Kayak Fishing.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by northernwidow, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Anybody here a kayak fisherman? I have always fished, and do alot of kayaking, and early this summer I was fishing on the boat and the tide was keeping us from getting to our best fluking spot. Which lead me to rigging up my kayak for fishing.

I just fashioned a rig out of a milkcrate, Two PVC rod holders, a plano flat tackle box, and a cooler. Work and weather has only allowed me to take it out once, but I was successful trolling kingfish in some pretty heavy conditions. I'll wake up in a few hours and do some striper fishing (it's not really peak season, but apparently the surf is still hot with them early and late in the day.) Fortunately, instead of casting from land trying to hit the third wave, i can just paddle out and drop my line.

I find the whole idea of fishing from a kayak exciting. Of course boat fishing is always an awesome experience and allows for great comfort and fishing, but with marine fuel prices, and the lure of hooking something that could take you for quite a ride, I'm pretty sure the yak will become my vessel of choice.

2. HIGH All, well I don't Fish from a Kayak but do lots of Salmon Fishing out of my Canoe northernwidow...I have tons of Fishing Threads and some out of the Canoe catching Tyee's (30+ Spring Salmon)....lots of Fun fishing from a small vessel.....love to try out a Kayak for sure.

3. Sounds awesome as well. I actually haven't fished freshwater for years. I'm considering picking up a fly pole and maybe that will get me out of the salt.

Check out blue water john on youtube. He has videos of deep sea kayak fishing for mahi, tuna, marlin etc... of course followed by a boat, but it looks like the most intense incredible experiecnce.

I hooked a 29 inch striper from the yak the other day. Hooked it on fresh clam, fought for quite a while, trying to figure out how to get any kind of leverage. Finally I landed it safely and it was amazing. The adrenaline really kicked in.

4. Bringing back an old ass thread.

I'm planning on doing this next spring and summer.  I'm
    gonna get everything I need for it over the fall and winter.
    I've paddled a Kayak for exactly one day and never fished
    from one.  So this will be a pretty new experience.

5. Went out paddling in a rented Yak today.
    Just wanted to see how it was after all
    these years.  It was nice.  I got really
    wet.

Looking forward to getting my own.

6. I personally prefer open tops. Ive never brought mine in salt water, but its something i plan on trying this summer. Not out in the ocean yet though. Just thebback bay

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. #9 Blix, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
    Should be getting my kayak tonight, hopefully.

I decided on a sit on top because I'm afraid of
    it being swamped while coming in in rough weather.
    You can't swamp a sit on top.

Hopefully, I never hit rough weather though.

Edit:  Yeah, I plan on starting out on lakes
    a couple of times before I go out on the back
    river.

Eventually, I'll be fishing the bay.

8. Out Of Stock. :(

They've got them on order and
    will give me a call when they come in.

9. I'll be spraying it down with WD-40 tomorrow. 
    Protects it from UV until I can get a tarp to cover it.

I'm not going out until we get the trunk fixed.
    Broken latch.  :(

Anyway, I should be going out next week sometime.

10. Looks like next weekend is going to be sunny and pleasant. :D

11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iKQL6PuzVQ

Where I heard it.  Basically the same idea.

12. I wish I could afford a Hobie, especially one with a pedal drive.
    That would be awesome.

13. #18 Johnny Blazed, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
    i go out on river every now and then with my mom since she got a new one i just use her old one def more fun with some poles

No comparison. Pricey, but worth it. 

I can do the same distance in about 1/3 the time. Use my legs, instead the arms/shoulders = much longer days on the water with less pain. Fairly hands free trolling w/ the rudder. I've even attached a down rigger and a depth/fish finder for the deeper, motor-less reservoirs.

Easily one of my best purchases. 

15. Should be going out tomorrow.

Fishing the HRBT if everything
    goes according to plan.