3 leaf marijuana Plant

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by paperb22, Jun 11, 2009.

1. I have a plant as well with 3 leaves well actually 2 of them. The rest have 7 leaves It's weird but looks visually pleasing genetic mutations I guess?

2. Thanks, I have one of these too and I was really having a hard time figuring out what this was. Glad to know that it's called trifoliate.

3. ever heard of three leaf afgany? hence the name (3 leaf)? it is a pure indica plant.  i love 'em when they have 3 leafs. kick ass bud!!

4. Okay, I have not ever seen a three leafed plant before granted this is the first time I've grown one but I thought that pot plants had five or more leafs. This one is about four weeks old. It's a hybrid skunk x white widow. It's had nothing but organic stuffs with two 140 watt grow lights. It's a female grown from a seed not a clone but three leafs are all it's grown so far and I was wondering if you think it was coming along good? 130729_001.jpg 130729_002.jpg 130729_003.jpg 130729_004.jpg 130729_005.jpg

5. Wish I could help!  Did you keep growing it?  How did it turn out?  I've got one growing that looks the same.  I don't have any idea what the strain is as I found it some time ago in with some meds the hubby brought home.  It is too soon to tell if male or female.  I'm at a loss with mine as my 3 other plants from clone are ready to start the flowering photoperiod.  As much as I'd like to keep it, I'm not in a position to go buy the stuff for another set up. 

6. My Killa-Watt from Seedism does the three leaf mutation and even more so on the clones that were taken from the Killa-Watt mother. Iv'e heard that the OG Kush genetics play a part in the mutation. Can anyone confirm this?
    My plants have been treated with the utmost respect that I can provide, they were never lacking at anytime so I rule out abuse or lack of care as a cause, for my situation anyway, but i don't doubt that stress can bring this trait forward, it was clearly showed with my clones & the act of cloning is stressful.

Very interesting topic!
    Peace.

• Like Like x 1
  7.  Most the time it's a diluted strain meaning it's been mothered too much. I have 8 fire OG's from clone last year and this year they only had 3 leaves and budded early.  Sometimes they would produce 1 leaf then 5 then back to 3 now this morning I see a 4 leaf coming up (they take longer to snapped out it).  I have a seed from last years fire OG clone growing and it has a 9 set and after topping it now has 7. Now all are 7 but will go back to 9 (maybe) and when they go into budding they will start to drop. Once they get to a 3 set that usually means budding starts. The seed cycle (a complete life cycle) starts at one leaf then goes up then drops again back to eventually 1 but in the bud. The more the # the stronger the genetics and plant. I've had plants with an 11 set but either way if you get 9 you have a good genetic clone.  All in all clones will do this but seeds will not at least that's what I've noticed in my 24 years of outdoor growing.  Most people selling clones now days over clone the mothers and the plants get weak that's why a lot of growers are turning to seed now.  Anyway that's my take on the 3 leaves.  I only grow outdoor but same applies inside I assume.  I only know from experience and friends not from reading up on it.
      Take care and happy growing.

8. #68 Nhpothead, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
  9. Looks good to me but it's pretty damn tall.. you might want to lst that when it can handle it. Top it also so it'll grow bushier

10. i have had one growing for awhile now it had five leaves for a couple of months now its budding and has turned into 3 leaves all over.... weird as hell anyone know whatsup? bud looks great doesnt smell very much though

11. (i can post a pic if needed)

12. now it is growing leaves with only one blade.. weird shiznit

13. I have a few triploid plants, three different strains. Lemon Larry OG, Strawberry Banana and also and 808 Headband. Just kind of by trial and error and reading about everything I have been able to find I don't think that it is genetic. I notice that it is mostly happening to my sativa varieties, and also that by lowering the PH with cottonseed meal and gypsum and adding a little greensand because the stems were getting purpley, anyways, I did that and then mostly my plants started growing 5 leaves, but then I cloned em and the clones are all back to 3 leaves and the mothers too. I am pretty sure it has to do with high soil PH, and lack of certain micronutrients like maybe boron? Not really too sure.

My other hypothesis is that it could be something to do with my foliar routine, about every ten days I spray the ladies with a worm casting, molasses OG biowar foliar tea, which by the way will rid anyone with mite problems of their mite problems, but that's off topic.

