Official:Urban Legends/Myths/Paranormal thread

Discussion in 'General' started by foxracing500r, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Are you Irish? Perhaps it was a Banshee.

Banshee:

Most of us have heard of a Banshee. Close your eyes. What sort of image does that word bring about? Banshee. What does your mind see? A floating, misty figure howling through the woods? Well, you are partly right. There is so much more to the story than that. The Banshee is a rich, interesting myth of a much more superstitious time in what is still a superstitious land.

Ireland is rich with stories and myths of fairies, ghosts, leprechauns and other strange things, but none inspires fear the way a Banshee does when the word crosses someone's lips. We imagine unearthly howls in the forest on a dark night. The truth can be that scary, but there is more to the stories than an angry, screaming woman in the woods.

So, What Is A Banshee?

A Banshee is called many things and goes by many names. Including Banshee, Banshi, Benshee, a female fairy, Woman of Peace, Lady of Death, the Angel of Death, the White Lady of Sorrow, the Nymph of the Air, or the Spirit of the Air.

Whatever you call her, she is one thing, and one thing alone. A Banshee is a disembodied spirit; a ghost, in other words. Some Irish believe that the souls of the departed do not get taken from this earth, but dwell here, and are tied here. They either enjoy the happiness of a life well lived, or if during their life, they lived a life of sin, they were forced to suffer punishment. The spirits of the bad are restrained; forced to pay for their sins in areas near where these sins were committed.

Banshees are spirits still tied to earthly matters. They are said to attend only to the old families. Banshees are believed to follow the family, either with good intent or ill, until every last descendant has died and been burried. Though it is said that a Banshee will not follow family members to foreign lands, instead sticking to the lovely shores of Ireland. They either had strong ties to their family, and a desire in death to watch over them, or in life, they had reasons to hate their family. This gives us two distinct types of Banshees.

Caspernia, The Friendly Banshee

A 'friendly Banshee' is one who in life, had strong ties to her family, and in death, felt the need to watch over them, and keep close to them. A friendly Banshee is not the horrible, scary thing we imagine. Banshees are rarely seen, but are said to at times show themselves. They are said to be seen as young, beautiful women, with pale faces, either black or golden hair, and long, flowing, white garments.

The song, because that is what it really is, of a friendly Banshee is sorrowful and longing. It is filled with love and concern for those she loves. It is a warning to her loved ones.

It is believed that a Banshee's song can be heard in the few days leading up to the death of a family member. The wails, or songs, are most often heard at night, and fairly often, the song is only heard by the one who the warning is intended for. A Banshee sings her song in warning to her family of the death of a beloved family member.
    Cry of The Banshee

A Not So Friendly Warning

On the other end of the spectrum is a Banshee we are all a little more familiar with. Remember that image you had in your head of a Banshee? This is a lot more in line with that.

A 'hateful Banshee' in life, had reasons to hate her family, and in death, is a dreaded visitor by the members of the family against which she has hate or anger. She is seen as an ugly and twisted, with distorted features and hate pouring from every line on her face. The screaming howls of a hateful Banshee are enough to make your blood run cold. Imagine the scariest witch from the scariest movie you have ever seen. Now make her even uglier, scarier, and screaming un-earthly howls at you on a dark night.

Rather than provide warning of the death of a family member, a hateful Banshee is screaming in spiteful, hateful celebration as a member of the family meets his or her end. It may come as a warning, but a dire, frightening warning.

2. Yay you're unbanned!! :hello:

I was going to read this last night, but I was too scared when I was baked, by myself in my dark room about to go to sleep :eek:

3. dude my sister when she was really young from about 3-4 had this imaginary friend she named casey. our old place was quite a nice queenslander style home that had been renovated but was in parts 50years old. the origional owner murdered his daughter in the house who was around the age of 3-4, my mother did some research and found out her name was also casey. it gives me chills to this day. sometimes we would find my sister talking to her and my sister still remembers what she looked like. it scares the fuck outta me. i am so stoned i wish i didnt read this thread i'm so paranoid and i want more cones but i dont wanna be watched or haunted by banshee's, good or bad ones i have no use for them.

4. This august 3 friends and i are going to roadtrip to Tikaboo peak in Nevada. It is about 20 miles from the main base of area 51 and is the only spot that you can legally view area 51. My friends are gonna camp on the peak foor 2 nights with binoculars and telescopes, hopefully we will see some crazy shit.

5. I have one really odd story.

Keep in mind that this was almost 5 years ago, so the detials may be a slightly off.

