Bottled water ph levels!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by coppermike, Aug 7, 2009.

1. yeah my mom usualy comes home with a big case of water bottles lmao.. i just take a few of (poland Spring) water it seems to work perfect...but today she boaught! dasani!!! ewwww!

2. great thread

3. Wrong. Distilled water does NOT have a pH of 7 unless it's very fresh. It dips as low as 5.5, because carbon dioxide in the air dissolves into it, forming carbonic acid and lowering the pH. Distilled != RO/DI

4. wow this helps alot thanks!!

5. Yeah, I really do not know shit. Could you share how you cubed your cross to get it stable. Did you backcross or inbreed to stablized the true gene expressions of the cross? Did you use P1 genetics or F1, F2? I really do not know shit about testing PH and breeding, so please, enlighten me.

less

6. This is not really useful at all. There no way this can right. there are way to many variables. This just a little question. How can you say ..
    ... you by your own admission don't have a simple $4.95 test kit?
    Do you really believe that it's not just hype to get you to buy there stuff. Wow who's drinking the "kool aid " here.

7. Well if you actualy read some of these comments you will come across me saying that i got this info from a health foods website. they focus on stuff like this.ther the ones who have the fancy ph test kits. btw yeah i can afford it but this is my very first plant im growing here. so im trying to save as much as i can. im not a big timer like you for its big harvest. im also studing its growth at the same time and i no people use bottled water if i do..its just common..some people would like to no the ph level in it..dude i dont see how this is not helpfull?

8. It's misleading.That's all. Don't you think that if your going to be successful at this you should be testing your own water? Do I really have to go into why?

9. correctme if im wrong but shouldnt a website dedicated to right foods know what ther dooing? so what i dont test my own water didnt i just tell you its my first plant i dont care about testing the water..

10. Then there is a good chance you will run into PH problems. Every strain reacts differently to salinity and lockout can occur quite easily if the PH is not in a decent range for the plants to properly use the nutrients. Chances are, once it begins, you will mis read the problem as nutrient def and add more causing salinity problems. PH is one of the more vital parts of properly growing a plant to it's full potential.

less

11. Yes it's true that disolved co2 will mess with the PH, but unless you just have open containers of water sitting around, its not going to be a factor. I was doing a soil grow at a friends house i was staying at for a while and didn't have any of my equipment so I used distilled water from the grocery store. It was always right around 7.0 (6.9-7.1) and the +.1 was probably just from cross contamination or something in the container i used to mix the nutes in.

Also, co2 doesn't just readily disolve in water as easily as you make it sound. That is why they make co2 diffusers to "inject" the co2 into the water for fish tanks. (sort of like an air pump and airstone) that we would use for hydro.

and finally, most people using an RO filter are not going to have to worry about it because they will take the water directly from the pump to the plants, leaving no time for any co2 to dissolve in it. Even if it goes into a storage tank...as long as the tank isn't open to the air, then it won't be an issue.

12. your absolutly correct.. and i never doubted that but like i sed im not in it for a crazy harvest im just in it for its beauty.. the ph level of bottled water is correct tho

13. I don't know. Based on all of what I have read, the only way to really know the pH of any given solution is to test it with a well-maintained calibrated pH testing device, the best of which are electronic. The fact that you can buy some strips of paper for a couple of bucks or a laboratory pH monitor which both in essence do the same thing should tell you that it's not quite as simple as looking up a list from health foods website. With every testing device there are drawbacks and considerations.

Just because you believe that they would have been "sued" for posting false information does not make the information correct. Remember what you already know about the internet. Consider what the above commenters have said about the long-term reliability of someone else's "lab work." Always check for yourself.

14. well like i said im not "in it to win it" i just thought this would be cool for people to no of what i stumbled upon..

Whats with the negativity?

15. Sorry mike, I really don't mean to be negative toward you personally. That said, this is a site for information and community and one function of the community is to help to verify the information posted herein. So if some of us see something and we feel it is incorrect or may mislead others who are looking for valid info, we point it out. I completely understand your desire to have a "cheat sheet" of water pH to make it easy to choose bottled water or whatever, but I felt I could help you and everyone else out by letting you know that your cheat sheet information might not be correct. And it might be spot on; just my $0.02.

For what it's worth, I think you should stick to whatever you are doing and rub it all in our faces when you have no problems. And above all else enjoy growing!

16. i guess you can call it a cheat sheet, i like that lol. but i gues it makes much more sense to just buy a ph system..but im prty ghetto man i got to tell yah... so im still probably not going to get one or maybe i will.. ill look for more info and see if simular sites have the same results.. but i understand where your coming from. i still say this is very helpfull and more results will confirm this.

17. If you don't get a pH tester of some sort, you're going to have a hard time getting help for nutrient issues, because one of the questions that we'll always ask is what your pH is. Definitely get something even if it's drops.