How to exhaust my 4x4x6'6" grow tent?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by halitzor, Jul 30, 2009.

1. well sounds like you guys solved the problem already but for what its worth i think both the OP and you osho are doing this the hard way. the advantage of grow tents is that you dont need the fancy venting setups that you guys are pouring money into... tents are an air sealed space within an environmentally controlled room. Using simply an exhaust fan pulling through an air cooled hood, and exhausting through a carbon filter you can cool your box quite affectively. passive intakes would give you fresh air exhange while still giving you desirable temps. i use smaller tents than the both of you at the momen, but larger ones are actually easier to maintain because it takes longer for lights to heat up all the air(your sealed space is larger than my sealed space) make sense? not trying to be rude but whats the point of putting an A/C in a room that is already air conditioned? sounds like ineffieciency to me but to each his own i suppose...

2. Buddah, I disagree with you on venting. Everone knows that proper air circulation is essential to a growing environment. A 180 cfm squirrel fan is the furthest thing from fancy, and temp control is extremely important. An 85$ fan is not expensive, but evacuates the air in two to three min tops. Plants absorb co2 and release o2, bur need plenty of fresh air to do so. My room is not air conditioned, and that was the cheapest way to bring cool, fresh air in to my tent. Your working with a smaller space so naturally you do not require equipment to sustain 13 plus plants am I correct? Your one lamp may heat up that space faster, but the larger the space, the harder the environment is to control bcause there is more space for error. Thanks for your thoughts but a bit off base.

3. no man if theres anyone who can talk about tent growing its me. i used to run a 250 2x2 and 2 400 4x4's in the same room but now im running a 2x4 with a 400 watt and 2x2 with a 250 watt in an 8x5 walk in closet. the closet is closed off with a door and theres no vents. and actually i use the same fan you do except one of mine is a 265. CO2 levels are monitored(though not supplemented) and air is exchanged throughout the day as i work in my room. door is left open most of the time except when i leave. o and for plant numbers i was doing 16 though ive scaled down to 12 since i no longer need 16. i just prefer to work in a smaller space than a larger. its more efficient for lighting and for cooling. i wasnt trying to be confrontational i was just saying that you guys(you and halitzor) have a lot of extras in your setup(intakes for example) that dont need to be there. but if it works for you hey thats cool i was just saying that there is a much simpler way and considering its a basement thats supposedly 69 degrees(the op i think) it would work better than what you have now. you criticized a poster before for inaccurate information just thought you should know your setup is not exactly a model for neat, clean, efficient ventilation. but again not trying to start a fight or nothing... i just know tents are popular for growing these days and i dont want others to see your "diagrams" and follow those plans and struggle because of it later... if youd like to talk about the math and the numbers/physics of it all id be happy to explain it to you.

4. Ok man, whatever you say.

Read a few books, ask some mods, ask some old timers, they all gave me that diagram. Heat rises, exhaust from the top, cool air displaces heat faster that heat displaces cold air, so push cool air in from the bottom to help the heat rise. Like on a hot summers day, you won't feel the true heat until arount two o'clock even though the suns peaking at noon.

If you have heat problems, run cool tubes over the lights, or a/c it. If you have never grown in a 6x6 how would you know? Plain and simple, both methods work fine, your just lucky you closet doesn't hold heat it like mine would because of my heavily insulated home. If you want to speak physics, go ahead, but you would be better off starting a thread called why osho is wrong rather than trying to disprove me here in a helpful thread. Good luck with that

5. I can safely say that now, over a year later, I have a handle on ventilation.

I still have that same tent but its just a drying chamber now. I upgraded to a 6.5x6.5x6.5 tent and have done 2 grows in that now.

I have a 1000w cooltube thats cooled with those 2 DC fans I told you about earlier in this thread. They work unbelievable and are still kickin a year later. I run them on a 3.5v power line from a pc power supply.

I have one at the bottom of my tent pushing air straight up into the vertical cooltube, and another between the top of the cooltube and the exit to outside. And a separate carbon filter / 4" exhaust fan combo hooked to a thermostat set to 80.

I also scored a 1/4hp chiller on craigslist that will bring temps down if needed.

Currently upgrading from my tent to a 6'x11' room :D