It was still pretty dark when I woke up one morning (around 4 am) to a loud buzzing sound, sort of like something mechanical, so I got out of bed and went to the laundry room where I thought it might be coming from. Nothing was on, and the noise was not coming from there, so I walk into the kitchen and listen, thinking to myself "it's not coming from the dishwasher, what is going on?" I must have checked everything in the house including all the electronics in the house and still nothing. So I sit down in the living room where the sound was the loudest at that point. I am about to turn on the tv when all of the sudden I see this cylindrical object moving around very slowly near the tv, I thought there may be two there but it was only the reflection off of the tv of the one. I am absolutely floored by what I am seeing at this point. The best way I can describe it, is, it was a semi-metallic silver cylinder with spiraling wings or fins down he side of it. I watch it for about two minutes, when I decided I wanted to go find out what it was. I get up, take one step from the couch and poof it was gone. I didn't hear the buzzing any more, and thought I needed a smoke, so I go outside with my joint and a cig, just as I am about to light the J I hear the buzzing again, and then I see a very very bright light, the light then dimmed and I could make out a vague triangle with blueish and yellowish lights hovering about a foot or so off the ground. My mouth dropped to the floor at this point and I pissed my pants. I only saw it for maybe one minute until it shot up into the air, disappearing in the sky. I smoked that whole joint in less then a minute and the cig in less than that. I didn't tell anyone about it until maybe a month after when my dad found there was a whole in the basement window (yes, the glass) the same exact same size as the first object. When I told my dad this his face went white and tried to play it off like he didn't believe me.

I, too this day, have only one explanation, and thats that I was visited by some type of alien.

6. Fuck man, you've got me shaking. That is truly scary if you are telling the truth

7. Aww, I would talk to yah while yah read it :D.

Yes, I am unbanned finally, I was sad as shit when I logged on and it said.

Foxracing500r, we're sorry, you were banned for the folowing: Underage
    Ban end date:Never

I was like WTF? and then I cried like a child..........lol jk, but its all good. Im back to spread more useless information to you guys lol.

Smoke2joints: After the years passed, I really thought about the situation. I am sure something possessed me, but unlike my original conclusion, I am pretty sure it was just an evil spirit.

The shit was scary, plus the doctor had me on a billion meds for severe depression, and Bi polar at the time. Also going through puberty and my father being an alcoholic, gave whatever it was, the power to control like it did.

The house is still haunted to this day though guys. My dad lives there by himself.
    My grandmother (Dads, mom), is another entity that would show her face there. When my father was 7 years old, he walked into his basement to see his mom hanging from a rafter. She killed herself because of my grandfather.

I do believe that she was the woman I saw. My father saw her as well. Though he does not beleive in spirits or any paranormal for that matter. I woke up one morning to find him crying on the edge of his bed, with my mom beside him. Later in the years, my mom told me , he saw her in his mirror, while laying on his bed.

My neighbor across the street has seen her in our front window. We were away on vacation back in 2004 or so. Our neighbor;s daughter was only 5-6 or so. Well my neighbor told me while they were getting into his truck, that his daughter was staring at our house, and finally asked her dad "Who is that lady in Thomas' window?" my neighbor saw nobody.

When asked what the woman looked like, I almost freaked out, she described what I saw to a T.

8. i find that statement somewhat ignorant. let me refresh your memory. all of north america is indian land. 'indians' are native americans. native americans are indigenous to north america. so if u live here in north america you are on indian land... you goofy gus! you see why i find that statement a little silly sounding? unless you live in india... which would't make it any better

9. Didnt they find Jimmy Hoffa buried in the middle of some farm?

10. Wow, a thread that's a few months old just resurfaced. I'm glad it did though, I was planning on making a paranormal thread sometime.

Anyway, I'm really into paranormal and supernatural things. I haven't had too many experiences, (at least not many that can't be explained in any normal way) But I have, for all my life, seen flying orbs. People would say, "Those are planes." and I say, "Planes have blinking lights. And you can hear them." These orbs have always been silent and unblinking. Someone tried to tell me that they were satellites. And I say "How can satellites fly beneath the clouds?" On a few occasions I've witnessed these things fly beneath the clouds, and again, they never have blinking lights and are always silent.

One day, a few months ago, I went out just as it was turning night. I was about to light a cig when I saw 2 of these orbs flying together. 99% of air traffic I see out here flies in the opposite direction of these things. I know a commercial airliner when I see one, (and hear one) and I know military choppers aswell, which fly around these mountains sometimes. But no, these things were flying toward the mountain, and it seemed that a brighter one was leading a dimmer one over there. And as I observed it would seem, that the dim one would wobble, ever so slightly. Sounds kinda like something rotating with cintrifucal force to me.

