qwiso w/ grinder metal flakes

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by jamesclancaster, Sep 6, 2009.

1. so i put my 4 piece metal grinder in 95% ethyl alcohol, got rid of all the stuff on it and now my alcohol is almost done evaporating. however, when i shine a light into the liquid, there are some little dark dots among weed bits which sparkle silvery. are those metal flakes? is it ok if i collect those into the kwiso that results?

edit: i live in hong kong so its hard to get good weed accessories, but where i bought it the store owner said it was a space case. it says budleaf.co.uk on the top and it cost me about 45 bucks us. its 2 inches diameter

2. well thats not a space case.. And you don't want any metal flakes in your hash.

3. If you will smoke it out of a bong or any other water pipe, you should be okay. I wouldn't smoke it through a pipe or chillum though...

4. read guys post above and you should be good...
    What makes a grinder good, "spacecase" is it last, and does not flake, i find it hard to believe that you have a space case...
    I would be carefull, smoke from metal is in no way good and can be harmful.
    Smoke only using a water pipe, something to clean the smoke!

5. pics would help but yeah it sounds like you should be good if the smoke goes through a chamber of water

6. 100% it's not a SpaceCase. He said that it says, "it says budleaf.co.uk on the top". The second reason is that he has metal flakes. SpaceCase's along with Cosmics are the only two grinders that will not leave this kind of residue and flaking.

7. Sharpestones...:rolleyes:

8. I can post up countless threads of SharpStone owners complaining about metal flakes in their bud.

9. i have never had metal flakes in my spacecase but i have had a tooth come off.

10. My killer grinder i odered of edit as never shreded any metal flakes or teeth broken. Had it for 8 months now.

When the liquid completly drys and try and pick out the metal with a tooth pick or something pointy.
    if not i think you will be ok. Unless there is alot.

11. Damn ive owned 3 sharpestones and a spacecase.

Never had problems with all three sharpestones. liked em better than the spacecase.

12. Cosign I had a $90 spacecase and my $40 sharpstone is honestly better...

13. Better how?

14. from what i have read, most of the people complaijing of metal flakes in their bud form sharpstones had jsut purchased the grinder. the metal flakes were leftover form machining, it seems sharpstone used to not take the best of care in cleanign their product before shipping.

the best way to avoid this problem is to iso the gridner before the first use, to get rid of any stray flakes from the machining.

sharpstone makes a high quality grinder, i would say better bang for your buck than spacecase.

15. In the sense that the spacecase was no better at all and it cost me $50 more which I could have spent on weed to put in my sharpstone lol.

16. no better? please.

the kief catcher is much better and the quality of the aluminum is higher.
    ever hear of a space case owner complain that one of the grinding teeth came off? 100% NO.

17. #17 PolyhymnianMuse, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2009

I think its a combination of this, and a newer design. The reviews I've read of the problems with shavings in a sharpstone are mostly dated around '06-'08. I have yet to read a more recent review complaining of this problem. I don't have either of these grinders so I can't speak from experience but I've searched everything I could think of about grinders so I just know what people have to say about them...

Of course space case is top of the line and for $100~ (for the size I would want), they better be damn good. If you have the extra money and dont care I would go space case most likely, but in my eyes your paying double or more for small improvements over other grinders like the sharpstone, mendo mulcher, or chromium crusher... and the fact that they market the space case as the first and best grinder, seems to me your paying a lot for the name. I mean really, how much is aluminum these days that space cases need to be in the $100 price range?

18. How much room is really in the middle storage compartment of a crusher? I've heard people having issues with it not being very deep.

19. i've had an SSV powder coated grinder for almost 2 years, i've never had any sort of flakes in my bud.

20. i would say that spacecase is the hyped up one. sharpstone produces a qualoty product at a decent price point. their 4 pice functions very well, the keif screen is adequate for my needs, if i want to produce high quality keif i will get a wikka box.

i have heard great things about the chromium crusher as well.

as for the op's actual question, OP, if you think the particle in your hash is a metal flake, then try to remove that portion of your product.