Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Ringing in ears?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by CaptainToker, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Alright, I'm not new to toking but I figured this would be the most appropriate place to start this thread.

A few days ago I took an extremely fat bong rip, and almost immediatly afterwards I noticed a high pitched ringing in my ears. Not wanting it to spoil my high after such a deece rip, I disregarded it as nothing but a small side effect. How wrong I was. It escalated to a point where it was causing me physical pain, and I went to sleep soon after. I gave myself a couple of days before smoking again...and this time I started out with a mid sized joint just to pace myself. As soon as I started to feel baked the ringing began. I haven't smoked since, because to be honset it was really traumatic and made for a REALLY bad trip.

Suggestions? Experiences? I'm really at a loss here. I don't swim (so swimmers ear is out of the question), I don't work around loud machinery nor do I have any existing problems with hearing.

Honestly, this is turning smoking bud in to a BAD experience when we all know it should be a good one.

Help a brother out.

2. i've had the same thing happen, except now sometimes it happens even if im not high...for example i could be just standing there and it starts ringing. for me though if i make a noise or talk it makes the ringing go away...NO idea what it is man, if its that bad for you, try seeing a doctor

3. Actually, i woke up a couple of days ago with a tinitus-like sound in my left ear. I wasn't stoned though. And i do listen to a lot of loud music. So i don't think that it's the cannabis. I just think that you might have been exposed to very loud tones.

4. Could be tinnitus, see an ear nose and throat doc it is not serious but it is annoying.

5. #5 CaptainToker, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
    See, here's the thing...and I guess it's pretty important, and I should've included it in my original post...but w/e.

I've never experienced the ringing before that one extremely fat toke I took. And as soon as my high wears off...so does the ringing. I have a hard time beleiving it's anything but the weed. (and I know it isn't straing specific, either...because the two strains I smoked in the doobie and that bong were different).

I realize seeing a doc is probably the safest choice, but I was wondering if anyone has resolved the issue before and it could prevent me from having to make the trip.

6. Its a worldwide occurance it happens to me at least once a month. Google unexplained ringing in the ear. LOL there is even support groups out their.

7. #7 mrnoname, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
    If it's tinnitus then the most the doctor can do is be sympathetic and face the fact that you may never hear silence again.

I don't know what caused your ringing, but I doubt weed is the cause -- I bet it just brought the issue to your attention (since it enhances our hearing). To make sure, stop smoking and go into a dark, quiet room, and listen closely.

This ringing is your body's way of telling you to that hearing damage isn't far behind -- meaning you should watch how loud you listen to your music otherwise the ringing will worsen and eventually lead to real hearing damage.

You can help reduce the ringing by keeping the music at a not too loud level, reducing listening times, cutting back on coffee and caffeine*, exercise more, and wear hearing protection at concerts or any loud environments you are exposed to. Also, some medications can amplify the ringing, but there isn't much one can do about that I guess. And lastly, get your ears professionally cleaned by an audiologist or someone, because a wax build up can also cause ringing.

Oh, one more thing. . . The ringing is largely mental. If you allow your mind to focus on the ringing, then it WILL get noticeably louder. So my bet advice here is to ignore it as best you can.

*easily the easiest way to reduce the ringing

8. I have tinnitus...I hear that ringing sound all the time...its most annoying when I am lying in bed... Silence is deafening!

9. I always have some sort of ringing when I get fucked, but it's not high pitched, and it's not at all annoying unless i'm trying to hear stuff.

10. Alright, thanks for the help guys. Even though I find the prospect slightly sketchy, I'm going to hit up the MD next week. Not going to blaze until I sort out the cause(and possible treatment) of the ringing...maybe that'll do the trick, anyway. And if not, atleast I'll get an extended T-Break. :smoking:

11. The same thing happend to me after taking two super fat gbong hits and the exact thing happened and has still been happening to me for 4 months, and now i hear the ringng when im not high. What did u do to fix it?

12. #12 mrnoname, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
    So you registered a pot forum specifically to get medical advice on your ringing ears from a three year old thread and from a user who hasn't posted in two? Color me confused.

Anyway, doesn't look like the OP is even gonna come around for a while, so here's my advice: Lay off the caffeine (coffee and pop), don't drink, don't smoke tobacco, don't stand next to the speakers at clubs, lower the volume of your speakers at home, don't listen to music 8 hours a day even at moderate volume levels, try eating healthier more natural unrefined foods, and if you can--turn back time to a little before you started noticing the ringing in your ears--because tinnitus is usually permanent until death. Also, Google tinnitus and try to focus on medical sites.

13. It's probably tinnitus, often brought on by long exposure to loud music.

However, there can be other causes. A good friend of mine got tinnitus from gurning too much on unmentionables.

14. Is there any chance you guys just go to a lot of clubs, concerts, etc? I was getting serious sound damage and had to get some ear plugs in order to save my ears and stop the ringing. Otherwise, good luckk....

maybe get a vape?

15. Guys, your ears are constantly ringing. If you don't believe me, put on some noise cancelling headphones and go into a quiet environment. This is because your eardrum is constantly vibrating in response to sound. However, when you get high, your sense of hearing is intensified, so it is only natural for you to hear ringing when you are high

16. Dude noise cancelling headphones output a sonic frequency, to drown out outside noise (while also cancelling out some of your musics frequencies), and so even with no music playing they will be putting out some decibels. Unless you are using headphones that are designed like earplugs to cancel out noise, then yea, that's a better measuring tool for sensing the ringing in your ears. Might as well tell people to put in cheap ear plugs though instead of dropping like a hundred bucks primarily to hear the ringing in your ears. Just saying.

17. dont worry about it, that happens to me, it just means you're super fucked up :D, smoke on bro

18. I get that alot when vaping more than usual, or smoking a bowl after vaping, it is annoying but it is mostly brought on by white noise, my friends fridge causes a constant buzzing which is easily blocked out but when everything is quiet at night and I'm baked it causes a ringing in my ears and the only way to block that out is when it stops buzzing. Anywho find some white noise that causes it.

19. I use to get that when I first started chiefin a lot. I thought that it was so annoying but it eventually stopped happening. Mine wasn't as painful as you made it sound though.

20. Yea it can happen if u r smokin some loud ass shit