Lets Build a Clone Machine *Step by Step*

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Rumpleforeskin, Aug 13, 2009.

1. 100% success!! Potted up seven healthy rooted clones...amazed at how much water is used up in the process, towards the end, I had to fill up the bucket daily!

2. Glad it worked. But the water use concerns me. Mine uses very little.

3. I noticed as the cuttings started to root, it used up more water, no leaks, the only thing I can attribute it too was increased transpiration through the leaves?? Anyway, it worked, and it just needed a bit more attention...all good!

4. Building a clone machine is going to be one of my next projects

5. Thank you for the awesome guide!! I did exactly what you did only I'm using a 4" airstone instead of the mist nozzles. I also was able to get 9 2" net pots to fit evenly, wont use all of them, but the option is nice. Just waiting on my airline to show up in the mailbox then it's clone time!

6. How can I keep my 2 gal clones cool the water is very warm

Sent from my ADR3010 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Is there a minimum GPH that you need?  I'm assuming the more the better/faster they will root.

8. Do you leave the mister on 24 hours a day or do you break it up a bit?

9. Thank you thank you thank you.
    Been messing with old school method..RW block, gels, etc.

Built sprayer just like you said, all pipe cut lengths are perfect.
    Man this thing rocks. Clones do not wilt first few days like the old way. Success rate is 100%.
    Changed my thinking about plant water absorption, thought with no roots would need to come through the leaves ...wrong.
    Thanks again!

10. Thank you, best of luck with your grow.

11. I don't know if it has been covered or asked, but I will ask anyways. 

I built the cloner pretty much exact. Now I ordered the spray heads off of Ebay so I doubt they are the EZ clone ones, but some kind of bootleg. When I first built it all the nozzles worked great, now I checked it out today, and they aren't misting anymore. They are more like shooting water or flowing water. Has anyone had this happen to them or does anyone have any ideas?

12. #1155 doctorMJ, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
    I have had great success with this cloning method, including this recent experience -

Recently, I had two clones of GDP that were the last ones left in the cloner after the other three strains had rooted. I gave them about a month total and they still had not rooted. Their stalks (exposed to the spray/mist) looked wilted and mushy, but there was still green in some of the leaves up top. So I pulled them further down into the foam collars, exposing more stalk to the spray, and fired the cloner back up. After a total of six weeks, there are now roots from both of these "almost-gave-up-on-them" clones. I should also note that I had a very weak solution of distilled water and 1 ml per gallon each of GH Grow, Micro, and Bloom (that I never even changed out).

Moral of the story - If you have a strain you don't want to lose and they don't seem to root fast enough, don't give up on them (or this cloner).

13. Rumple...When we finally get Cannabis legalized and mainstream, I want to see you on HGTV with "This Old Plant"..when I have a question on a gadget, your how-to's are my first stop. Simplicity is the mark of genius. Awesome job on your threads man!

14. Hey thanks alot for this post i bet it will great for me ! FOR THE INDUSTERY :metal:

15. Got bored waiting for my seeds to arrive so I made one of these buckets... Looks great and I think it will be very successful. I would say you don't need to use the same number of sprayers as OP... I am only using 4 and got great mist coverage. All parts purchased for <$50. I was able to fit 9 net pots in the lid and decided to use one of them as the plug exit.

Attached Files:

16. AWESOME!! I will build one. thats cool. I only have one thing to pick on...lol. I'm a plumber. you do not use teflon tape on plastic (PVC) if your not careful when threading it it will damage the threads muc h easier than if you were dealing with copper foe instance.  jusy my 2 cents. love it though  Can you build a much smaller version?

17. I don't see why you couldn't do one with 2 sprayers... Your pump is what determines the minimum size, my 300+ gph pump with 1/2" PVC output and sprayer assembly is about 6" high, not sure what the minimum distance from sprayer your pots can be though. 3gal bucket seems to give a nice spread at net pot level in my set up.