I think I am killing my babys!! Help please

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Samatha Barski, Jun 16, 2009.

1. The only place my old soil goes is into the garden:)

Hey Sam, I had to laugh, I have all the same things you have:) I have that exact light, the exact fan, and those pots in that colour:) Do yourself a favour, rip the bottom of those pots off. That drip catcher part comes off if you put some force into it. There's not enough drainage in those pot and I had a problem once because of it. When you remove the bottom it gives you six holes instead of three. Use something else to catch the water, I use those aluminum pans that you cook turkeys in:)
    Also try to find some 5 gallon pots for the future, they outgrow those 2 gallons really fast. They're on sale at those dollar store kind of places now. I just bought a bunch for $5 each.

2. [​IMG]

Ok as you can see my biggest plant is starting to curl under it self!!!
    What to do... what to do?

Staci,
    hi I noticed the same thing about the planter when I bought them, You cant tell from the pick but I removed the bottom part of the planter and drilled out the six holes to 1/4 inch, and cut the tabs that where on the bottom part of the drip try and just have them sitting in their, Great minds think alike! LOL Also I had the girls in five gallon buckets from home depot, But removed them when I had my gnat problem, I am going to clean them real good and transplant them back in their in about a week or two. They are only 3.95 at home depot. Thanks for the reply!! :)~ Samatha.

3. Looks like you may have an easy case of over watering,adding 25% perlite will keep water from this dreaded state.

If it is it should fix itself in 12-36 hrs.;)

4. The taco makes me think it's pH or light/heat stress, since the plant was just transplanted. I agree about the perlite though, I amend my FFOF with perlite and a couple of tablespoons of garden lime for pH.

5. well i sure hope it was not caused by over watering cause i just flushed the plant like 2 hours ago! LOL. I hope i did not screw things up even more.:confused:
    Thanks for the reply!

6. Thanks for the reply! I tryed checking my ph but aperantly my PH metter does not work cause it always says 7.0 no matter what I test it on. 40$ down the drain. lol. And the other ph tester I have is one for a pool and the lowest it goes to is 6.8 so i have no real way of knowing the actual ph for my plant.

Thanks for trying to help!~~Samatha:wave:

7. leap frog you legend! your plant doesnt even have any fucking leaves! PURE BUDS... yummy:smoking:.. i agree with the over watering part.. ive got an outdoor grow (green house) i live in the UK btw so you'll understand the green house lol.. and i water my plants when ever i feel like it .. say.. give it a few bottle cap fulls oneday same day after leave it for 4 days give it a nice watering 50-60ml leave it say a week give it another nice watering couple of days later a cap full and so on.. i dont no why but these wet and dry spells seem to work wonders for my plants and my soil is 60/40 soil to pebbles they love some thing to hold on to... try watering them like i do with way the dont become depend getting in to a rountine lazyness will result in a lazy plant.. for me i think doign it this makes your plants hardy help fighting against desiese and other things good look with your grow.. end of the day just use it as a learning curve and next year come back and show us your 6ft weed monsters :D

8. #48 SexyStaci, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
    I'm going to go with overwatering myself. Relax on the watering a bit, those plants are still little. You shouldn't have to flush anything for a good while. That also explains the gnat problems. Gnats love soaking wet soil. With a plant that size, in a 2 gallon pot, you'll probably only need to water them once a week or so for a little while. Roots need oxygen too, if you keep watering them, they will drown, I assure you. Pick the pots up when checking. If they are really light, it's time to water. If not, let em go for a while. I leave plants in pots that are half that size until they are well over a foot tall. I transplant 2 times throughout the entire grow anymore. The original little seedling pot (2 liter pop bottles cut in half), then to a one gallon to be vegged and sexed, then to 5 gallons for the rest of their days. Stepping up pots in increments allows the roots to take over the whole pot, you'll know when it's time to transplant because you'll have to water them almost every two days, it truly keeps me from overwatering. Since you just repotted, it may be some mild shock, no big deal, they'll recover. I know you love them, but not so much love. Cool down, they'll be fine. Let em dry out for a little while. And don't re-pot them again in two weeks, let the roots grow through those whole pots, I wouldn't touch them again until they were AT LEAST 2 feet tall.

9. Yeah, shock was my first thought, good to know about the overwatering, though, I haven't experienced that, fortunately, and I was hoping to curb the newbie tendency to overwater with perlite. I suggested moving the lights up for a while to let her ease into the new pots and recover from the shock.

10. also if heat is a real problem i would look at buying a 400 watt t5 set up from htg its more efficent also 92 lumens per watt with t5s and with mh its 80 per watt so 2000 more lumens less heat and you can put them like 4-5 inchs away from the plant

edit also it stops that fucking balast noise i hate that noise

11. I disagree with everything you said, except the heat factor, which is true. If given the option to use a T5 fluorescent or a metal halide, I would definitely go with the MH. Her light comes with a MH conversion bulb and a HPS bulb. That's as good as it gets for the price. T5 HO's are no better than T8 HO's, except they cost 20 times more and save some electricity. And they buzz way more than that 400 watt ballast, which is damn near whisper quiet. What noise is everyone talking about? I have a 400w and a 600w and neither make any noise other than a very soft hum. That one fan will make way more noise than her ballast.

If T5 produce more lumens and higher output, then you show me your buds from a T5. I'll, at the very least, double the yeild everytime plant for plant with my 400 mh/hps. I won't even throw the 600 into the equation. T5's are great for veg and that's about it, but honestly are no better than the much cheaper T8's, I don't care what HTG says on their site. Mh's are definitely great for veg, then she can just just change the bulb to flower. I use fluoros myself, but just for clones and really little plants, if you have good side lighting, maybe a few moms. But MH is the way to go if you want nice thick bushes.

