Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical Marijuana & Diabetes

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by macmage, Aug 5, 2009.

1. I live in MD so needless to say I can't get medical marijuana, however I have found marijuana very helpful to me as a diabetic. I have had type 1 diabetes for 29 years. I have peripheral neuropahty - burning pain in my feet and legs - I also suffer with neasea when I wake up and at dinner time. I have found pot very very helpful for these symptoms. Are there any other diabetics out there that have also found pot helpful.

macmage

2. Me, for one! You might be interested in these studies and articles-

Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Reduces Incidence Of Diabetes, Study Says
    Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Reduces Incidence Of Diabetes, Study Says - NORML

Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy
    Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy

Anticoagulant Effects of a Cannabis Extract in an Obese Rat Model
    Anticoagulant effects of a Cannabis extract in an obese rat model.

Neuroprotective and Blood-Retinal Barrier-Preserving Effects of Cannabidiol
    Neuroprotective and Blood-Retinal Barrier-Preserving Effects of Cannabidiol in Experimental Diabetes -- El-Remessy et al. 168 (1): 235 -- American Journal of Pathology

The Cannabinergic System as a Target for Anti-inflammatory Therapies
    http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/ctmc/2006/00000006/00000013/art00008

Effect of tetrahydrocurcumin on blood glucose, plasma insulin and hepatic key enzymes
    Unbound MEDLINE | Effect of tetrahydrocurcumin on blood glucose, plasma insulin and hepatic key enzymes in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Journal article

Cannabidiol reduces the development of diabetes in an animal study
    IACM-Bulletin

Getting Eye On Cannabinoids
    Getting Eye On Cannabinoids: The Hempire - [cannabis, britain]

Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics
    Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics: The Hempire - [cannabis, hemp]

The synthetic cannabinoid HU-210 attenuates neural damage in diabetic mice
    Diabetes | Evolutionism | Dr. Bob Melamede

Cannabidiol arrests onset of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice
    CSA: Cannabis Research - Diabetes

Cannabidiol attenuates high glucose-induced endothelial cell inflammatory response and barrier disruption
    Cannabidiol attenuates high glucose-induced endothelial cell inflammatory response and barrier disruption

Biological effects of THC and a lipophilic cannabis extract on normal and insulin resistant 3T3-L1 adipocytes
    Unbound MEDLINE | Biological effects of THC and a lipophilic cannabis extract on normal and insulin resistant 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Journal article

Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract on diabetes induced neuropathy and oxidative stress.
    Unbound MEDLINE | Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract treatment on diabetes-induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. Journal article

Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract treatment on diabetes-induced neuropathy and oxidative stress.
    Unbound MEDLINE | Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract treatment on diabetes-induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. Journal article

Happy reading!

Granny

3. Wow - thanks for sourcing all these articles. I can't wait to read them. I was diagnosed a type 1 diabetic at age 19 and did not start taking good care of myself until age 30. What is interesting is that age 30 is also when I "had" to quit token. I was a heavy stoner til then. Other then the pain in my legs I am in really good health - but I think that may be changing:mad:

Every year my eye doctor is surprised at how good my eyes are - guess all that pot paid off :hello:

I have been trying to convince my wife that medical marijuana is important to me, the kids and her attitude along with the federal governments attitude has made that an up hill battle.

I would love to hear from other diabetics and their stories.

macmage

4. Keep on toking, Mac! The cannabis slows the growth of excess, leaky blood vessels in the eyes (does the same for tumors, slowing their growth).

Do you have access to "ditch weed"- feral hemp? It often contains a much higher amount of CBD than "smoking" cannabis, and as you have read, CBD is good for diabetics. Some seed sellers are now selling fiber or seed hemp because of the higher CBD levels.

Granny :wave:

5. I was diagnosed in December of 2006. I am 26 years old now. I was also diagnosed with Nonproliferative Diabetic Retinopathy 1 year ago. So far though the thickness of my retinas look good and the only thing I can attribute to that being possible after I went undiagnosed with diabetes for 4+ years is all the dank that I have smoked. I still smoke and right after I was diagnosed I did quite a bit of research to see what effects weed had on diabetics and so far everything I can see is positive. Too bad my state doesn't have legal medicinal buds...

6. Have you also been tested for celiac disease, which is strongly associated with Type 1 diabetes?
    Pot is good, wheat is evil.:devious: Wheat causes more deaths than pot. Which sounds absolutely silly, but in the case of the one in 130 people in the US with celiac disease, many of which will die from complications from eating wheat (and the fact that pot never killed anybody), is also absolutely true. And I don't see those dangerious wheat fields being destroyed by DEA agents.:mad:
    Celiac Disease - All About Diabetes - American Diabetes Association
    A gluten free diet can reduce future complications. Since this is off topic, if you need more links let me know.

