower branch. I know it's a superficial cross and have 3 questions:

#1. Will it only seed the bud if applied carefully with a small brush?

#2. Is it 30 days until a seed matures in it's seed pod?

#3. Is it 45-60 days flowering for a true Blue Dream = flush at 6 weeks?

Blends with 5 Anaheim Chili Pepper Plants pretty good
    [​IMG]

Leaves broader than pure Sativa
    [​IMG]

Stalk is size of my finger, I am 6'2" 235 lbs give or take a turkey dinner
    [​IMG]

Widest view from the top
    [​IMG]

On the hook, a little lst going on
    [​IMG]

Off the hook, grows like this at nite freely
    [​IMG]

Underneath the canopy
    [​IMG]

Can't really see the light frosting around the flowers, but it's there
    [​IMG]

Same bud site just taken earlier in the full sunlight
    [​IMG]

Appreciate any feedback from Those More Experienced ~

Phil Jay

5. Starting to fill out on the tops ~
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice and hairy ~

[​IMG]

:D notice the swollen calyx ~

[​IMG]

6. lookin very nice bro...keep the pics coming

7. lookin great. keep it up.

8. If you got pollen anywhere near the branch you should get a few seeds. I use q-tips to pollinate, but you need a decent amount of pollen to dip it in. If your short on pollen you can dilute with baking flour 10/1 or even more. It only takes a single grain of pollen to make a seed.

Seeds take 2-4 weeks to develop. Cold weather can stunt development.

Plant looks Sativa dominant. I'd say your plant has at least 3-4 more weeks left. Pickup a 30x jewelers loupe and harvest based on trichome color.

9. Thanks all and since it's my 3rd time trying to grow in the past 25 years I am all ears listening on when to harvest. ?'s at the end if you can reply?

Never had one grow past 3 months so it's amazing to see those sparkles in the late 4th week of flowering. I intend to check trichomes every other day.
    :yummy:

Whatever strain I don't know but it sure did the job. It's definitely looking like an 80-20 sativa/indica but no blue tints or coloring....yet? It's got a nice sweet but slightly sickly smell. Hardly any tang or just a hint of skunk smell.
    No overpowering smell across the yard either so far so good.

Does look mostly sativa and I removed some of the biggest leafs because my pinching and lst work choked up and I cut the leafs to allow more light in. Those bigger leaves were like 8-9 inches long by 5-6 inches wide and the middle finger was just around 1 inch across and fatter than the rest.

I took a look this morning with a 20x scope for the first time today at the trichomes on 3 of the tops, easy to see with the natural lighting yeah,
    and so most trich's were clear and maybe 20% starting to cloud up.
    4 weeks from Thursday would make 8 weeks total flowering.
    I desire 50-75% amber trichomes for an insomnia sleep aid.

When trichs reach 40-50% cloudy should I start to flush?

How long for a sativa dominant to go from partly cloudy to mostly amber?

Far as temps 6 days last week over 90 mostly low humidity under 30% and today Monday temp dropped to 76 for high and low tonite at 56 degrees.
    10 day Forecast 72-75 high and low at nites around 54-58 degrees so quite a bit cooler than the last 4 weeks in Northern California.

Phil J

10. :D

Doing great yesterday start of 5th week flowering. Trichomes are clear to 75% milky. I am shooting for 50% plus Amber trichomes so abouts October 19th to cut er down. That'd be 6.5 weeks flowering and 17 weeks total ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phil J

11. :hello: Countdown To Chop in_10_Days Total_50_Days Flowering :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phil J

12. Looks like blue dream to me! A buddy of mine did 6 of them here in Nor-Cal too, and they look identical. His are 15 ft tall though, but the leaves, bud, and node spacing all looks the same. Nice work. Be careful, that stuff with put you on your ass if cured right. I'd harvest with about 40% brown pistils.

13. Kamusta

14. you bring that thing indoors for the last couple days? I wouldn't want anything out in that storm!

15. Thanks for the good words - weekly update as I contemplate chopping!
    :rolleyes:
    Worst part of the rain was Tuesday early am from 5-11am. I put up a folding canopy structure thats 7 feet tall, actually bbq'ed hot wings at noon underneath the thing. Smoked a couple bowls with the wife and sat listening to the rain hitting the canopy cover. Kept the plant dry and my short haired mastiff actually came outside in the rain which he hardly ever does, and he just laid down and kicked it for awhile. Plant drained great after that, what I call "Mother Nature Flushing the Pacific Coast". We got around 3 inches in 12 hours from the storm where we are located, so I haven't had to water the plant since. Rain stopped on Tuesday evening so I pulled the canopy cover. Wed temp 72, Thursday temp 76, Friday temp almost 80.

I almost chopped her down Friday but still a few pistils need to shrivel up, then I will have 65%+ orange hairs with better than 90% cloudy trichomes.
    I took a couple lower side branches Friday nite that the wind whipped earlier this week that were a bit stressed and already orange hairs. Hung those up in the closet in bedroom and should have a sample Wed/Th. The bulk will go straight from drying to curing for 4 weeks. I'm just going to keep it stashed til Thanksgiving and share with family. Going to estimate 25-30 grams dried usable material after stems pulled and trimmed. Considering a gift of 1/4 to my brother in law who has had 2 hip replacements.

:D
    Patriofarmer - you nailed it. This wasn't planned, it was just an afternoon smoking out in the yard, had a bagseed, reached over and poked it in. Never expected it to germinate but it did. Actually helped to stunt it's growth since I put it right there in the middle of 5 established root systems in that pot. Didn't fertilize until I joined this site around 11 week, plant was only 24" tall and so I decided, "I am going to give this plant nutrients and we shall see". Then I started to do some pinching and broke the main stem, 2 small lower branches just forming, and a week later SNAP the very top so NO TOP COLA. I then said F-it I will start using these hooks on the end of the branches to pull them down and keep it short cause 4 of 5 houses framing my backyard are 2 story and can see half of my yard at all times. Turned out sweet.

5150 - do black labs shed like yellow labs? My full blood english lab sheds so much, I spent time yesterday picking out hairs that stuck to the buds during the last 7 weeks forming. Don't want to smoke too much labrador like Cheech n Chong! :D If yer dog sheds yer problem is like 1,000X worse!

Here is what she looked like yesterday at 7:30am a bit dark n cloudy so I used the flash which tinted the trichome crystallization giving too much contrast with the green background. It's really not that white with crystals in normal lighting which you can see in the other pics - enjoy.
    :wave:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. VERY nice bru

17. Yes Yellow labs shed way moe than black labs. The black lab will shed but nothing like an yellow lab.

18. :smoke: enjoy the smoke my friend