Smoking out of aluminum can bad for you?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by SuperDiesel666, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Lol you're probably right that they waste a ton of weed. That would explain why I could take one hit from my friends bowl and it would do to me what like 4 hits from my can would do. I remember there would always be smoke going up in the air even while I was hitting hard. It was hard to get a good pull on it. Well I just recently heard about Boston Hempfest which is in September...right after I go back to college in Boston anyway! So I'll buy a piece there, I heard they're cheap.

2. Hey man,

I really wouldn't keep doing it. I mean there's no way that you haven't been burning the can if you smoke out of it a couple times a week or whatever. I honestly would just walk to the nearest gas station and grab one of their glass bowls for $10, yeah it isn't a fantastic piece, but it will probably look cool and it's MUCH better then a can.

3. I'm actually pretty sure that the aluminum linked to Alzheimer's is debatable.

I heard something like they did studies and you'd have to heat the foil so hot until the point of it vaporizing or something like that.

4. check ebay. you can probably find a pipe for $10 or so. you're wasting more than that out of every bag smoking from a can.

5. don't buy a visa gift card. I tried to order something from grasscity, and it rejected my card. I emailed them and they said they do not accept visa gift cards or pre paid credit cards.

6. I've read of alzheimers and such from tin foil and aluminum.

7. It isn't good for you, but the only link between aluminum and Alzheimer's is that Alzheimer's CAUSES high aluminum levels in the brain, and even then it doesn't happen to everybody with the disease. Aluminum does not cause Alzheimer's, it's actually more likely the other way around. Does anybody actually look stuff up before trying to post it as fact?

Aluminium and Alzheimer's disease - Alzheimer's Society

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. I know I might be setting a record for bringing up an old post, but how does Alzheimer's cause aluminum? You can't claim it causes something in one direction but not the other - all you can say is that there is an association of some sort (likely spurious) which I think has been proven to be dubious association at best. Only replying to this postso that people don't search it (like me) and this there's any validity to it.

9. I thought metals have high boiling points...how can the flame cause so many particles to be ejected from the physical solid foil itself? I know the flame itself can get very hot especially near the center of the flame but is that close to or higher than the boiling point of aluminum? I can't see any other way for it to be carcinogenic...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. There's tons of cheap glass on the web

11. Aside from the post being from 2009, aluminum from a can or foil is indeed bad news. It isn't something you want to do on the daily.

You could get an aluminum down stem and bowl to use on plastic bottle bongs or even a cheap aluminum pipe.

12. #34 jollyrancher1, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Here is some information:
    Why I'm Concerned About the Dangers of Aluminum
    Aluminum exposure is not bad for you.
    What is bad is the fumes from welding or burning the stuff.
    Metal fume fever - Wikipedia
    Smoking out of a can or foil would be harmless unless you used a welding torch to light the stuff and you would have to vaporize the can or foil, well above the temperature mj burns at.
    I think the worst is smoking from a brass pipe that is soldered together.
    LEAD exposure and that is cumulative.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
  13. use anything but that shit. when i was out of papers then i smoked out of a can a few times, made my lungs hurt for days. just go get a pack of raw if you dont want to spend a lot on a pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. I did look this up ages ago and came to the conclusion that a bic lighter does get hot enough to melt aluminium. The flame temperature is something like 200C over the melting point of aluminium. It is however not nearly hot enough to boil aluminium.

And much more relevant, a bic lighter is several hundred degrees Celsius too cold to melt aluminium oxide. You know that layer that sits on the surface of aluminium objects that have been exposed to the atmosphere for any significant amount of time.

The aluminium oxide layer is what makes aluminium bowls and stems safe to smoke from even if the flame directly hits the metal. Airflow from toking as well as the cooling effect of the downstem being in water, significantly help in keeping the temperature down.

What makes smoking out of a can dangerous is how thin the metal is, reducing thermal capacity and limiting thermal conductivity. This lets the aluminium becomes much hotter, increasing the risk that you inhale aluminium and -oxides.
    Add to that the paint and what ever crap they treated the inside with so the acidity of the cola doesn't eat the can. Yeah you should never use a can to smoke from.

And for what it's worth grasscity shows up on my bank statement as JFL b.v. or something like that.

Worst case scenario there's always dhgate which as far as I know accepts burn cards. Or laboratory glassware. However if you go that route buy new glass only. You don't want to assemble a rig from used lab glass only to find out that it was contaminated with benzene or some arsenic salt when you end up in A&E.