Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

how do you not cough (get used to the smoke)

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by sweethatred, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Isn't what your saying kinda counteracting what you mean... From what i know THC is absorbed through the lungs in to the blood stream. If caused blood to rush the head you would get more THC at once and quicker causing you to get higher...but the more intense high wouldnt really last too long.

Again this is just my knowledge i could be completely wrong...

2. I have this theory that probably isn't true at all....anyways, after a large hit I try to replenish my lungs with fresh oxygen asap, slow deep breaths. I'm talking about like monster bong tokes though. I only do those so nothing else really makes me cough lol :smoke:

3. Well as everyone said keep smoking. No ciggarettes though.
    But as for now heres a little trick you can do before your hit.

1: Relax
    2: Exhale as much air as you can until you need to breath in.
    3: put your mouth on your bong / pipe.
    4: Light it up.
    5: Fill the chamber. -
    6: Clear it.
    7: Hold it.
    8: Repeat ;) .

Ive found this helpful on taking big rips.
    Still may not help you hold the smoke in , but you will be able to take more thats for sure.

No matter how harsh it is, just embrace it. Eventually you won't feel it anymore.

4. it's probably me being weird, but when I used to cough it was cause I was blowing the smoke out over the back of my tongue. I tried it with my tounge on the bottom of my mouth and it just let the smoke come right out easily, no coughing or anything.

5. I would imagine that coughing is just caused by bigger hits/ hits being held longer. which is why you're getting higher. not the coughing itself. however i also read this

"when you 'cough' , your lungs are expanding beyond what they normally would, they are 'gasping' for more air, using parts of the lung not normally used. So in reality, you should be absorbing more THC when coughing.":bongin:

6. Saul is right coughing does nothing for your high. If weed makes me cough, it's because it's pure crap that wasn't dried or cured properly, so it's too dry, and it irritates the throat, if you've got good quality stuff, and you take a nice gentle hit, you can hold it for a few seconds, then exhale, then take a hit again without even taking a breath in between, thats the real secret to getting higher, not bigger hits, just more of them.:smoke:

7. I have been smoking daily for 7 months and have built up a huge tolerance :( but I still cannot smoke cannabis from a glass pipe or joint without coughing my head off. If I smoke joints (my preferred method) I make spliffs with tobacco mixed in. It seems to be the only way for me and I still have to be careful not to take too big of a rip or I"ll still cough.

I dunno what it is, but that stuff really irritates my throat and makes me cough.

8. This This This ^^^^^

Coughing does not increase your high. I'll go one step further, and tell you that coughing too much while smoking can cause terrible throat problems like esophagitis, and even cancer. The tissues that support the heart, lungs and throat, although tough in their own way, are much weaker than other "support tissues" in the body. (Believe it or not, I've learned more about bodily tissues since becoming sick than I did when I was studying nursing.)

Like Tripace pointed out, if your herb is causing you to cough, and sputter, and hack, it is most often due to the fact that the weed you're smoking is A) utter crap, or B) the one who grew it didn't take the time to dry it and cure it properly, in turn, making good weed crappy.

Either way, my advice to any smoker would be to try to control your coughing. If you can keep yourself from coughing, it is better for you. I keep a cold drink at my side whenever I smoke, and I take a drink immediately after each inhale to cool and soothe my throat. I cannot enjoy my smoke if I'm hacking up a lung after every hit, and I'll never understand those who want to cough. :confused:

9. enjoy it and appreciate it.

10. When I first started smoking I wouldn't cough but I certainly couldn't talk for a good minute after taking a big hit. It was like a dream, I wanted to talk, but nothing would happen.

11. Don't think about coughing. If you are expecting to cough, then you're just going to give in at the first sign of harshness.

12. in my opinion coughing is a good thing because u know you took the biggest hit you could, which if anyone fully fills their lungs with smoke they will cough!

13. thats not always the case lol. It could be the type of blunt or jay(idk bout bongs or pipes) and the way they were rolled. For example i can take a deep hit with a bluntville to the point where i look too see if its still lit cause i don't feel shit, while if i take that same long hit with a double platinum i'd probably cough up a lung lol.

14. The best advise I can give is keep smoking. Also get a good rig, A good quality bong with an ash catcher will help make the hits much more smooth allowing you to take monster rips in no time

15. Lol the same happens to me sometimes except all i can do is whisper

16. Really?:eek:

17. Mind over matter my man, Mind over matter.

18. No. I'd like to know where he/she heard that.

Your throat will develop ulcers though, and they can bleed if not treated and healed in a timely manner. If one continues to do damage to their throat, over time those ulcers may have to be removed surgically or risk them becoming cancer.

19. Take smaller hits, I do more of a snap or a lung capacity bowl that allows me to exhale smoothly without coughing. I do this because I've realized coughing sort of destroys things, it causes pain and makes your mind track offward of the thought of being high, honestly coughing for me, ruins my high. I never cough