7. Here in Southern California, type 1 diabetic, insulin dependent for sure. Got my med card about a month after my diagnosis, has helped a great deal, i now take very little insulin and dont take my anxiety meds. HAPPY TOKING!!:wave:

8. ive had diabetes for 3 years now...not only does pot cure my morning sickness, it helps eliminate hyperglycemia symptoms and allows me to focus more on what im doing(school, work, etc.) since im not thinking about how much i feel like shit.
    also, ive been off insulin for days at a time and on absolute MINIMAL insulin(like 1 unit a day) for a week or so, just smoking pot. and yeah, regs, shwag, or ditch weed is usually more helpful for me than dank so i get that when i can.
    all you have to do isjustmake sure that you dont go too crazy with munchies and forget to take insulin.
    -sam

9. Been Type I for almost 31 years now (insulin pump for the last 10 or so years.) I mostly see benefit for my Crohn's disease, but the diabetes is not affected by it at all. Bloodsugars are stable, and if anything it seems to lower them slightly. (I test religiously and almost always see a slight drop in my readings pre and post tokage.) Ironically, I have celiac too, as someone mentioned above.

10. #10 jollyrancher1, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2009
    Type II here with a big family history of it.

I had to go "cold turkey" as my blood sugar #'s went wacky, and this seems to happen after I consume a lot for a long time.

From 12 pm to about 2 am (lots of time and lots of product) for weeks on end.

Problem is that my #'s get harder to stabilize when I quit, but I know if I don't take a break I am gonna end up in the emergency room with a needle in me.

Plus I might end up having to give myself shots.

Diagnosed 14 years ago and been smoking pot for over 40.

Just today my #'s ranged from 325 to 80 (normal for me is 135).

I blame the 325 spike on the grape jam I had on my toast.

I can't wait till they get the stem cell act together and I can get an injection and grow a new pancreas (I hope).

11. I can't wait til people stop becoming ignorant (not saying you are haha) and realize that stem cells can be taken from things other than fetus'.

But yes I agree man, it will be a glorious day when our shitty disease is curable. Don't complain too much in the mean time man, us Type 1s quite honestly have it a hell of a lot harder on a day to day basis haha

I was diagnosed with type one diabetes on September 21st, 2000 at the age of 11... Always had pretty good control over my sugars. and about 4 1/2 years ago I started smokin pot... It wasn't until then that I realized how much more in control my sugars could be. Weed truly is a wonderful medicine.

To give a more measurable description: I have been using an insulin pump for quite a while now, which is noce cuz mine is fancy and makes graphs, and documents shit, and gives averages, totals... all that shit... well anyways, I've noticed that on days that I'm not smoking small amounts consistently throughout the day, I use about 15-25 units less. Bringing my average daily insulin intake from about 60 down to 45-35... healthier for a diabetic, and cheaper too haha

Thank you Cannabis! haha :smoke:

12. i find it helps alleviate the shitty symptoms of hyperglycemia, as well as helps me eat when i do not feel like eating...

ive had a 6.0-6.3 a1c for 3.5 years now, have always been in control (been type 1 for 10 years now)... so hopefully i will not get any adverse effects..

but i definitely think it helps me stay in control, tahts for sure. unless i dont bolus for munchies :rolleyes::p

13. 22 yrs. old, Type 1 diabetic for 11 yrs. now.
    I posted a thread much like this one a few months ago, asking if any other diabetics found weed to relieve diabetic symptoms. I'm glad to see the concensus on how helpful it is. No I don't have any other illnesses relating to or caused by my diabetes, but I have found that marijuana does help immensly with regular maintenance.
    Almost a year ago I was living in an apartment with good friends as roomates for 1 year, and smoked almost every day. It was during that time that I found how much it helped keep my levels stable, and kept me from feeling sick during periods of high blood sugar.
    I only wish diabetes will become grounds for a Mediacal Marijuana Growers card here in Oregon soon.
    Happy Toking.

14. I just hope CA leads the breakthrough in stem cell.

There is some real positive stuff in mice and diabetes related research.

I have determined that Israel may be the place to go for the injection if CA doesn't get the feds to approve or I can't qualify for an experimental program.

Problem is my MJ use may disqualify me .

Just hoping it happens in my lifetime.

15. So quick question... A med card can be obtained in Cali JUST for having type 1 diabetes???

I have a lot of other issues like chronic back pain, Scholiosis, knees and ankles that dislocate on a semi daily basis... so I have no shortage of ways to get my card...

Just curious...

Thanks 'gents :smoke:

16. The doc who issued my card needed to see all the prescriptions.

That verified the condition.

17. That verified you were a diabetic, and thus you were able to obtain your med card JUST for diabetes?

Sorry man just tryin to make sure I have this clear.

18. I thought I made that clear.

YES.

The doctor who issued my medical MJ card needed to see my prescriptions (which had to be current) for the drugs I take for the condition (diabetes) which verified to him my claim of being diabetic which qualified me for the card.

He did not order blood work, or request copies of my last medical exam, or order any new ones.

He just wanted to make sure I wasn't making up a medical condition that would qualify me.

When I renew the card, I am required to show that the prescriptions are still active.

The place is a little more "uptight" about patients and they just don't churn the stuff out.

I hope that is clear enough.

19. Thanks man, very much appreciated! This is gonna be much less of a pain in my ass than I thought... Hella stoked :hello::smoke::hello:

20. I just found out that I have pre diabetes. Can marijuana help treat it?