I don't know their origin, they very well could be military aircraft we don't know about. But still....it's kinda weird.

11. my first thought when i started reading the thread was how many people are going to try and accuse him of being underage lol

i can't believe the mods actually banned you when :eek: glad to see your unbanned again :)

when i was younger 4-8 i think. i lived in a house in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. the person who lived in it before us was a very kind old man who died when he was trying to fix something on the roof and fell off the ladder. There were always small things that would happen in that house nothing ever mean or hurtful. small things like rocking chairs often rocking by themselves, and clocks stopping or going the other way. the biggest thing that sometimes happened was our ladder (which was his, it was still at the house when we moved in) would sometimes be up on the side of our house, always in the same spot. the ladder was normally kept in our garage. no one in our house ever felt threatened or scared of the old guy, if anything he was more like a friend to us. i've lived in lots of different houses and there was a definite presence in that house that hasn't been any of the other houses i have lived in.

the loch ness monster is real.

12. wow its late, dark, and storming here and i am high as hell reading these stories..

i was gonna try and just go to bed, but i dont think that's gonna happen for a little while. I keep thinking that something is going to be standing in my doorway when i look at it. lol.

13. i lol'd
    kuklinski said he was stuffed in a car trunk, crushed and shipped over seas as scraps. or maybe it was that he was stuffed in a 55 gallon drum and placed under a gas station in ny.. i can't remember. one of the two though. then again he said he killed like 200 people for the mob and was proven to lie about a lot of mob murders to seem more important.

14. I heard he was killed and put in cement , the foundation to some baseball stadium.

:rolleyes:

15. It was the NY Giants, and Mythbusters busted it

16. That is some real shit. You ever thought about going back out there with a couple buddys to do some more exploring ?

17. i definatly believe in the paranormal
    ive heard a lot and seen a lot
    i love it
    me and my sister are planning a myrtles plantation trip soon :D
    and hell yeah we are spending the night

18. I have a few stories but this one really stands out to me...

Back in the day I used to ride my quad ALL day every day, when I wasn't working, at school, or playing hockey, I was probably riding my quad. There were trails through the woods from where I worked to my house and all around where I worked, so many times I would just ride my quad to work and park it in the garage because I started work when I was too young to have a license. The trail to my house was about a quarter mile in the woods, down a small country road, then into the woods again for about another mile, in the second leg of woods there is a gate you have to stop and open every time you go down the trail about 100 yards after you get on the trail. So one night around fall 2004 I was riding home from work around 7 or 8 at night, right after the sun went down completely.

I get to the second part of the trail where the gate is and I get a weird feeling like something bad is going to happen. When I get off the quad to open the gate I just got a funny feeling like someone or something is about to attack me, so I shined my headlight around (It's attatched to my handlebars (yamaha blaster if you're wondering)) and I saw nothing. So I opened the gate and drove through, jumped back off and locked that gate again. I was wearing good clothes that I didn't want to get dirty, and the second leg of woods is muddy in spots so I always drove slow on this trail to avoid flinging mud all over myself. I get back on and start going and after about a quarter mile I see something white as far ahead as my headlight would shine. There was like a 2 foot deep ditch on my left, which was like 2 feet wide also and it was covered in like long weeds laying down.

Up ahead I saw something white laying in the grass alongside the trail and I was like wtf is that? It wasn't there earlier or I would have seen it. The closer I got the more I could tell that it was a person and when I go to within like 15 feet I could see it was a person laying face down in jeans and a white t-shirt with long brown hair. I was still going pretty slow and when I got to around 5 or 6 feet away this person jumped up and started walking in the same direction as I was going and turned it's head to look at me with the scariest smile I've ever seen. It's face was dirty but the smile was clear, It didn't have eyes, just 2 black holes. When I got beside it all i could hear was an intense scream, and as soon as I heard the beginning of that I tapped third gear and ripped the rest of the way home, my clothes didn't matter at that point, I was terrified. That scream is so clear in my head when I think about it. It's like a scared scream but with so much anger. That path only leads to my house and a neighbors, so whatever it was was on it's way to one of those apparently, which only scares me more... I never rode that path at night again, and I always tried to carry a gun with me. There is a legend of a headless womans ghost on the road between trails, and many people that live in that area remember when a few local news stations were running around there looking for this headless woman people kept seeing back in 1954. Not suprisingly, the farmer that lives nearby chopped his wifes head off with an axe in winter of 1953. Could that be what I saw? Could it just have been a crazy crackhead that fell asleep? I live in the country so there aren't many of those around ya know? I don't know what that was and probably won't ever find out...