Kayak Fishing.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by northernwidow, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Awe dude that reminded me of the time i wss hanging out with my cousins, i was on my boat which was an open top, and they had a closed top race kayak. We stoped up on this little island to take a leak. As we were leaving the island there was a downed tree and we had to dodge a branch. My cousins rolled their boat and it got filled with water. Was so fucking hard to dump that damned thing.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Really wanted to get into kayak fishing but coulnt ever pull the trigger on a kayak

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Used to take my kayak to the lake and throw a few casts every morning one summer. Haven't been out on the water at all in recent years though, should get back to it.

4. Would wanna snag a big one and have you kayak tip over haha

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. I've thought about getting one for exercise and to fish from. Live on a lake and there are a couple coves that I would like to fish in but to many stumps and don't wanna risk taking the johnboat and running over one.

I dont do drugs, I set plants on fire and breathe.

6. Got my fish whacker today.
    Things a beast.  It's a lot bigger
    than I expected.

7. Been thinking about trying to save up for a while and get a nice fishing kayak, I live in the perfect place for one.  I've done it a few times, definitely a great way to enjoy nature and hit some top fishing spots.

8. im actually about to buy a used kayak with the paddle and everything for 300

9. Great post man! When I was 16 I went to stay at my buddy's place on wrightsville beach, nc. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the area but the actual main island is 7 miles long. At the end is a coast guard station, then a massive inlet that serves the various WB channels and the ICW.

On the other side of the inlet is uninhabited masonboro island where you can pull your boat up to and hang out on the island. 200 yards in the direction of the sound (away from ocean) are some flats with tons of grasses and narrow waterways through them.

My buddy and his dad are crazy into fishing and the beach life. His place is 1 mile from the coast guard station on the sound side (banks channel, prime location). They have a 37ft yellowfin and run to wrecks to bottom fish with their verados. Among their arsenal were some badass sea kayaks decked out for fishing.

We bust them out and grab some of their custom light tackle rods. We tell his dad our plans and carry our kayaks down to the small beach below his dock. We slid them into the water, climbed in, and paddle out between the docks into banks channel.

We took a. left and paddled across in front of the entrance to the inlet.
    It was maybe 300 yards across. The inlet itself has two rock walls lining it a good 1/2 mile out into the ocean before you can really go anywhere. The swells at the ocean part can be a good 6 feet occasionally but where we were was simply some 1/2 foot chop.

A couple boats came by on our journey but saw us for sure and there was no issue. We headed into the flats and caught red fish for awhile. It was great and we lost track of time...7 o clock and we were still there. His dad radios him on the portable one we had and tells him to start heading back now. He seemed angry we had stayed so long.

We start paddling back and soon realize it's getting darker and it's taking awhile. We hadn't anticipated the return journey to take so long (honestly my buddy can be sorta airheaded as you'll find out soon)

His dad radios back and is pissed as can be. It's dark and were crossing the inlet and technically an hour before sundown all boats including our kayaks needed lights on. Not to mention crossing wrightsvilles inlet with sportfishers and hatteras yachts weaving between us, and the light was waning even more.

We finally reach the coast guard station - were a little more safe and don't have the inlet to worry about! LOOK! It's Tate my neighbor! My buddy hails down this man and his young son idling past on our left in their ~30ft cc.

"Can you give us a tow?? My dad's mad were real late" my friend begs the guy. He is game for it so he tosses us a rope tied to a cleat on his boat. We put our kayaks next to each other and grab the rope as they start taking off.

Immediately his kayak turns sideways and he hangs onto the rope. The force is too much and his kayak flips hard, sending him underwater. I have let go of the rope already and reach down to right his kayak. He swims up...we quickly realize...

his custom rod is gone. It and the tackle box sunk when he capsized. Right on schedule, another boat pulls around into our shenanigan. Another neighbor, on his 26 trophy, with my friends dad on board FUMING!!!!

Apparently it was dark and his dad was mad as hell we took so long and were in a bad position that he couldn't take his boat down from the lift for some reason so he commissioned his neighbor to take him to find us...in that state of misfortune.

Needless to say his dad was PISSED and it was awkward cause I was that friend there and also I heated up some ravioli in the microwave and didn't put a paper towel over it and red shit exploded all over the inside while his dad was chewing his ass out....

I didn't even clean it up lol. His dad sent him to stew in his juices so we went upstairs. We had plans to sneak out that night and meet these girls and j obviously had had enough adventure for my fill.

But my buddy nutted up and snuck out anyway in the face of such heat, and got his nut with this girl. Had to ride his bike like 5 miles haha

Good times. Also my dad and I used to go striper fishing every Saturday after thanksgiving out of Oregon inlet in cape hatteras by diamond shoals. It was phenomenal and we had some 30-40 pounders and there were some records there from later in the season when they trolled more.

Then the stripers took too long to come down south to us so we had to stop :( the captain we were good friends with now catches them at Rudy inlet in VA. Stripers haven't come down to NC like that in a while now.

Tl;dr stay in your kayak

how do I change my signature

10. Awesome story

11. Got my Fish Grip just a few minutes ago.
    Now all I'm waiting for is my 303 Aerospace
    Protectant.
    Found out that WD-40 doesn't actually
    contain fish oil, and is just a petroleum
    product.

12. Getting my fish finder this month.

13. #33 Blix, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
    Got my 303 Protectant yesterday.
    Getting my fish finder next Friday.

I'll spray down the yaks when
    the weather gets better.

Edit: Misspelled a word

14. Got my Fish Finder today.
    Cost $500.

15. Is that aerospace protectant by Boeing? My buddy's dad was really smart and I remember him using that stuff. Is your fish finder specific to kayaks or is it a general boat one? That's really cool man. There's a lake around here and I've been dying to rent a kayak, grab some rods, smoke countless doobies and paddle around all day fishing.

16. What is fish grip?

http://www.thefishgrip.net/

It's basically a plastic vice grip looking thing
    that you can hold fish by the jaw with.

18. Lots happened this week.  I had buyers remorse about the Fish Finder.
    I really couldn't justify $500 for a Fish Finder, when I could probably
    get it next year for lots less. I took it back and got a new kayak instead. 
    I wanted my brother to have the other one.  It'll be good to have  him along
    on some of my fishing trips this summer.

The new yak I bought is the Ascend FS12T from Bass Pro Shop.  Looking
    forward to taking it out this week.  No fishing, just a shakedown cruise.

19. Got my hat

20. Love to fish but haven't picked up a boat of any kind yet. I would love to own a fishing kayak.

It's getting time for fishing season to throw into full effect. Once school is out me and a couple buddies and going to Michigan for a week! Might have to bring a kayak this year!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app