Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

First Charge - Possession in Ontario. Help/Advice?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Esskay, Jul 27, 2009.

1. I'm sorry but I know nothing about Canadian law... but I think as far as school in the states you may be screwed. They're probably going to send you back man if you can't beat the charge. That being said, any competent lawyer should be able to get you off since they insisted on charging you both even though your buddy confessed. The only chance you have is getting your friend to cop to everything in court.

2. Just thought I'd update with how shit went....

I told my mom and she reacted in the best way possible. It was obvious she was disappointed, but she basically told me that I'm an adult now and she can't tell me what to do anymore. I showed her the documentary the Union which debunked all of the bullshit myths about pot (my mom has never taken a single toke in her life, so I can see if she fully believed everything she was told growing up) and she basically told me she doesn't like me doing it, but she's not going to stand in my way.

Anyway, I got a lawyer and went over the whole story with him. He'll be attending my initial hearing on Friday and any scheduled dates afterward. I'm in the hole just under $2000 but it looks like my charge will be dropped. Either way, I'll be back in the US for school because I'll be crossing the border before I receive a sentencing.

Life is back to about as normal as it could be at this point and I'm just crossing my fingers, hoping everything is dropped because of my background and accomplishments.

3. That's the exact same point I'm at man. My lawyer called me today and is faxing a letter over to the prosecutor to try to get intervention in lieu of conviction for my trafficking charges in Ohio. It's basically probation but without a conviction record. He's explaining to the da that it would devastate my academic career when otherwise I could go on to be highly successful and never return to a life of "crime". He said the fact that I got a 4.0 my last semester could help a lot. I really need to avoid a conviction for law school.

Good luck to you! :wave:

4. Dood that sucks. Idk what to say. Here in Minnesota, it is decriminalized to an extent. Possession or sales of any amount under 42.5 grams the most they can do is a $200 fine and possible drug education.

5. You def want to spend the money on a good lawyer. They know the legal system and can get you off the charges probably. Like someone else said, don't belive what the cops said. There are a ton of loop holes that can help throw your case out. Especially since your friend said it was all his.

Also, did you go to jail or get drug tested or anything like that? Did they actually have proof you were intoxicated other than the smoke in the car? If not then your all striaght.

6. To the OP, I think this is a sign my friend. Im not sure what it is you're going to school for. Anything related to law, or social science, you should totally get into lobbying for marijuana legislation in Canada, because clearly our country is fucked up (Im from Ontario as well). If you can get caught with a half o of weed that isn't even yours and have your whole future put at risk, our country is in almost as much trouble as the US. Good luck, I have a feeling you'll be just fine though.

7. Canada's laws are much more reasonable than here in the states man. You are not entrenched in a 70+ year drug war the way we are in this county.

The issue isn't what his penalty will be in Canada... but the fact that "we" will not let him back after a Canadian drug conviction.

8. I'm not sure if its that you guys wont let him in, or if we won't let him go. Either way, we both got some fucked up problems that hopefully get taken care of soon...not likely though. But at least in some of the states its decriminalized for possession of small amounts, usually under 1 oz. The most you'll get in a fine, which isn't too bad.

State By State Laws - NORML - That shows you which states have decriminalized possession of small amounts, if you don't already know about it.

9. I live in Toronto, ON. Those cops on bikes almost fucked me over on more than one occasion. Sneaky basterds...

10. That is such garbage! You have to fight that you didnt have possession! Your buddy took the heat (pretty gutsy) He has your back man, and the bottom line is, he had it! It was his! But then there is this whole "guilty by association" bullshit. You did get lucky with the beers though. You are looking at Community Service, "rehab" and some probation...You should have started the car and zoomed right into them! Splatter those motherfuckers next time.