--- the vaporizer club ---

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by JCrohn, Jun 25, 2009.

How do you think inhalation affects the temperature of vaping?  It doesn't change the temperature of the heating element...

It cools the oven by way of a convection current.  When you draw air from the vaporizer, you are moving hot air away form the source of heat (oven walls in the Pax), and cool air drops down and replaces the hot air, as it is more dense.  Then, when you are not drawing air from the Pax, conduction will heat the oven and material, creating hot vapor and you will repeat the cycle.  If you draw too fast, you will be drawing hot air out of the oven too fast and there will be no time for the material to heat by conduction.

Basically there are two stages - 1 - conduction heats the material and produces vapor in a confined space.  2 - convection moves the hot air out of the vaporizer and allows the process to continue without overcooking material.

2. #21942 Markc05, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
    This convection stage you are attempting to justify, will be maybe 2-5% of the total vapor production. The reality of it, is almost all the vapor you will get out of a pax is from the conduction heat transfer between the walls and the plant material. This is the exact same as an MFLB, except the mflb regulates heat production by 2 things, inhalation speed, or length of battery discharge. 

Actually inhalation speed does cause a temp drop across the heating element. If it didn't there would be no heat transfer. It is respectable that you are trying to defense it for this long, but if you can't take our word for it, you should do some research. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/1qpq62/convection_and_conduction_dbv_vs_pax/
    Please entertain my wish for you to join this conversation, and debate the pax's convection ability. Due to my lack of interest in the pax, I have not read up much on it.
    http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pax-vaporizer-by-ploom.6223/

The basics are simple though. Pax is a conduction based vape. 

3. #21943 organicali, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015

I agree that the Pax is primarily conduction based

I didn't say the convection was what was responsible for producing vapor, the vapor is produced by conduction heating in the oven.  Convection is what moves this hot vapor out of the oven.  The motive force is your inhalation, rather than a fan like in the volcano, and it goes to a mouthpiece rather than a bag.

The proper function of the Pax relies on both conduction and convection.

The MFLB has elements of infrared heating, although it is primarily conduction.

Conduction vaporizers are really never "purely conduction".  

http://www.vapeworld.com/convection-vs-conduction/

"We say “primarily” because virtually every vaporizer utilizes a combination of both, with the contribution of the secondary principle varying depending on the design."

"The success of the Launch Box has inspired other designers to create new vaporizers that rely primarily on conduction. (Remember, there is a secondary convection effect at work as well in these designs.)"

4. http://blog.torontovaporizer.ca/2013/05/conduction-vs-convection-vaporizing.html
    http://www.leafscience.com/2014/02/26/choose-vaporizer-conduction-vs-convection-infographic/

Simple search phrase ' convection vs conduction'. The laws of thermodynamics dictate what is a convection or conduction based heat transfer. There are likely hybrids which have different shard properties. 

5. Please actually look at this link
    http://www.leafscience.com/2014/02/26/choose-vaporizer-conduction-vs-convection-infographic/

And read this
    http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/is-this-conduction-convection-hybrid.16219/

And tell me that your pax's oven doesn't heat up, and that there is an open air heat source, or potentially any air heat source. Your oven heats up, with your weed in it. That's conduction. That's it, that's all. 

I said in my previous post that I agreed conduction is what heats the material and produces vapor in the Pax.  

If a convection current isn't what moves this hot air out of the oven and into your mouth, than I'd like to know what does.  This is what cools the oven and keeps the material from overheating.  Thus, there is some temperature regulation by convection.

If you read through the FC thread you just posted, you may have grasped this.  See quote below:

"*However* you go get *some* convection even with many portable conduction vaporizers through the action of cool air flowing through the chamber and into the load."

7. anyone got arizer air? ive seen most of the reviews on youtube but still not 100% keen if i should buy it or not.

8. Air is awesome. Slimmer version of the solo with removable batts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Yes I just got one too and have been enjoying it the last few days. What else are you looking at?

can you tell me if you get completely 100% clouds using air? i have mflb and i dont ever make bigger enough clouds like i do with a joint.. and how are the highs from 1-3 levels

11. I just bought the MFLB from my local head shop. They were out of stock so I got the display model for 10% off. ended up paying $115 with tax.

I also have the Arizer Air and I really like it. I had to send it in for a warranty claim but I've only heard of one other person that had a problem with theirs.

I don't think this guy understands convection yet.  Convection occurs when heated air is run over our herbs, not cold air.

Actually, convection is simply the flow of heat, in this case gases.  Hot air leaving the oven and being replaced by cold air happens because of a convection current. It occurs primarily because you create airflow when you draw from a vaporizer like the PAX/MFLP.

14. Dude you need to stop trying to tell us what convection is and start listening to what we're saying about what convection REALLY is. You are completely wrong with this convection "theory" your talking about. Pax is conduction so is mflb. No convection. All conduction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. #21956 organicali, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015

I have a science background.  I know what convection "really is".  I've used various types of heat transfer methods in biochemistry labs for  years.

Quote straight from the Pax inventor, Ploom CEO.

“Convection, conduction and radiation, right, those are the three general modes of thermal transfer,” explained Monsees. “A lot of the products that are sort of in the PAX space are pigeonholed into one of those three things. It makes sense. One of these three methods is going to be the primary way that you heat whatever it is [you are vaping]. They don't work alone. PAX is primarily conduction-based. There is also a radiation and convection components to the product. So you're always kind of optimizing all these different thermal transfers. Some people would label it as a conduction-based vaporizer but when you really dig into it, there is a lot more going on to make [the PAX] work really well.”

Work really well?   Well.................that's debatable.

I bold italicized the part of your quote you don't seem to understand.  You don't transfer heat to herbs with cold air.  If you are bringing cool air into the oven then you aren't vaporizing anything via convection.  Try it...put your bud in a basket in front of a fan and turn it on and see if any vapor is produced!

What vaporizers have you used before?

18. #21959 organicali, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015

You must have not read what I posted correctly. I never said cold air moving into the oven produces vapor.

I've used the Volcano, Pax, MFLB, Arizer Solo, and a few pens.

19. Again, you're wrong. Turn your Pax on high and let it sit there without hitting it. It won't overheat. It will just waste your bud.