what do you think about math?

Discussion in 'General' started by e_to_the_x, Jul 8, 2009.

1. So I want to know if there are any other stoners who love math, so let me know here:

1) What do you think of math? Do you enjoy it? Since it's my major obviously it's relevant to my interests.

2) What's the highest level math you've taken? I took intro proof writing last semester, I'm taking real analysis + abstract algebra in the fall.

I think it'd be cool to have a stoner friend to talk about math with when I get blazed. If you are interested let me know. We can chat on AIM or something sometime when I am blaze/you are blazed/we both are blazed.

2. dude im doing some statistic homework right now and i want to kill myself. This shit is hard.

3. stats is one area of math i know very little about =[
    i'll have to take a class in that sometime, wish i could help you

but if you ever need calc help or anything dont be shy, send me a PM or something i can definetly help you out there

4. I HATE math. The only math I did well in was geometry, and by good I mean I passed with a B, instead of a D.

Im back in school now and had to take a refresher course. First week we started with addition and subtraction, we ended with some shit I didnt understand and now I have to take a harder class.

It doesnt even pertain to my major, math blows major monkey nuts.

Question about classes that dont let you use a calculator.
    When are you going to ever have to do this shit outside of school where you cant use a calculator? Or even a reference. If I need to do math on the job, I doubt they will mind if I use some notes or the internet to get it done. I cannot see a reason for classes to not let you use a calculator.

5. Well for raw calcuations and stuff, sure, you will always have access to a calculator but that's not at the point. When you're at the grocery store and the sign says 25% off, sometimes it's more convenient to be able to just do that shit in your head. Another time it helps is when gambling. Being able to calculate odds really fast can help you make quick money. Plus doing mental math in your head is good for your mind, keeps your wits sharp and helps you think on the spot more.

There is more to math than adding and subtracting numbers tho.

6. thanks man i appreciate it. So have you ever used your math skills to make some righteous bucks:devious:

7. Well what's your major? At the most, you'll probably have to take math for liberal science if it really doesn't. I personally love math, I just don't know toooo much about it. I'm about to learn trigonometry as I'm taking a class this fall with that + pre-cal. I slacked off in high school with math. But ever since I've been in college, I've just learned so much.

8. I enjoyed physics which is basically math, but it was only intro. I thought it was fun to use like 2-3 pages of formulas and calculations to figure out the answers to the problems. Since then i dropped out of college though, I dont reccomend it. Hopefully I will go back some day.

9. I know there is more to numbers than adding and subtracting. I was talking about in a work environment. Most of the stuff that you have to do on the fly that isnt work related I can usually do, if not make a guess to get close.

I have a double(triple?) major Business advertising/marketing/speech. I know that I have to have at LEAST calc. What really sucks is I have to spend about $2000 on classes just to get to College Algebra, where most people are when they leave high school.

I hate math, and math finals make no sense to me. How the hell are you supposed to study for something like that?

10. I fucking suck a math lol. It took two school years to pass Algebra 1-2 with a -D. I pass Geometry with a C just recently by cheating on the finals, and I am going to do Algebra 3-4 for my senior year. I am not quite the genius. =P

11. my theory on math:

1. its entirely too complicated for its purpose. its pointless becuase we now made technology in order not have to do math. but we still learn how to do it. i hate showing my work because what if i do it differently and get the same answer THERE IS NO WORK TO BE SHOWN.

2. calc.

but some people really like math so props to them.

12. I'm sorry to all you blades that don't like math. I do it for my job. I'm a research statistician and love every minute of it. I haven't had a ton of experience with abstract algrebra (although I've heard that it is some of the hardest stuff out there). Good luck with your classes, man.

13. I am dyslexic, so math is not my friend. you cant work problems when the numbers keep flipping, i failed accounting, lol. I can doSimple math up to like big algebraic formulas and basic organic chemistry (major reactions and eletron rings) equationsin my head. if its calc or advanced algerbra i am fucked royally.

14. I played poker with kids in my dorm last year quite often and won quite a bit more than I lost

15. i dont get what peoples beef is with math. i mean its the one thing in this world that is a sure thing everytime. completely consistent, ever fixed. its a science. but not something you have to grasp. its like right there the entire time.

i always was top in my classes. i didnt give a shit about my classes but math was just easy you are always given the solution in the question. but i guess since i can visualize things better than 90% of the population then it makes it easier.

i just dont get how people cant get their heads around a^2+b^2=c^2 thats a fundamental FACT

not like sometimes, not on most occassions, always. never changes. so why cant you remember that. i dont see how in highschool so many people can fail simple algebra.

i think its cuz they either didnt care or didnt try. personally i find math the most fun thing because its so easy. all forms from simple algebra to non-linear equations and perpetual physics. man that was an awesome class.

i should go back to school just to school everyone in math. that would be fun to be top dick again.

16. I just read a paper called "semantic analysis of dyadic deontic logic". It was great. I also have a t-shirt w/ Kurt Godel that says "Godel your problems, realize they aren't even complete".

17. I've been waiting for this thread for a long time.

I'm taking calculus 2 at a university this summer. My major requires me to go through calculus 4.

The thing I love most about math is that it can explain and somewhat accurately predict pretty much everything on earth.

18. I can count to potato!!!

19. Math is okay I suppose.

BUT FUCK ANALYTIC GEOMETRY!

20. i´m asian. i´d eat that shit up like it was friiiiiie ricee.