12. Ok I swear I have done nothing to my plants, here is problem # 99!

The bottom leaves are turning yellow, not only the 2 round ones( which i read is normal) but the 2 leaves above the round ones, The leaves above them are turning yellow around the edges and tips and the new growth looks kinda yellow. and the leaves are curlling up like a taco( Which I read is a form of heat stress), The thing is my temps are only 78-80. Also the veins on the leaves are very dark! WTF could I be doing wrong now?

I got a new PH tester and checked the R/O it is 6.8
    temp low 78
    high temp 80
    never added any nutes

I am going insane! LOL

[​IMG]

In the above pick u can see the yellowing, the taco-ing, and the dark veins.
    Its kind of hard to tell form the pic but the 2 leaves above the little round ones are very yellow, and the veins look much darker in person.

Thanks again~ Lame ass Samatha! LOL:confused:

13. Mild nutrient burn. A little too much nitrogen will burn the tips like you are seeing. They'll be ok kiddo:) Sorry, for the delay in response, I was away for the weekend:)

14. Thanks again Staci!

Hope you had a great weekend! Any Idea on the leave taco-ing and dark veins?
    Also I got a soil NPK tester and it says I have no Nitrogen in my soil? Could the yellowing be a cause of to little Nitrogen? Thanks again Staci!~ Hope you have a great week!:wave:~Samatha

15. Have you flushed yet? FFOF could cause the burn.

16. Yes I flushed right after you first told me to. Thanks darookie!:wave:~Samatha

(About 3 days ago.)

17. Haha, okay good :) That looks like a magnesium deficiency to me. I've been using MagiCal for that, lots of people use a half-teaspoon of epsom salts per quart of water (much cheaper :) - my MagiCal was a free sample, or I'd probably be using epsom salts too).

18. #58 Samatha Barski, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2009

Hey bud,
    Would this work ? Apothecary Natural Mineral Epsom Salt | Walgreens | Walgreens

I hope so cause its only 2.99$ lol, Thanks!:)~Samatha

Also, Do I wait untill they need water again before I add the episom salt? or just go ahead and give it to them now?
    It will probally be 2-3 more days before they need any more water. Thanks

19. #59 SexyStaci, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2009
    Hey Sam, it's not a deficiency. Please relax. Your original soil was Mg, which has tons of nitrogen in it, enough to last a while without adding anything to your soil. When you transplanted it, you took the rootball with it I assume? That leaves in enough for a while, I assure you. You're really starting to jump the gun here on a lot of respects.

1. You should've never transplanted that plant yet, it's still little honey, that wasn't necessary and chances are you ended up with some transplant shock, hence the leaves turning yellow and drooping and all that.
    2. You shouldn't have flushed that plant yet, again it's too little. the reason you get gnats in the first place is because of wet soil. Chances are the eggs were in the soil, granted, but soaking it down just creates an environment that gnats love.
    3. Magnesium deficiencys occur in plants sometimes, when they are considerably bigger and the buds are draining every bit out of the soil, or you have some form of lockout

Your plants are too small for all of that Sam, trust me. I have a very large grow right now with over 20 plants, this is my 4th this year, all were very successful. And I have years and years of experience doing this from the time that I was 15, and I'm in my early 40's now. I'm also half owner of a greenhouse. Plants are my life and it's how I'm making my living now. I have flower gardens, vegetable gardens, fruit trees and bushes, you name it. I'm not just blowing smoke up your ass because I read too much on these boards and I think I know what I'm talking about. The strain I'm growing now is mine, from my genetics. I'll grow this same crop and pollinate them at least 4 more times to stabilize it. I have 2 grow rooms at my place and a quarantined room for the males. The point is, this is not something I take lightly.

Every grow I've taken special interest in one person on here, or on one of the other forums I use. Generally I like girls because we're outnumbered about 500 to 1 in this field. And you were perfect because you are just starting out, but have enough equipment and interest to actually produce nice plants. Please stop listening to everybody or all your going to end up with is a bunch of dead plants, or at best some undersized hermaphradites.

C'mon darookie, epson salts? Jesus, look at the size of that plant. Maybe if it was 4 feet tall and budding everywhere. But that plant should just be left alone to stabilize for a last a week or two. FFOF causing nutrient burn?? Are you fucking serious? The reason real growers like FFOF is because it doesn't cause nutrient burn, the worm castings and guano in it won't do that. It's an almost neutral soil with a stable PH that is awesome for people that like to add their own nutes, because it's relatively nutrient free. You are pointing this girl in the wrong direction on too many levels. Sam, don't give them epson salts yet. Yes it is a great idea to keep some around your grow for the future since they are cheap and it's just magnesium, but you don't need them now.

I put some pictures up of my first grow this year. These were about the same size as your plants now. Everyone of them that was female produced great buds with good quantity. I told you before, just pm me. Nothing is so bad that it can't survive for a few hours until I can respond. Trust me, I won't point you in the wrong direction.

Attached Files:

20. Here are two more pics from about a week ago. This all was from one plant. The buds were fat and sticky and had a dry weight of over 4 ounces. I don't keep grow journals anymore or take pics of my rooms for a reason, and it's not because I'm just talking shit.

A little knowledge can be very dangerous in the wrong hands... If you continue doing what you're doing, you're going to have more troubles than it's worth.

Attached Files: