Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Using vinegar to lower PH in water.

• Please log in to reply

dabomb

dabomb

Smoker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 144 posts
Would any harm come to my plants for using vinegar or lemon juice to lower the PH of my water? The local tap water is about 7.4. I suspect that trying to use lemon juice would be prohibitively expensive.

kerenski

kerenski

It's Alive!

• Registered Upgraded
  • 853 posts
i wouldn't recommend either... they do lower the pH... but only for a few hours, then it's back up... i'd stick with plain ol' pH-down... :D

ImTheJoker4u2

ImTheJoker4u2

ForUnlawfulCarnalKnowlege

• Gold Member
  • 11,706 posts

dabomb

dabomb

Smoker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 144 posts

baking soda will lower it.
Tested water - 5.5
Added baking soda - 2.0:eek:

That is a big jump. But baking soda is basic, not acidic. That's why it makes the volcano action, w/ vinegar, that most of us know as kids.

Edited by dabomb, 29 August 2009 - 04:27 AM.

dabomb

dabomb

Smoker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 144 posts

i wouldn't recommend either... they do lower the pH... but only for a few hours, then it's back up... i'd stick with plain ol' pH-down... :D

I was thinking more long term. To regularly lower the PH of the water I use. I ask because vinegar is cheap. My tap water is fairly high PH for this. About 7.4 according to the local water authority.

Ace7644

Ace7644

• Registered Upgraded
  • 434 posts
pff my tap water is like 8.5 or more. good thing im not growin, dont know what id do. but to give some useful info id sugesst goin to a pet store and just getting some pH down for like 4 bucks.

Genetic Freak

Genetic Freak

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

baking soda will lower it.
Tested water - 5.5
Added baking soda - 2.0:eek:

Baking soda is a base, and therefore RAISES the pH.

As for the original post...
Vinegar works fine for soil grows, been using it for years.

dabomb

dabomb

Smoker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 144 posts

Baking soda is a base, and therefore RAISES the pH.

As for the original post...
Vinegar works fine for soil grows, been using it for years.

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users