Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to test THC levels. (POTENCY)

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Nirvana High, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Exactly. Plus rep for you good Sir.

• Winner Winner x 1

2. Seriously! He could have at least passed it to me for a hit or two! ;)

3. note i did mention its the gettho wayy of doing it.

4. Can someone tell me if Im crazy pills or something. Im really interested in this subject, but IDK anything factual about it.

5. No matter how good the bud and how skilled the maker, no hash or hash oil is ever 100% cannabinoids. That's been said already in other posts.

6. I know >.> I said even if it wasnt possible, I was just using it as an example. ;)

7. wts numbers got to do with gettin high?....its either a good high or a bad high....and i guess we can fairly well explain and understand the different kind of highs....so fuck the numbers....leave that to science....and do best what you are doing at....roll the shit

and anyways what good are numbers if i never get a good kick inspite of knowing that i jus smoked 22% (thc)???

8. If your in Southern California check out CannaChemsitry.com. They have a gas chromatography machine with an FID detector, which is the best measure of potency. Best part is they got me my results back in 2 days!

9. easy mayne, u just gotta count the crystals.
    and divide by 100.

10. I was wondering about this to, like how do they say bud is 18% thc or stuff like that.

11. #51 MikeOxhuge420, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
    I only joined this to voice my knowledge on the subject but no one has even came close to an idea of how to accurately measure the level of THC in any given plant & I do mean plant.

1. Grow one full grown female under ideal conditions

2. Cry, your will loose your entire plant

Completely cure your plant (keep all trimmings and everything from the plant). Whatever you have to do to shred the entire plant and trimmings to proceed to the next part, do it. Scrape every last tool used in the process from start to finish to have the most accurate estimate. Weigh this amount.

Prepare a butane extraction method of hash oil. If your not familiar, its not hard to become. This can also be substituted with fatty acids or esters of fatty acids to avoid any concern for toxins although butane's boiling point is 31 degrees F & thus will evaporate from your 70-80% pure hash oil . . . The remaining being such things as chlorophyll (thus the color)

Follow the hash oil butane method by a 99% Iso Alcohol evaporation method to have a nearly 100% pure hash oil (99.xx%). Easiest is to take the oil & alcohol combination in a small plastic vial & allow to naturally evaporate over the next couple of days.

You now can weigh your nearly PURE THC oil (no added weight; any added solvent is evaporated).

Do your elementary math & you have a nearly exact percentage of your plant's THC level by the 1/10th of a percentage.

**On a side note as I have not found this on any other forums**
    Hash oil, when only refined once (stopping @ butane method) is often referred to now days in Cali as Amber Glass.
    Hash oil, when refined as above & whipped up it is being referred to now as Ear Wax.
    Bubble Hash, or hash made from the use of extreme micron screens like Bubble bags, are now being referred to as Full Melt. Full melt refers to the top bags (or the most pure hash)

Don't be fooled when shopping @ your legal medical marijuana dispensary. Marijuana hasn't changed in the centuries of its existence just because we have recently been able to mimic the most perfect, ideal conditions for every single stage of photosynthesis in Cannabis. Inform them that you aren't going to pay $80 for a gram of "ear wax", just because they've re-marketed it as everyone tries to do, when you can make your own from your trimmings for FREE!!

Grow & pass on the knowledge ~

:smoke:

12. sorry. this seems to have been missed so i quoted it. I can't believe it took til page for someone to mention gas chromatography or liquid chromatography. Thought this was common knowledge with Cali being the way it is now. There's also at least one comparable lab in Canada, IIRC. :hello:

13. Once it's legal, this will be no problem. Actually it may be a requirement, like putting the "proof" on liquor. It will be interesting to see actual content numbers, and not some random, bullshit number some collective hippie pulled out of his ass.

14. Yup.

Anybody wanting to do a proper, no bullshit certification process, would have to test a mean sample, from every single crop. Add in multiple strain grows, and things start to get pricey pretty quick.

I have no idea how lab prep would go for GCMS testing cannabis. Perhaps they could combine their mean sample (say, at least a 1/4z of bud from each strain/crop) before analysis, which would make the cost more palatable. But as I said, no idea there.

And even though there are plenty of right minded, forward thinking growers out there, there are plenty of thugs too. There would have to be a "we come to you and pick" process, at least for the first few times, to set averages, and again with any major changes or discrepancies.

Anyone interested should look into Steep Hill labs, in CA. Also, the guys at Harborside (who I believe use Steep Hill) run some sort of certification program for their growers, but I'm not sure about how they do it. May want to get in touch with Chubbs through MJreviews or Nuggetry.com and pick his brain on the subject.

15. Anyone in CA who wants a GC/MS test done and doesn't mind spending some money can contact Steep Hill Lab.

Steep Hill Lab: California's Premier Cannabis Testing Facility

They not only test for THC and cannabinoid potency, they test for molds, pesticide residues, and can but don't always test for terpenes and essential oils.

Recently, i've also heard of liquid chromatography being used, but I don't have much info on that other than rumors of higher accuracy.

• Like Like x 1

16. uhmmm no. dealers dont let you do that. all u can do is get experienced at eyeing the bud.

17. Maybe the pissante little wannabe 'dealer's who move small amounts (pound or less) don't, but a lot of the guys I know who deal give samples.

18. aww man... my dealer told me that his new stuff "Frosty dankity chronic" was 500%

:(

19. You should meet cooler people.

20. I guess by seeing how many trichomes it has, or just by smoking it.