Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Are THC molecules polar?

• Please log in to reply

popsaregood230

popsaregood230

• Registered Upgraded
  • 373 posts
I'm just wondering. It's known that bong water will hold a tiny amount of THC, so if the THC molecules are polar would they not stick to themselves? Much like the way water is cohesive?

I know it still wouldn't matter all that much, but if this is true... changing your bong water after every hit would conserve the most THC, correct?

makoe

makoe

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
It would be a negligable difference.

And no, they're nonpolar.

ratrickx103

ratrickx103

Genius Smoker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 227 posts
Agreed. It would indeed be negligible difference. Makoe is also correct in that THC molecules are non polar

Bajiggy

Bajiggy

sure.....

• Registered Upgraded
  • 530 posts
thats an interesting question . My guess is they most likely would stick to each other in the bong water, a lot like how they stick together when u make hash. So I guess changing the water after every hit would be the most efficient way. But were really talking bout tiny amounts of thc, its not really gonna make a difference since the amount of thc water takes out is already really small. And to me the fact that the water takes out some thc means its also taking out a lot of other shit that prolly not good for u. O btw do u smoke poppers? like with tobacco ? i was just wondering cuz of your name, we love that shit up in ontario

popsaregood230

popsaregood230

• Registered Upgraded
  • 373 posts

thats an interesting question . My guess is they most likely would stick to each other in the bong water, a lot like how they stick together when u make hash. So I guess changing the water after every hit would be the most efficient way. But were really talking bout tiny amounts of thc, its not really gonna make a difference since the amount of thc water takes out is already really small. And to me the fact that the water takes out some thc means its also taking out a lot of other shit that prolly not good for u. O btw do u smoke poppers? like with tobacco ? i was just wondering cuz of your name, we love that shit up in ontario

lol no, I like popsicles.

I know it doesn't really matter at all, but I'm just a curious person.

Q-MOP

Q-MOP

Proud Stoner

• Registered Upgraded
  • 134 posts
the THC particles do stick together
hence, resin buildup
changing your bong water out every hit would kill about as much high as it saved hahaha

bikeride

bikeride

shmoke a bit

• Registered Upgraded
  • 331 posts

made my day hahaha

Bajiggy

Bajiggy

sure.....

• Registered Upgraded
  • 530 posts

I know it doesn't really matter at all, but I'm just a curious person.

haha true, i didnt think an american would smoke poppers. but popsicles definitelys are good

Jibs

Jibs

say no to reefer

• Registered Upgraded
  • 247 posts

It would be a negligable difference.

And no, they're nonpolar.

Delta-9-thc is polar, but not highly. it is a completely asymmetrical molecule. Simple linear molecules such as carbon dioxide are nonpolar, as there is no uneven distribution of electonegativity at either end of the molecule. This is why thc is fat soluble and not water soluble: lipids are very polar molecules, and compounds will only dissolve in solvents of the same polarity. If thc was nonpolar, it would dissolve in water because water is nonpolar... and we would make thc extracts with water instead of butter.

makoe

makoe

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Delta-9-thc is polar, but not highly. it is a completely asymmetrical molecule. Simple linear molecules such as carbon dioxide are nonpolar, as there is no uneven distribution of electonegativity at either end of the molecule. This is why thc is fat soluble and not water soluble: lipids are very polar molecules, and compounds will only dissolve in solvents of the same polarity. If thc was nonpolar, it would dissolve in water because water is nonpolar... and we would make thc extracts with water instead of butter.

No. water is polar.

Jibs

Jibs

say no to reefer

• Registered Upgraded
  • 247 posts

No. water is polar.

i stand corrected.

nik12937

nik12937

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 331 posts
The only reason that THC gets in bong water is because some of the THC vapor gets cooled enough to change back into a solid while it's going through the water, not because of how polar it may or may not be.

Randy Marsh

Randy Marsh

NOH MY GOD

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,199 posts
This thread is very interesting.

Posted Image

Anyone want some Popsicles?

Guest_Croh420_*

Guest_Croh420_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In
The THC molecule is nonpolar EXCEPT for the lone OH group which is polar. This is why THC has a very low solubility in water. 2.8 g/L or something like that.

TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad

ALL GLORY

• Registered Upgraded
  • 260 posts

This thread is very interesting.

Posted Image

Anyone want some Popsicles?

I totally do.

flow_culture

flow_culture

• Registered Upgraded
  • 105 posts

The THC molecule is nonpolar EXCEPT for the lone OH group which is polar. This is why THC has a very low solubility in water. 2.8 g/L or something like that.

This.

If THC were polar it would mean it'd be fully soluble in water, which would pretty much suck for us that enjoy bongs, bubblers, etc. Though you could also make straight weed tea, that'd be legit. Early Grey Kush, so on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users