Acetylation of THC?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by spaceman46&2, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Can anyone vouch for whether or not this process actually works?

How to extract and convert your weed's thc into one stronger than nature's. : Marijuana

2. So none of the seasoned tokers know anything about this?

3. to me, it sounds like a complicated way of making hash oil.

I don't know anything about THC-acetate though, hopefully someone else can chime in.

4. #4 Retaardvark, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
    THC Acetate. I'm no scientist, but this sounds like horseshit. How does ever-so-slightly changing(not sure if that even happens)the chemical structure make the THC "Many times more powerful?"

Sounds odd to me. But I'd love to be proven wrong by a more scientifically-inclined fella'.

Edit-I'm almost positive it's bullshit. I have never seen something that claims that by adding a few ingredients, it can convert both CBN and CBD back into THC.

Besides, why not make BHO? It's proven to be safe, potent, and easy. Just don't do it near an ignition source and it works perfectly.

5. Make sure you don't accidentally make meth... That is fuckin complicated... It is however possible for a slight chemical change to make thc more potent such as the livers conversion of delta nine thc to the hydroxy thc which is said to be four to five times more potent... Whether thc is convertable to acetate, whether it is more potent, whether it is nontoxic, and whether this process will create it i cannot answer

6. Sounds something like what Budderking did. Not much but there was a thread on icm detailing the process. Theres much more to it. I dont have the chemistry knowledge so I can't really comment. I can say that you're going to need some good glassware (lab) to do it.

7. Why mess w/ nature?

8. Does anybody have more information on this, a link? Scoured the Google machine. I mean personally, I'd rather just make BHO, just curious.

9. #9 mrroboto23, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
    this is essentially the same procedure that turns morphine into heroin, for those who do not know. And salycilic acid into aspirin, as well. The conversion of THC into THC-Acetate does not increase the potency as much as the morphine/heroin conversion, though. So, it does work, but not as well as is advertised. It is stronger than BHO, though, but it does take a long time to make.

The recipe above also says to use acetic acid, instead of acetic anyhydride, which is probably because it's easy to get vinegar, and harder to get the AA. I'm thinking this recipe is more of a ghetto way to make it.

edit:: looks like i forgot to mention that I have tried it. Used rolled up joint papers dipped in it, which i didn't really like. Wanted to try it on top of weed, but didn't get the chance. It was good, i would recommend trying it if the chance comes around.

10. This guy tried making THC acitate in the same way that you turn a chemical into a salt so this wont work but will (probably) leave you with fairly potent honey oil dissolved in sesame oil. If you follow the process of turning morphine into heroine you get the acetate ester which is apparently stronger then THC but also not quite as easy as this (still not hard)

11. THC-O-acetate is only marginally stronger than Delta-9-THC. It's not worth the effort IMO.

12. Any noticeable difference in effect other then potency?

13. Not really.

Other drugs such as morphine derived from opium become far more potent. That's what heroin is essentially, an acetate of morphine. It has little effect on THC.

14. I had a faint feeling good ol' OSG would drop some knowledge on the subject. Thanks again, very helpful.

P.S. Mwuahahahaha, I was right. :cool:

15. Right. My post was cloudy, this is what I was attempting to say. This is (I assume) because THC is already highly soluble in lipids, unlike morphine.

Also I was trying to say that I had tied *smoking* it, not making it, if there was confusion.

OSG, what do you know of isomerization? Experience?

16. Proper extraction, heating, and handling of cannabinoids will produce a higher volume of the desireable isomers of said cannabinoids. That's how 'budder' is made, and that's how I make my hash oil.

'Isomerization' is really a broad term. THC-A transforms naturally via decarboxylation to the Delta-9-THC isomer. Proper heating can speed and/or complete that process.

It's really a lot to go into though. For a basic recipe for very pure, very potent hash oil see my sticky in 'Harvesting and Processing'.

17. Isn't burning buds from cannabis plants messing with nature?

18. I have, and I make hash oil pretty regularly. But I am speaking of treating the extract with HCl in ethanol and refluxing for a period of time, then extracting with ether. I have heard that this completely (or nearly) converts the cannabidiol to delta-9-thc, and I'd like to try it first before i atttempt acetylation. Just for fun. Do you or anyone else have experience with this?

19. It converts much of the cannabinoids to THC-O-Acetate, which is just moderately stronger than THC. It doesn't completely convert them to the best of my knowledge, and IMO, just speaking for myself, it's not worth the effort.

EDIT: And personally I like a mix of cannabinoids. Pure THC is no fun for me.

20. So is climbing a tree but you know what I mean lol