Can someone tell me why marijuana is called pot?

• by ihatemyusername
  • Jul 13 2009 07:21 PM
  • 29 Replies
  • Please log in to reply
  • Spark & chill

• ihatemyusername
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

I've never understood this at all:confused:
Replies (29)

• Smoke weed every day.

• ModderXtr
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

You can grow it in a pot?

• Bronze member

• _linux_
  • Bronze Member
  • 675 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

yea y is it called pot? makes no sense lol
  • 420time229 likes this

• Cannabisxz
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:27 PM

"The nickname Pot comes from the Spanish word Potiguaya, which means Marijuana Leaves. It’s a Mexican-Spanish word that is a contraction of potación de guaya, which referred to an alcoholic drink made of marijuana leaves soaked in Brandy or Wine. The name became popular in the United States in the late 1930s and early 1940s."
  • k.smith904, Lastrealindian, when2k and 2 others like this

• born on 4/20

• PipPipPip
  • GreenSparkle
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

"The nickname Pot comes from the Spanish word Potiguaya, which means Marijuana Leaves. It’s a Mexican-Spanish word that is a contraction of potación de guaya, which referred to an alcoholic drink made of marijuana leaves soaked in Brandy or Wine. The name became popular in the United States in the late 1930s and early 1940s."

yes he speaks the truth :smoke:
  • Lastrealindian likes this

• Boogie Man

• k.smith904
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 5,805 posts

Thanks for the newsflash Tom Brokaw!

jk, I didn't know that until now. :smoke:
  • Lastrealindian likes this

• 0/0 = 1???

• PipPipPip
  • DivisionByZero
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 50 posts

you sir.. you win

• Spark & chill

• ihatemyusername
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:02 PM

Okay thanks. /thread:cool:

• Banned

• Santa
  • Banned by Moderators
  • 424 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

I feel enlightened

• Jflutts
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:12 PM

I feel enlightened

yea me to

• I want to be this guy

• Raoul Duke II
  • Gold Member
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

The real questions is why is pot called marijuana? Marijuana is a term put out by the Reefer Madness Craze to scare Americans into making their beloved Indian Hemp/pot/cannabis illegal. It was a crazy new Devil Plant all those Evil Wetbacks were bringing into America to destroy our youth! It most certainly was not hemp, the plant that in all actuality made America.
  • BeatsandGrass likes this

• Guest_sensiblazer_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:21 PM

The real questions is why is pot called marijuana? Marijuana is a term put out by the Reefer Madness Craze to scare Americans into making their beloved Indian Hemp/pot/cannabis illegal. It was a crazy new Devil Plant all those Evil Wetbacks were bringing into America to destroy our youth! It most certainly was not hemp, the plant that in all actuality made America.

No. Marijuana was a word for cannabis used in Mexico long before the reefer madness craze.

• I want to be this guy

• Raoul Duke II
  • Gold Member
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

No. Marijuana was a word for cannabis used in Mexico long before the reefer madness craze.

It was used by very few people in comparison to any of the others, in fact it was very far from common. That's why it worked.

• Guest_RepentYeNbelievethegospel_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

Pot AND marijuana were Spanish/Mexican words made up to sound scary right before prohibition started. Everyone back then knew what cannabis and hemp was, but since they used different words, it became a classic case of fear of the unknown.

• Spread the Herb

• br0ken
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

+Rep :)

• Hero of Time

• SIRSOG
  • 42,340 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

• Puff Puff Pass

• Bud The Med Toker
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

And the point that he has neutral rep dsnt help... lol hey atleast I did learn something from an old thread

• lookupimhigh

• 1bakedpotato
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 5,857 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

i smoke pot

• Pip
  • oahucowboy94
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

Thought it was because your parents flushed it down the pot