From my observations I believe (at least in my case) trifoliate leaves to be a micronutrient deficiency. I know my sativa's prefer a more acidic soil than my indica's and that certain minerals and nutrients cannot be efficiently absorbed efficiently if the soil is outside of the PH range. The soil PH for all my plants is right around 6.3-6.8. My theory is that since it is happening to the plants that prefer a more acidic soil, they are simply not absorbing certain nutrients that my Indica dominant varieties seem to get plenty of...

This is all just my own speculation, and really I am baffled trying to figure out if it's genetic, if it's good, if it's bad. It seems there are about as many opinions about this as there are people that have seen it. If anyone has had any success in getting their plants to switch off the trifoliage I would like to know how you did it. I have an Afgooey from strainhunters that is super kushy and hearty. light feeder decent producer and never any triploid issues. It's my DNA RPV strawberry banana that is the most finnicky.

14. I have 5 clones from 3 different flowering plants ( started with 9 but the other 4 didn't make it) and they all have 3 leafs. They are currently in a closet with a grow light. The clippings were taken in late September and put into Rockwool?cubes and they took 3-5 weeks to root. One plant rooted in about 3 weeks and we started it in a 32oz plastic cup from Taco Bell or McDonalds I think the other 4 plants took another couple of weeks to root and then we planted in similar cups. All of them were put into top soil from a bag, I think from Home Depot... nothing special. It about 6 weeks later we transplanted them into bigger "pots" (5 gallon plastic buckets) with Foxfarm Ocean soil; they were 6-8 inches tall. They have now been in these for about ~5 weeks and all except 1 are now ~16" tall and very bushy, growing almost as much sideways as vertical; the 1 other is just not growing as quick but seems healthy, it is about 12" tall.
    All of these have 3 leafs, 3 of them have had just 1 leaf. From what I understand having just 1-3 leaves is in the transition from flowering stage back to veg stage is common/expected but I did think that by now they would've started growing 5-7 leaves ... they are growing rapidly and look healthy. I'm not really concerned but I though I would pass along my experience so far.
    This is the first time we have cloned, in fact last summer was the first serious time growing outdoors and we were very successful with 6 plants but 2 wound up males.

A concern I do have? I am afraid that by the time we are able to plant these outside they are going to be maybe 4' tall and quite bushy.
    Live in Colorado and growing season isn't until at least April. We clipped for clones late because of the relatively long non-growing season and liked the idea of trying "monster cropping" ... not sure this is going to work? This will be a long growing season. :Love-Plant:

15. I AM UPDATING MY EXPERIENCE WITH GROWING FROM CLONES ...
    I tried cloning 9 "clippings" from flowering plants last October. 5 of the clones rooted and started growing in soil. When late April came - start of early outdoor season in Colorado - all of the plants were ~4' tall and fairly bushy. Our intentions were to transplant outside to harvest in the fall. Transplanted 2 of the plants outside in late April, early May - I don't remember the exact date - only did 2 at that time as a test to see if they would take ok. Still had a couple of frosts so we covered and put a light under the cover with them on those nights. They took fairly well in early May. Transplanted 1 more then and it did not do well and ended up dying after a 2-3 weeks. In the meantime the other 2 did well and started growing slowly. The other 2 plants we decided to not risk losing them and kept them indoors (we put them in our 2nd bathroom's tub, the room/tub is white) with just one fluorescent light fixture that has 2 bulbs in it, we put $10 "aquarium" lights along with a skylight in the bathroom for light. BTW, all these plants were starting to flower when we transplanted and moved, the outdoor plants stopped flowering and clearly went back into the veg stage while the 2 on the tub continued to flower. The two in the tub we let flower for ~12 weeks and then finally harvested in mid July. Recently tried some after drying and "curing" and the stuff is excellent -maybe too good for me, I don't smoke much.
    Now here we are 3 weeks into August and the plants outdoors are huge - well over 6' tall, one of them might be 7' and very, very bushy. They are clearly starting to bud. They are very impressive plants looking forward to harvesting in early October.

16. I believe this is what they are referring to. I hope these pictures of my plants help in solving the mystery.

Attached Files:

17. Are you talking about 3 leaves per fan or are you guys talking about tri-node plants?

As in tri-node plants I mean that right from sprout they have 3 of those baby leaves instead of 2, have 3 first leaves instead of 2, and grow 3 branches per node up the stem instead of 2..

Back around 2006-2007 ish I was on this forum and posted pics of a tri-node seadling, the only true tri-node plant I have ever seen in person, but I had one and it was cool but got killed..

I tried to search to find my old posts to find the username of my old account here, I think it would be cool to have my old dated account back, but probably never will..