SharpStone Grinders Are Not Good

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by aaronman, Jul 21, 2009.

1. #41 aaronman, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009
    It's just self praising humor, there is no stoner ranking scale.

I imagine level 7 is pretty high up there though. :smoke:

edit: I remember a head shop owner refer to himself as such, that's where I drew it from. I believe it is a D&D reference.

2. Yeah.. i've had mine like 5 months and it grinds up (actually more cuts up)((that's why its calledsharpstone:D)) extremely well still, but the keef catcher is pretty shitty. The screen is waaaaay too fine for a good amount of trich's to pass through. Other than that, its pretty gnarly

3. i just bought one today for 30 and the teeth are already bent and one of them happened to break off. not only did they break but when i opened it, it cut me pretty damn bad :p

4. Wtf are you guys grinding up in there?
    Jesus christ lol.

All of my friends, as well as myself, use sharp stones.
    No problems yet!

Keif catchers are wicked fine though.

5. You cant get an aluminum grinder period. Aluminum is a very soft, weak metal that will give you little metal shavings on your weed and eventually bend/break the teeth. Take it as a lesson and look for something non-aluminum. Sharpstone makes a few that arent aluminum(titanium I think) that I've seen and they work amazingly. All Aluminum grinders are crap though. The chromium chrusher is made from a new metal called chromium and is fairly durable. My friend got one on ebay for 20$ and it works rather well.

6. Yea I like my sharpstone but it is missing 2 teeth:rolleyes:

7. Bullfucking shit !! All of the SpaceCase's and Cosmics are aluminum and they are the BEST grinders on the planet with NO reports of shavings or bent teeth.

8. damn, i just bought a SS and it should be here this week, im really hoping i wont have end up with broken teeth n such. i guess ill take it easy on the little guy when it gets here

9. Ripped off in so many ways. $80? lol, you could have bought a space case or 4 sharpstones. I also bet it was a cheap remake. Metal bending? Ive heard of the shavings...but wtf? Are you the incredible hulk?

10. #50 WhosGotTheHerb, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009

really? No one around me has bought a space case but all the ones online are titanium. You must have an old one...

edit: like this one:http://cgi.ebay.com/Medium-Titanium...in_0?hash=item2ea6d2e13e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I did just find an aluminum one so nvrm. I always thought they were all titanium because of the price. I would never pay that price for aluminum. apparently they use a nicer aluminum called aerospace aluminum but who knows.

11. #51 lwien, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
    ALL of the SpaceCases are made of aluminum. They don't make a grinder made out of titanium. What they are are aluminum grinders that are anodized with a titanium coating, but that is just the top end of their line. Their main line of grinders are non-coated aluminum grinders.

You just need to be careful with the advice that you give and do a bit of research before putting out false information like telling everyone that "all aluminum grinders are crap".

12. right on man.

13. Yea space cases are legit aluminum grinders, that would suck having aluminum shavings on weed tho.

14. Yeah I have the same one as the OP and it did the same thing. My buddy bought it, way overpacked it and broke three teeth in the middle and bent all of them and got metal shavings in his weed(he was smoking regs by the way). I bought it off of him for 5 bucks, drilled wholes where the teeth were and put screws there but I still get metal shavings. I never eat hot lunch though so I dont worry about it too much.

15. I rawx mah space case boyeeeee

16. I have a sharpstone, paid $30 for it and a lil bag, and havent regretted it once. Plus its purple. :hello:

I think a big thing is how you stuff bud in there; do you break it up a bit first or just smoosh a nug in there?

The guy who smoked me up my first burn just shoved buds into his and broke a few teeth. Not sure what it was I just remember him bitching about it.

17. i have a sharp stone. only cost me 45 but no teeth have broken and i use it 5 to 6 times a day. i like mine, but space cases are better.

18. You should be fine if you break up your buds and push them between the teeth manually.

Yes, I am the Incredible Hulk.

Yea I thought they were cool looking with clear tops and colors and stuff.

Like I said, it probably happened from the several times when I stuffed a lot of bud into it and started mashing away. I did this with my old space cases all the time, but you cannot do it with Sharp Stone.

Thus, in conclusion, SharpStone Grinders are not good. Good for $20 though.

/thread
    (you guys can stop posting to say how ripped off I got) :smoking:

19. How about just not exceptional? Cause I'd say mine was good haha

20. #60 Fëanor, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
    I've seen several Sharpstones have teeth break. I would never buy one.

For many years I've had great luck with my no-name 4-piece aluminum grinder. I think I paid $40 for it. It has teeth, and they are so much better than pegs. I cram big nugs in there to the point where the bottom of the lid is well above the top of the grinder. I never worry about stems. I just make sure to keep the lid flat so the teeth stay in alignment and don't catch on each other.

If I fill the grinder I can easily fill an average blunt wrap. It also has a nice wide, deep bottom beneath the screen. If I let it get a medium coat on the bottom it will fill an entire bowl with super-fine kief.