coffee grounds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Bubble_Bubble, Jul 8, 2009.

1. someone told me that adding coffee grounds to your potting soil can help plants grow better. Is this true? Trying to get some new ideas and plans, so when I get off probation in 3 years I'll be able to start a nice grow.

edit: for the grow I had, I use just regular organic potting mix, and then started using miracle grow mix after the first transplant. I had to transplant the thing three times in 1 month.

2. Coffee grounds make up part of the brown material I add to my compost heap. But I would hesitate about adding any unrotted vegetable material direct to my plant´s soil.

3. ok. thanks, I was curious about this, we dont have a compost pile, per-say. its more like a huge pile of leaves, and dead tree branches. But we have been piling on it for around 15 years, and I'm sure there is some lovely brown material underneath the top layers.

4. actually coffee grounds are part of the *green* material even though the color is brown...Its a slow release nitrogen...very good for the vegative stage which just loves nitrogen... green material nitrogen...brown material carbon...for the compost pile

5. so adding a small ammount of grounds directly to the soil will help? I can get lots from work. we serve french press coffee in single servings, so we waste a lot of grounds.